Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Regearing? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42292)

MVR 155 02-01-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Regearing?

If you struggling with the idea of 4.10 vs. 4.56 then I would suggest using the calculator to see what your highway cruising RPM's will be, if you will be fine with the 4.56's then I would go that route as it will likely yield better mileage and pick up around town and have a minimal effect on highway mpg's.

Also keep in mind that while 4.10's will get you back to stock RPM's you are still moving a larger amount of unsprung weight with larger wheels tires so you likely will still be a bit short on performance vs. stock with the 4.10's.

tyler1bo 02-01-2012 06:12 PM

I think that just convinced me! I will look at 4.56s on trailduty.com for a decent price. Thanks for the help guys! I would have known what to do if I had the 4-speed but I wasn't exactly sure with mine.

2010_5thgen 02-01-2012 08:59 PM

what have we determined would be good on the 4 spd? and how will the gearing effect highway driving along with city driving? i dont wanna be cruising at 65mph and 2500RPM or anything.

guruerror 02-01-2012 09:11 PM

I guess I don't see how 'how many speeds' your tranny has would effect a person's decision on what gears to purchase for the diffs.

It's all about the ratio of the drive shaft to the diffs...unless I'm missing something.

tyler1bo 02-01-2012 11:09 PM

For your truck I've seen/heard 4.56s and 4.88s..charles06 runs the same setup as us and he has 4.88s, he loves them.

H2Much 02-02-2012 02:49 AM

I too am running 4.88's and 40's on the tires; I love it and drives great on city streets and on highway. The only part where I am having a power struggle is when I get going over 70mph and there is any incline in the road. This will cause my ride to struggle a little bit on power and causes it to jump into 3rd gear. I am rocking the 4 speed too though, so I know that the power distribution will be different if you have a 5 or 6 speed, so keep this in mind.

I have been researching to see what is going to be the best option for me to fix this dilemma. I want to avoid the supercharger based on the ridiculous cost, so I am looking into the following: a turbo, a custom tranny, any little upgrades like a throttle body spacer, any other custom works to get the added muscle I need to roll at higher speeds. If it comes down to it and I end up having to go the supercharger route, than I will more than likely buy a new crate engine that is more powerful than my existing one and spend the $5 G's towards something that won't blow up.

Then again, I am always open to feedback from you pros out there who have been there, done that...

pwrhse2k 02-02-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2Much
I too am running 4.88's and 40's on the tires; I love it and drives great on city streets and on highway. The only part where I am having a power struggle is when I get going over 70mph and there is any incline in the road. This will cause my ride to struggle a little bit on power and causes it to jump into 3rd gear. I am rocking the 4 speed too though, so I know that the power distribution will be different if you have a 5 or 6 speed, so keep this in mind.

I have been researching to see what is going to be the best option for me to fix this dilemma. I want to avoid the supercharger based on the ridiculous cost, so I am looking into the following: a turbo, a custom tranny, any little upgrades like a throttle body spacer, any other custom works to get the added muscle I need to roll at higher speeds. If it comes down to it and I end up having to go the supercharger route, than I will more than likely buy a new crate engine that is more powerful than my existing one and spend the $5 G's towards something that won't blow up.

Then again, I am always open to feedback from you pros out there who have been there, done that...

Get a DMAX conversion!

Consider this....The GEICO commercial with the little piggy flying down a zip line of a snow capped mountain - Just before he passes the chump on the opposite zip line, he pauses and says "Pure Adrenalin...Weeeeee....Weeeeee?Weeeeee" That is the exact feeling you'll have after driving a DMAXed H2! GET A MF DMAX conversion!!! You will not be sorry. 'Nuff Said!

2010_5thgen 02-02-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrhse2k
Get a DMAX conversion!

Consider this....The GEICO commercial with the little piggy flying down a zip line of a snow capped mountain - Just before he passes the chump on the opposite zip line, he pauses and says "Pure Adrenalin...Weeeeee....Weeeeee?Weeeeee" That is the exact feeling you'll have after driving a DMAXed H2! GET A MF DMAX conversion!!! You will not be sorry. 'Nuff Said!

for what....around 25K.... there has to be a cheaper way to get good power without going boosted or swapping in a diesel.

charles06 02-02-2012 02:33 PM

I'm still able to pull up slight inclines without the truck downshifting at speeds over 70mph. I think the long-tube headers made a big difference, too.

2010_5thgen 02-02-2012 04:21 PM

i think im going to start with a tune before i jump into gears. that will be my last resort if i dont notice any improvement from the tune.

charles06 02-02-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i think im going to start with a tune before i jump into gears. that will be my last resort if i dont notice any improvement from the tune.

You won't. Same thing I did.

guruerror 02-02-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

I'd just do the gears...it's not terribly expensive or complicated...and it has DEFINITE gains that you will DEFINITELY notice.

...and, plus, you may be up for a diff fluid change anyway. Kill two birds with one stone.

Stellar 02-02-2012 06:20 PM

I absolutely recommend 4.88's if you're going to spend the money for new ring and pinions. Throttle response will be dramatically better and if you choose to run 40's down the road or tow, you'll make it easier for your motor to get the power to the wheels.

tyler1bo 02-02-2012 07:12 PM

This has become a good little thread..;) keep it up! And charles06 would you please post some pics of your rig!!

charles06 02-02-2012 07:38 PM

I know. I know. Still being lazy.

I agree with the 4.88's. You won't notice the 4.56's enough.

2010_5thgen 02-02-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guruerror
I'd just do the gears...it's not terribly expensive or complicated...and it has DEFINITE gains that you will DEFINITELY notice.

...and, plus, you may be up for a diff fluid change anyway. Kill two birds with one stone.

actually, before i bought my truck off the lease, i had all the fluid flushed and changed. now running royal purple in the diffs.
wont a tune be needed anyways if the gears are changed? not to mention i dont have my speedo matched up right.

2010_5thgen 02-02-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles06
I know. I know. Still being lazy.

I agree with the 4.88's. You won't notice the 4.56's enough.

so 4.88's will be good with 38" tires? what will i notice after having them installed? and will anything be compromised?

guruerror 02-02-2012 08:14 PM

Correct...you'll need to tune for the gears and tire size.

guruerror 02-02-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

so 4.88's will be good with 38" tires? what will i notice after having them installed? and will anything be compromised?

Your highway cruising RPM will be higher but it should jump off the line...well, as much as a big metal box can 'jump.'

2010_5thgen 02-02-2012 08:19 PM

will these work? http://www.amazon.com/Precision-GM9F.../dp/B003EM73FQ