Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   H3 Dead in driveway - 3rd time now (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16460)

RubHer Yellow Ducky 10-17-2006 01:13 AM

Re: H3 Dead in driveway - 3rd time now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash ?
This is one of those Ipod interfaces that does an FM broadcast right..?? Does it stop broadcasting and shut off when you remove the Ipod from it's cradle..?

With the truck running tune a portable radio into the ipod broadcast and the shut the truck down.. Is it still broadcasting the Ipod..??

I'm betting these guys wired into the first 12vdc they could find and that woulda been the cig lighter plugs and they are always on in the H3..

--
Rob

WHAT cig lighter ???

RYD

usetosellhummer 10-17-2006 01:13 AM

YUP I made sure they did not do that with the sirius s50 in my truck

f5fstop 10-17-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
WHAT cig lighter ???

RYD

\

The hole where the cigar lighter element would go, if you purchased the cigar light package....:beerchug:

mountainbiker 10-28-2006 12:18 PM

cmeinck, has there been any resolution to your problem?

RubHer Yellow Ducky 10-28-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5fstop
\

The hole where the cigar lighter element would go, if you purchased the cigar light package....:beerchug:

Thank goodness I only DRINK & Chase Women !!!

Bad enought habits in themselves

RYD

ROADNOTCA 10-28-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerJim
http://www.magnumforceracing.com/fla...y_switches.asp
As a last resort you can always put in a battery cutoff. You can find cheaper units in Hemmings, but these are heavy duty and install in the cockpit instead of opening the hood every time to turn the battery on and off. I had an RV with the battery running down problem and the dealer never figured it out, but installed one of these. The only problem you have is the engine computer relearning every time you reconnect - this is a last resort only, but I've been there and know what you're going through.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
A less expensive battery kill switch.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 10-28-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROADNOTCA

NOW that is neat...

I wonder what gauge wire you need to run from the battery

AND

I like that you can remove the key. The installation should be high in the dash to make it time consuming for a (possible) not likely thief trying to bypass it. Also under the bonnet you would need to run the wires as hidden as possible as a time value (except your time of installation goes up.

I'm looking at this as theft deterent also as I live in the STOLEN CAR CAPITAL of the U.S.

RYD

ROADNOTCA 10-28-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
NOW that is neat...

I wonder what gauge wire you need to run from the battery
RYD

I'm using them on my 1985 Suburban, leaky circuits and all. I splice them into/interupt the battery ground, same thing as disabling a battery for any electrical work. I have two batteries as I want to eventually weld with 24V. Plus I have a way to disco one battery when camping so I'll always have a battery to start-up at the end of the trip. Using a switch just saves wear-n-tear on the battery terminal clamps.

cmeinck 10-28-2006 07:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly what they told me, but assured me it was not connected to anything that would cause battery drain. I confirmed this with the Hummer dealer. Again, I forget where it's wired, but it's not powered up until the truck is started. Hummer kept the truck for 3-4 days before returning at GM's request. I've had it back for a few weeks without a problem. I even got a call this week to see how things were with the truck. That never happened before.

This problem was occuring BEFORE the TVs.

cmeinck 01-03-2007 03:25 PM

Well, it happened again last night. I got into the truck and click,click,click. No start. I'm so frustrated with this truck. Calling GM, then roadside assistance yet again.

K9sH3 01-03-2007 04:08 PM

I hope mine doesn't start this. When I flew back in and got to my 3 it was dead as crap. no click no nothing!
Is there anyway to test to see if there is power running, how much and from where?
The only thing I had on was the radar detector and the two lil lights for the "offroad lights" switches.

cmeinck 01-03-2007 05:10 PM

I called GM direct and told them I didn't want the truck. The way I see it, this is the 5th time for the same problem, fourth time the dealer has had the truck for this issue (first time they suggested I call roadside for a jump). It's got barely 8000 miles, so this truck is clearly problematic. Dealership was helpful. They simply pass the info to GM who reviews the case. A quick look at my roadside assistance history would show the problem(s).

I'll keep you updated. Truck has been towed to the dealer today.

Desert Dan 01-03-2007 06:04 PM

cmeinck

I don't blame you.

