PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever bought an H2 online?

Natasha
01-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I was wondering if any of you had experience with buying a Hummer or any car for that matter on-line? I was looking to get involved with an on-line auction for a Hummer (most you will pay for it is under $700) and I wanted to get your guys take on it.

Natasha
01-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I was wondering if any of you had experience with buying a Hummer or any car for that matter on-line? I was looking to get involved with an on-line auction for a Hummer (most you will pay for it is under $700) and I wanted to get your guys take on it.

dna
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Ya, I bought my 2003 H2 and my 99 Indian Chief both on ebay. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and to buy these types of vehicles here is hard to find and expensive when you do. Buying off ebay is the way to go for best selection and price. Even with the added cost to transport or pick it up, you normally will save at least 25% over local deals in the paper or classified.

If you will use ebay, make sure the seller has a high ebay rating (I recoemmend 25 or higher, though >100 is prefered). Make sure the seller has a good description and lots of pics, and also email him for clarification and more pics if needed - also make sure to read all the fine print of the sale as sometimes sellers hide details like they will charge handling fees or other bull**** (normally high rated sellers do not do this). Lastly, read the fine print of the sale to see what the seller wants as payment and how fast after the sale. For example, some sellers say they want $500 within 2 days and the balance when you pick it up, while others do not require any up front payment until you pick it up. Obviously, it would be prefered to find one where the seller does not require any payment up front so you can travel to the car, check it out and confirm it is what the seller claimed. Oh ya, when you check it out, if the seller lied about any of the facts or condition of the vehicle, you can tell the seller where to go and you will not be bound by the agreement.

Overall, it is a safe way to go as long as you are willing to travel to the vehicle regardless of the distance. If you just plan to have it shipped, it is more risky but as long as the seller has a very high rating it is still OK.

Thanks

Natasha
01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Since you have experience in this area do you think you an check this site out and look at their offer on the 2006 Hummer H2 - http://www.uniqueauction.com. I would really appreciate the input. I spoke with one of their admin people and they had an auction for a Nissan 350 worth over $60,000 and the guy that won it bought it for for under $700. I think that is pretty darn sweet. Check it out, and get back to me if you can.

TXSUT
01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I smell a rat.

Natasha
01-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I am just looking for help if that is not aloud please let me know, I do not want to cause any trouble. I am just looking for experience and good solid advice.

Natasha
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Can you provide an alternative way to find this information from real people who have had experience doing this sort of thing? If you can I would appreciate any tips.

DDWH
01-17-2006, 05:25 PM
weird deal, 4 month auction....furren country located. I am with ya TXSUT, something seems wrong.

DDWH
01-17-2006, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Natasha:
Can you provide an alternative way to find this information from real people who have had experience doing this sort of thing? If you can I would appreciate any tips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check dealers within a 300 mile radious. See if you can find a new 05 still sitting on the lot...they will deal big. Check for low mileage used. Check ebay, I have seen some good deals there. Check the H2 for sale forum, sometimes there are H2's in there for sale aswell.

Sewie
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Found the rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The customer is responsible for all taxes, shipping and handling charges, unless otherwise indicated.

For most auctions non-members will pay two dollars per bid and platinum members will pay one dollar per bid (50% less) for each auction they participate in.

If the bidder does not win the auction then he or she does not have to pay for their bid, but the entry fee will not be refunded.

Membership and registration to the site is free. There is a platinum membership offered with additional benefits. The cost for the platinum membership is $100. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a scam!

L.E. Sniper
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Natasha:
I was wondering if any of you had experience with buying a Hummer or any car for that matter on-line? I was looking to get involved with an on-line auction for a Hummer (most you will pay for it is under $700) and I wanted to get your guys take on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would run as fast as I can away from something like that. It sounds to good to be true, there got to be a catch. Who in there right mind would sell a Hummer for $700.00. There is always some guy out there who will come up with some "get rich guick
scheme" and some one will bite. I suggest if you want a Hummer, Go to a reputable dealer and buy one

KenP
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I am just looking for help if that is not aloud please let me know, I do not want to cause any trouble. I am just looking for experience and good solid advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Asking for help is allowed and encouraged. Now dump that "auction" site off your computer and go to e-bay. Something is very wrong there.

KenP
01-17-2006, 06:01 PM
BTW, here's one you can check out:

SUT for sale. (http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/4616043161/m/5981070351)

Natasha
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your input I am definetly taking all information into consideration. It is nice to hear others perspectives.

Boss Hoss
01-19-2006, 04:15 AM
are you kidding? After you buy your h2 for under $700 let me know but dont tell anyone else. We could start a Hummer car lot with 6,000% profit.

After looking at my post i shouldve been nicer. Usually it comes down to if it is too good to be true it probably is. I had a run in from an advertisement on Autotrader.com once. They guy was selling an 03 H2 with something like 12,000 miles for $19,000. To make a long story short he lived in England and couldnt drive it their as its not a right hand drive so if i put $10,000 into an "escrow account" he would ship it for my inspection....this is a scam and the "escrow account" is really a western union wire directly to him/her. Good luck finding an H2 in your price range but be prepared to pay the price of a car for one, not the price of a go cart.

TXSUT
01-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your input I am definetly taking all information into consideration. It is nice to hear others perspectives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This kind of reply reeks of spammer.

Dewi2005
01-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I looked at this auction site and read some of the rules.. it appears that each bid can only be in $.01 increments (ie first bid you place = $6.01 next bid you place = $6.02). It costs $1.00 to you for each bid placed.. So if you bid the item up $1.00 it will cost you $100.00 to make the bids.... this is where they are making the $$$ What a SCAM....

kodiakz
01-21-2006, 02:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Natasha = The Scammer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
X2
Nice try getting folks to look at bs! I am sure that if you ask enough people and look reeeeaaallllyyy hard, you will find hundreds or even thousands of $60,000 vehicles ready for you to drive away today for under $1000. Yeah right! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif