PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Checked my Hummer. They said all H3's have the same problem

ASJ
09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
So I went to my dealer to have the
rattling sound inespected in my hummer
because everytime I
go uphill or press on the gas pedal to
2500 rpm and hear my engine sound stressed
out (some fluttering near the intake,
light rattling).
They were able to reproduce the same sound
by pressing the gas pedal and brake at the
same time up to 2500 rpm on my H3. They reproduced the same rattling on a few other
H3s in their dealership. They contacted Hummer about the issue, and Hummer responded by saying that this is a non-issue right now until they
figure what to do. The dealer said it sounds
like the timing chain. Probably because the
Hummer is underpowered to lug around that
weight. Anyway, anyone else have this issue?

ASJ
09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
because everytime I
go uphill or press on the gas pedal to
light rattling).
They were able to reproduce the same sound
by pressing the gas pedal and brake at the
same time up to 2500 rpm on my H3. They reproduced the same rattling on a few other
H3s in their dealership. They contacted Hummer about the issue, and Hummer responded by saying that this is a non-issue right now until they
figure what to do. The dealer said it sounds
like the timing chain. Probably because the
Hummer is underpowered to lug around that
weight. Anyway, anyone else have this issue?

H3ProspectKy
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
No, I don't have that problem with mine. I don't think it is "all HUMMERS".

ASJ
09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I mean it's not THAT noisy, but you
can hear the engine stressed out especially
when you go uphill.

Rachmunas4Life
09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Man I hope I won't have the same problem when I'm going up the mountain roads of Colorado.. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

H3 Hummer
09-16-2005, 01:02 AM
I live on a 12% grade and I don't have this issue. When going over Snoqualmie Pass here I have to push down the gas but drive in the fast lane just fine.

H3OH
09-16-2005, 01:10 AM
WTF

All this talk about the "rattling" noises and issues is starting some concern on my end. I guess I should turn off the Monsoon for a while and see what in the sam hell is going on.

I live in Texas, and hills are all around... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasRTR78
09-16-2005, 02:50 AM
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gifLOL....same here...I never have the stereo off while driving...guess I should do the same to see if I hear any "rattling" noises...COURSE, I will just have to punch it to produce the stress...I live in Texas, too, but no hills here, just flat land and lots of caliche dust! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

f5fstop
09-16-2005, 07:51 AM
I have driven with the monsoon off to try and hear some of these strange noises the happen "on all" Hummers, and so far, no noise.
I'm 57, and I have learned throughout my many years, (last 14 in the car industry), never to believe what 80 percent of dealership service people say.
If they are not competent enough to fix a problem, there normal response is GM (or Ford, or whomever), cannot fix the problem and it is normal.
I cannot believe that someone at GM said that this is normal and they are not doing anything about it...IF it is as large of a problem as the dealer implies.
As an employee of GM, I can tell you, they have a quality push on that is driving many crazy.
As for the timing change, it is set to a particular specification, and if it rattled on the H3, it would rattle on the Colorado/Canyon, since it is the identical engine. Torque is torque to an engine.

I would recommend that the dealer pull out his chassis ears (a require tool), and drive around till he locates the problem, and then either confirms it is the timing chain or some other source.

usetosellhummer
09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
It makes noise, it will sound like the engine is going to pop out of it if your not used to trucks. It has plenty of power just winds up a bit to use it. Go buy a big towncar so yo won't hear any noise. this is what happens when car owners buy off road vehicles. I saw it so many times it makes me sick.

bparker
09-16-2005, 11:04 AM
If all hummers do this then mine must suck because mine doesnt rattle. I guess I need to take mine back to the dealership and bitch to them about mine not rattling enough!

1COOLH3
09-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Here is a new Service Bulletin for the problem and the fix:

Buzz or Rattle Noise - keywords 3.5L heat L52 nut RPM shield #PIT3475B - (Sep 15, 2005)
Buzz or Rattle Noise While Driving Under Load from the Exhaust
2004-2006 Chevrolet Colorado Pick Up

2004-2006 GMC Canyon Pick Up

2006 Hummer H3

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Buzz noise from the engine compartment or exhaust area. This may occur while the engine is under load or driving with the RPMs between 2200 and 2800 under load. The noise may also sound like it is coming from the air cleaner area. This concern only applies to the L52 3.5L engine.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Buzz noise from the engine compartment or exhaust area. This may occur while the engine is under load or driving with the RPMs between 2200 and 2800 under load. The noise may also sound like it is coming from the air cleaner area. This concern only applies to the L52 3.5L engine.

Secure the nut above the O2 sensor.
Secure the nut on the #1 exhaust tube.

usetosellhummer
09-16-2005, 01:05 PM
with the H2 it was the skid plate and exhaust rattleing. First year stuff it happens

jp's-h3
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I have the 5-spd. no such problem w/ mine

Marc H3
09-16-2005, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ASJ:
because everytime I go uphill or press on the gas pedal to
light rattling).

… Probably because the Hummer is underpowered to lug around that weight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_BLUE">FYI: The 4 Door </span><span class="ev_code_RED">*</span><span class="ev_code_blue">Colorado/ Canyon weighs approx 5,000 lbs and is at least 240 lbs more weight than the H3. If this was a vastly "underpowered" engine the then it surely would be a larger complaint with the other 4 door trucks that the I-5 goes in.

BTW: VERY FEW are complaining about lack of power on the 4 door Colorado/ Canyon. </span>

<span class="ev_code_red">*4 DR 4x4 weighs in at 5,000 </span>

ASJ
09-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Where do you get the Service Bulletins?
Is it available online?

HummerJim
09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
It sounds like a truck, as it should. 22,854 miles and the only thing I found you don't want to do with the engine is mash the pedal to the floor from a static position. If you do that, it will whine and grunt and talk to you. Otherwise no problems, and I probably have more mountain time in my H3 than anyone and don't even notice it downshifting and find it quieter than the wife's Xterra. If anything, I find the engine noises music to my ears, when the Monsoon isn't on!

Gun Oil
09-25-2005, 06:47 AM
I experienced a similar noise this week while renting an H3 from Budget at the Denver Airport.

Scared the crap out of me, as it would manifest after driving for about 20+ minutes at highway speed. It comes on as the throttle position is increased.

Sounds like the "Flubber" car.....REAL hard to describe.

The weirdest thing about it is it goes away if you stop and idle for a couple of minutes.....

Me thinks.....a potential drive train issue... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif3

Although no loss of power......just a real lame ass noise!

dukein
09-26-2005, 12:34 AM
I have a Basic Pkg with 1822mi on it but haven't heard any rattling noise (knock on wood). I went up and down the Sierra Nevada Mountains/Lake Tahoe area taking the toughest climb (hwy#50 & Kingsbury Grade) over the weekend but did not noticed any, perhaps my stereo was too loud.

ASJ
09-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Drivetrain issue? What does that mean?
What is drivetrain? Should I trade in
my H3 if that is the case?

Brian H
09-26-2005, 04:21 AM
The drivetrain is located directly below the muffler bearings http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

bparker
09-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Personaly, i think you need to trade your H3 in for a honda civic and be done with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ASJ:
Drivetrain issue? What does that mean?
What is drivetrain? Should I trade in
my H3 if that is the case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ASJ
10-06-2005, 02:24 AM
funny guy. anyone know updates to this bulletin?

primal-hunter
10-06-2005, 10:02 PM
The only time I have heard an unexpected noise is when I dropped off a 2 foot ledge going twenty five miles a hour. Now I know why we have seatbelts. Everybody fine although the dog no longer likes riding in the front seat@!!!