A dead truck can equal a dead owner depending on where you travel. Winter or Summer.

Reliability in #1 in my book.

Hunner 01-03-2007 06:27 PM

Way back there somewhere there was talk of the BCM and it being new or programmed to a specific vehicle. I thought it was a bunch of fuses and relays. Is there some ROM in there or something to program??
I also read about someone else installing the roof lights. I also had a problem getting the BCM to engage with the plugs under it. I found out how to lock them up before installing it. When I did put it in but not fully engaged I got all kinds of weird things going on. I wonder if that could still be part of this problem. If any one of those leads into those huge connectors is pushed out of contact or pinched and shorting to another one it could cause this. It could even be a shorted relay or one that hangs. It looks like installing a temporary amp meter in line with the battery would show if there was any drain while the system is off. I guess it would have to be a sensitive digital to be accurate. I would think the dealer would know what is supposed to be the draw on the PCM when off and maybe the alarm. Then check for any additional draw. Then of course it could be aliens. Do you park under large power lines are live next to a large deposit of iron ore?? It is probably a pulled stripped wire somewhere that would be good training for GM techs to figure out on there own time back in Detroit!! Sorry you are having this problem.

f5fstop 01-03-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunner
Way back there somewhere there was talk of the BCM and it being new or programmed to a specific vehicle. I thought it was a bunch of fuses and relays. Is there some ROM in there or something to program??
I also read about someone else installing the roof lights. I also had a problem getting the BCM to engage with the plugs under it. I found out how to lock them up before installing it. When I did put it in but not fully engaged I got all kinds of weird things going on. I wonder if that could still be part of this problem. If any one of those leads into those huge connectors is pushed out of contact or pinched and shorting to another one it could cause this. It could even be a shorted relay or one that hangs. It looks like installing a temporary amp meter in line with the battery would show if there was any drain while the system is off. I guess it would have to be a sensitive digital to be accurate. I would think the dealer would know what is supposed to be the draw on the PCM when off and maybe the alarm. Then check for any additional draw. Then of course it could be aliens. Do you park under large power lines are live next to a large deposit of iron ore?? It is probably a pulled stripped wire somewhere that would be good training for GM techs to figure out on there own time back in Detroit!! Sorry you are having this problem.

Ok, I'm confused.:jump:

All BCMs are programmed specific to a vehicle, the difference with the H3 BCM and most others is, once the BCM is programmed to the specific VIN, it cannot be reprogrammed to another VIN. So, the old trick of checking out if a BCM is failed on one vehicle, by putting in a known good BCM from another vehicle, reprogramming it, has been taken away.

As for current draw. I sure hope the dealer has performed a VAT test on the battery/charging/starting system to see if there is a larger than normal drain. All vehicles have a parasitic drain, but in most cars, the parasitic drain is higher for the first twenty minutes, then the controllers go to sleep, and the parasitic drain drops off.
If after twenty minutes, there is no excessive parasitic drain, then there is usually something wrong in the starting circuit or the charging circuit, and this can be check with a vehicle start (to see if the starter circuit is drawing excessive amps), and the charing circuit (to see that the charging circuit, including the generator is supplying the correct amps to the battery).

If all these tests check out, then there is a possibility that one of the controllers is waking up prematurely and causing a large amp draw. Extremely uncommon, but it can happen.

Battery failure is one of the highest warranty items facing any auto manufacturer, but this many batteries in one vehicle in this short of time, tells me that there is definitely a battery drain somewhere in the circuitry, and it appears that the dealer cannot find it or test for it correctly. My recommendation would be another dealer. If two dealers tell you there is nothing wrong, and you aren't leaving your lights on, then the vehicle is one of those very few that have an electrical problem that cannot be fixed. I have heard of them from other engineers, never seen one personally, but I guess they are out there.

cmeinck 01-03-2007 10:45 PM

Well, my truck is ready to be picked up. Dead cell in the battery. Yes, this is battery #2 we are talking about. No rhyme or reason given for why this has happened. They suggested I drive the truck more often? The truck has been driven, was not sitting and still was DOA yesterday.

I'm picking it up tomorrow and waiting to hear back from GM.

