PDA

View Full Version : What types of problems do you have with your truck?

johnnyrako
12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Many of you were H2 owners and switched over to the H1. Are you happy with your decision?

I was reading in another post how many problems people are/were having with their trucks.
Alignment issues
Maintenance costs
Water Leaks
Etc...

How much truth is there to this?

Some said they were much happier with their H2's over the H1..

I have been looking for a H1 and would appreciate some honest feedback.

johnnyrako
Many of you were H2 owners and switched over to the H1. Are you happy with your decision?

I was reading in another post how many problems people are/were having with their trucks.
Alignment issues
Maintenance costs
Water Leaks
Etc...

johnnyrako

Alignment issues
Maintenance costs
Water Leaks
Etc...

JollyRoger
12-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Very few problems. However, the H1 and H2 are NOTHING Alike other than the Hummer name.

You couldnt pay me to drive an H2.
My wife likes them due to the "comfort" inside, etc.

But if you want to off-road, leave the H2 at home so it stays in one piece, and take the real Hummer.

johnnyrako
12-13-2004, 03:15 PM
I am looking for real honest advice as to how much time you spend having your truck fixed.

Beastmaster
12-13-2004, 10:44 PM
I'll use myself as an example. I wheel at least 2-3 times a month, and the rest of the time, it's a daily driver.

I do all my own servicing, with the exception of lube/oil/filter - which a local nearby quickie lube does for me roughly at the cost of me buying the oil at a local auto shop.

So, here's my actual schedules:

A Service - Every 3000 miles - Lube/Oil/Filter. My time, 30 minutes waiting for the quickie lube guys

Before and after every off road trip - Lube every Zerk fitting. Total time, 20 minutes

B Service - 2 to 3 hours, it's every 6000 miles. Includes the A Service at the quickie lube.

C Service - Every 12000 miles. Includes A and B, and is more detailed of an inspection. Give it about 4-6 hours depending on what I need to fix.

Unexpected fixes - I have had four in the past two years - Vacuum pump, Head gasket, glow plugs, and power steering gear. Vacuum pump - 4-6 hours. Head Gasket, two people at 8 hours. Glow Plugs - 2 hours (by myself), PS Gear - just happened. Give it about 6 hours by myself if it's not a hose. If it's a hose, 20 minutes.

So - I spend about 3-4 hours a month, averaged over 1 year.

I can definitely say that I have kept the repair needs at bay due to the Severe Duty cycle service. It's effectively halving the lube jobs, or in my case, I lube the truck before and after each run. My idler and pitman arms are still the original upgraded Moog parts that were installed when I first got the truck 2 years ago.

Want to look at what's involved? Check out this site:
http://www.amghummer.com/Maintenance/Scheduled/scheduledMaint.htm

Buckeye Hummer
12-13-2004, 11:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnnyrako:
I am looking for real honest advice as to how much time you spend having your truck fixed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too Damn Much!!!! I ALWAYS had my truck in the shop for everything from broken heater to alignment and finally screwed rear locker. My truck was probably in the shop a third of the time and should have been there more but I got so tired of taking it I let a few things go. Believe me I didn't go in for peeling paint or stupid stuff like that either, it was all mechanical.

ssgharkness020147
12-14-2004, 03:49 AM
Steve,
What took 4-6 hours to do the vacuum pump? I have done mine a couple of times now, both times took under and hour.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beastmaster
Vacuum pump - 4-6 hours.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

johnnyrako
12-14-2004, 11:06 AM
All and all, the truck is not so bad as long as you pay attention to it. It sounds like Buckeye had some issues with his Lemon but the rest of you were pretty good.

Beastmaster
12-14-2004, 01:53 PM
My fault for not having the proper pulley puller. It's what happens when you don't have the right tools.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssgharkness020147:
Steve,
What took 4-6 hours to do the vacuum pump? I have done mine a couple of times now, both times took under and hour.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GeneseeMtn
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I keep up w/ the scheudled maintenance & have had 2 unexpected (out of scheduled maintenance) fixes. One was a leaky geared hub seal & the other was replacing the starter. The new hub seal costs $17. I upgraded the starter to a marine sealed one, so I spent a little more, but you can rebuild one for a couple hundred bucks.

Most people who read the list think the maintenance is worse than it is because some people only post when they have a problem they need help with. By enlarge, if you keep up w/ the regular maintenance - you won't be surprised. In my case, both unexpected repairs were due to non-service/abuse of the previous owner.

By my opinion & most H1 owners I know - It's worth every penny & second you spend on it. I don't even like getting in my wife's car anymore & would never consider driving it or any other vehicle as my daily driver (except maybe a new H1 http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

Happy Hummer
01-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I have had my H1 about 8 months (6000 miles) and it has been in the shop at least 10 times. I have had the injection pump replaced, 3 brake calipers, new rotors, heater, batteries, rear bed cover, glow plugs, 4 new tires, 2 new 2- piece wheels, and now cold air is coming in from the outside and no one can find the source. Would I sell it, HELL NO!!!!! This thing is GREAT. I never regret selling my H2.

ROB

GeneseeMtn
01-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Many "used truck" buyers suffer from the lack of maintenance from the previous owner. If you buy a warranty, this hassle & cost goes away.

If you keep up with the expected maintenance, my bet is you will have very few surprises.

Harley
01-29-2005, 12:58 PM
I've had my H1 in the shop once for non-scheduled problems (the compass in the mirror went out) with 7000 miles on the truck.... the only other non-scheduled visit was to fix a gouge on the metal rocker after I got a tad close to a rock on a trail...

I too am a previous H2 owner -- I'm often asked why I got an H1 -- I tell them there is no comparison, nor do I even attempt to compare them when asked. Like the old Harley saying, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!"