PDA

View Full Version : 03 Pewter Exterior Paint Code for touch up paint

ree
04-28-2006, 01:33 AM
My option code sticker only has U 382E on it where the color codes should be:
http://www.eeaston.com/gallery/d/1673-1/2003H2OptionCodes-paintcode.jpg

The auto shop I was at looked up this code in their book and we came up with Duplicolor touch up paint labeled NG GM 490 "Pewter Met." as the color. The bottle looked too dark but it was the only one that said "pewter" on it and it matched according to their book.

Well, it's not the right color. It actually looks like the darker gray of the interior dash plastic.

Is the U382E on my option code an interior paint code? If so, what's the exterior paint code?

Find didn't turn up a list of H2 paint codes. I swear I once saw a thread, but can't find it anymore. Jason did it get nuked during the purges?

ree
04-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Bump, for the early to bed/risers.

OrangeCrush
04-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Yes, 382E is the paint code. It's a Basecoat/Clearcoat setup.

If you're just brush touching stone chips, stop at the dealership and get some touch up paint.

The reason I say to stop at the dealer is because touch up paint from the factory is Lacquer. (anotherwards, you don't have to brush on basecoat and then brush some clearcoat on it)

I've got 3 complete mixing systems at my shop and with all that at my disposal, I still order factory touchup paint for my stonechips.

Hope that helps.

Mark

ree
04-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Mark,
Since the color I got (per the book at the NAPA) was defintely not the same color as my exterior, do you think they just messed up? The pait I got is called Metallic Pewter and has that paint code onit, but it doesn't match!? When I get back home I'll snap some pictures.

I guess I'll try to get the right stuff from a local GM dealer.

ree
05-01-2006, 01:47 AM
I tried taking pictures, but they are far from conclusive due to lighting issues.

The bottle color clearly looks darker than the paint. When I dabbed some on a chipped area and it looked way darker too.

But when I went to take pictures, I painted a white index card to hold next to the paint. I was able to smooth it out in a really thin coat as I wasn't trying to restrict myself to a tiny, well defined area and, I'll be damned, it looked really close the exterior color. But still a tiny bit darker...maybe.

Personally, I think it looks a lot more like the dark gray dash surround, but under incandesant lights at night with the shiney sparkles in it, I just can't tell.

One thing to note is that 382E doesn't show in Duplicolor's 2003 GM color matching charts and their charts don't include Hummer. The paint I was told to get was based on the 2002 GM tables. So maybe they don't have a proper 2003 Hummer match.

Since it seems to be such as hassle to apply smoothly, and because it still doesn't look like a perfect patch, and because it doesn't include the clearcoat...I'll be visiting a dealer this week getting their paint.

OrangeCrush
05-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by ree:
I tried taking pictures, but they are far from conclusive due to lighting issues.

The bottle color clearly looks darker than the paint. When I dabbed some on a chipped area and it looked way darker too.

But when I went to take pictures, I painted a white index card to hold next to the paint. I was able to smooth it out in a really thin coat as I wasn't trying to restrict myself to a tiny, well defined area and, I'll be damned, it looked really close the exterior color. But still a tiny bit darker...maybe.

Personally, I think it looks a lot more like the dark gray dash surround, but under incandesant lights at night with the shiney sparkles in it, I just can't tell.

One thing to note is that 382E doesn't show in Duplicolor's 2003 GM color matching charts and their charts don't include Hummer. The paint I was told to get was based on the 2002 GM tables. So maybe they don't have a proper 2003 Hummer match.

Since it seems to be such as hassle to apply smoothly, and because it still doesn't look like a perfect patch, and because it doesn't include the clearcoat...I'll be visiting a dealer this week getting their paint.

Sorry, had lost this thread...

Firstly, touch up paints very rarely match exactly when they are metallics. The metallic content tends to either stay at the bottom or float to the top either making the result too dark or light.

Don't exchange years. Many times, the tints that make up "X" color are changed year to year even though it's the same paint code. Not guaranteed but still possible.

You're best bet is to do as you're doing. Stop at a dealership and pick some up. They probably have it in stock... it'll be about 5 bucks.

HTH's,

Mark