If GM ever wants me to purchase and/or recommend one of their cars during my lifetime, they will do the right thing. Replacing batteries until it becomes my problem is not the right thing.

Desert Dan 01-03-2007 10:54 PM

cmeinck
Mine went dead once and I put in a new Optima. No further problems. I did not want to replace junk with another piece of junk. I certainly didn't want a dead battery in the middle of Death Valley or Nevada.

I will dump off the orignal battery next time I go to the dealer.

cmeinck 01-04-2007 10:12 PM

GM called to confirm my request to have them buy back the truck. They indicated they spoke to the dealer and "the battery was replaced". Clearly, they are not taking this matter seriously. At no time did the rep mention the 5 times the car has gone dead or the 4 times it has been towed to the dealer. I have a bad feeling I'm about to get hosed. She said if I'd like, I can have it escalated and receive a response by Monday. They told me 48 hours on Tuesday and now it's an additional 48 hours. I'm trying to be nice about the whole matter, but I'm getting a bit annoyed. She acted as if it were the first time it happened and it's magically gone by inserting a new battery. I explained that my old Ford Escape has never once been DOA after 60,000 miles. The H3 has been dead 5 times with only 7500 miles. I informed her to look at the roadside assistance records on the vehicle. 5 times for a dead vehicle. Hmmmmm, does that sound reliable? I explained that I had yet to contact an attorney, but would if necessary. Simply put, give me a truck that works or a refund. Clearly, there is a problem with this one.

Not to mention, I lose on this too. I've added all types of accessories -- roof racks, marker lamps, chrome hood handles, chrome handles on roof, chrome gas cap, chrome seat control bezel, chrome speaker surrounds, HUMMER letters, chrome lower grill inset, dual headrest DVD players. If they do buy it back or give me a new truck, I don't know what I'm going to do about all my extras. I love my H3, but it should have been yellow because it's a major lemon.

nychot 01-04-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeinck
GM called to confirm my request to have them buy back the truck. They indicated they spoke to the dealer and "the battery was replaced". Clearly, they are not taking this matter seriously. At no time did the rep mention the 5 times the car has gone dead or the 4 times it has been towed to the dealer. I have a bad feeling I'm about to get hosed. She said if I'd like, I can have it escalated and receive a response by Monday. They told me 48 hours on Tuesday and now it's an additional 48 hours. I'm trying to be nice about the whole matter, but I'm getting a bit annoyed. She acted as if it were the first time it happened and it's magically gone by inserting a new battery. I explained that my old Ford Escape has never once been DOA after 60,000 miles. The H3 has been dead 5 times with only 7500 miles. I informed her to look at the roadside assistance records on the vehicle. 5 times for a dead vehicle. Hmmmmm, does that sound reliable? I explained that I had yet to contact an attorney, but would if necessary. Simply put, give me a truck that works or a refund. Clearly, there is a problem with this one.

you are being way too nice with the dealer and gm. you need to escalate. threaten to go to the media if they dont take it back. that always works wonders. i had a mercedes suv. i won't go into what the problem was, but when it recurred a second time i demanded to talk to the regional service mgr. they took the car in, brought in engineers to look at it, couldnt duplicate it. i said i do not want it back. and if i'm forced to take it back i will make it public. they asked what i wanted after a year into my lease. i said all my payments, including down payment, fees etc etc. two weeks later i had a certified check from MB. they did however have me sign an agreement not to go to the media or discuss the settlement publicly. that was about 7 years ago. scream and threaten -- thats the only way to get action. i've been following this thread to see how you've been doing. not only do i sympathize, but i got an h3 early in december so i too have a vested interest. in fact for the past week, i've been down with the flu and havent driven the h3. but after reading your problem i've had my wife start is every night just to make sure it isnt dead. it's fine. it's an '07 with at. good luck!!!!!!:beerchug:

Desert Dan 01-04-2007 10:44 PM

cmeinck

And GM wonders why their sales are down?

What the cost to replace a truck compared to a dissatisfied customer who will probably never buy a GM product again and tell all his friends of the bad experience??

High Quality and Good customer service can solve the problem and possibly keep the customer and get repeat business.

GM are you listening?