PDA

View Full Version : 4 Wheel Drive

JohnnyBoy
01-28-2003, 05:54 AM
Is the H2 always in a 4 wheel drive high unlocked mode during regular everyday driving or is the back two wheels just powered and you have to switch it to 4 wheel mode?

==================================
03 Hummer H2 Adv./Lux. Pkgs. Sunset Orange W/Sunroof
Air Spring Susp. Pkg. + 3rd. row seat
http://www.haugens.com

JohnnyBoy
01-28-2003, 05:54 AM
Is the H2 always in a 4 wheel drive high unlocked mode during regular everyday driving or is the back two wheels just powered and you have to switch it to 4 wheel mode?

Steve R
01-28-2003, 06:37 AM
The H2 doesn't even have a 2-wheel drive mode...it's always in 4-wheel drive, it's noted as being 4Hi-unlocked. This is also known as "all-wheel drive" or "full-time 4x4"

JohnnyBoy
01-28-2003, 06:42 AM
I assmed it was always in a full time mode, but my 4 hi-unlocked button is not illuminated in everyday driving.
I was also doing some reading in the owners manual and it talks about pushing the 4 hi-unlocked button.
Should this be lit during my everyday driving or could there be something wrong with the light because mine is not lit?

JCJ
01-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Your 4hi-locked button (E in pic below from manual page 2-76) is supposed to be lit! Try pushing it.
Check w/ dealer.

JohnnyBoy
01-28-2003, 01:05 PM
I will check again to see if it is lit. I haven't driven too much at night so maybe I haven't noticed it.
Just curious though, if the vehical is always in 4 hi-unlocked mode, whats the need for having a 4 hi-unlocked button?

Texas Red
01-28-2003, 02:03 PM
The 4 Hi-Unlocked button should be lit and visible during daytime driving. If no 4WD lights are on, it's probably just the light itself. But the dealer should fix it at first opportunity.

It's required because you have several choices, not just two ( e.g. go/no-go).

SJ
01-28-2003, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyBoy:
... Just curious though, if the vehical is always in 4 hi-unlocked mode, whats the need for having a 4 hi-unlocked button?

The H2 has a 4 HI Unlocked button so that you can return to default driving mode from other settings. Example, I go through a mud pit in 4 HI Locked and then get ready to return to dry pavement; I select 4 HI Unlocked and I'm back on my way.

The torque split is 40/60 and the H2 is a 4 x 4, not AWD.

AWD as found on Jaguar X-types, Audi Quattros, and BMW X5s are driven by a single driveshaft. Torque is usually divided evenly among wheels, but newer AWD vehicles can electronically distribute torque to wheels having the most traction (via a computer system).

JohnnyBoy
01-28-2003, 03:32 PM
I hear ya guys. Under further examination the 4 HI-Unlocked butten is lit.
I guess I was just used to my Grand Cherokee with the Quadra-TracII/Quadra-Drive.

Steve R
01-28-2003, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SJ:
The torque split is 40/60 and the H2 is a 4 x 4, not AWD. QUOTE]

SJ....I hate to be a stickler...BUT you'll please refer to your H2 owners manual and open it to page 2-28. You will then notice the heading "ALL WHEEL DRIVE". The manual then proceeds to explain how our all-wheel drive works.

I tend to agree with you, it's not the same all-wheel drive that other manufacturers have...but Hummer refers to it as All-wheel drive nonetheless. It's actually full-time 4-wheel drive...but I'm making reference to it as the book does. So I don't stand corrected

Now to help JB: always keep it in 4Hi-unlocked and your light should be lit on that button at all times unless your in another mode.

PLEASE DO THIS: turn off your H2 and remove the key. Re-insert the key and start the engine. As part of the "start-up" you will notice all the indicator lights on the buttons light as they computer spins-up the quicky systems check. If your button doesn't come on...it's two things: 1) just a light problem and 2) the dealers problem to fix/repair/replace.

SJ
01-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Steve:

I hadn't noticed you previous post, just coincidence. The reason I touched upon the topic of AWD versus 4WD was that I felt it to be a parallel with the whole sequence of Transfer Case modes.

I suppose the H2 is a both AWD and 4 x 4 - you're absolutely right. The dealer calls it AWD at times and the wheeling mags tend to call the H2 4WD in their tests.

The funniest is when Audi owners call their quattro cars 4 x 4s. No Transfer Case with a LO setting, so I tend to think of them (and BMW X5s) as AWD, but not 4WD.