Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   H3 Classifieds (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Spring hanger/shock mount skid plate (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22281)

RuggedH2 03-26-2007 07:11 PM

Re: Spring hanger/shock mount skid plate

Garner,

Sorry to go OT for a second, but

Do you always roll with the rear sway bar disconnected? If so, how do you like that around town?

SR1355 03-26-2007 09:46 PM

Thanks Hunner, Santa arrived today with a box full of metal. These things are built tough, I'll have installed tonight for a work-out in MOAB... :jump:

CrisB 03-26-2007 10:01 PM

Cool!! Be careful welding, Paul...disconnect both pos & neg battery cables & touch together to do an auto shutoff on the computers, then wait 15 minutes.

Got that tidbit from my service manager, he said there's something like 6 different computer modules to protect from frying out.

Use a ratchet strap to hold up the shock.

garnerbiker 03-27-2007 02:44 AM

I took off the rear sway bar per advice from some XJ friends. The rear gets a little bit more articulation. Around town I don't notice. That could be because I drive it like a Cadillac....slow and smooth....:dancingbanana:

I just got to get on the front plates now.

When welded on, can you still remove the spring easily?

Hunner 03-27-2007 06:35 AM

I don't believe it can ever touch. I ran Long Ranch and inspected mine and had painted that area so I could see if it did. I stretched everything including my rear bumper and they did not touch the spring. The first set they had them a little tall on the front curl. I had it shortened before the production run and now use those two longer ones for door stops.

garnerbiker 03-27-2007 01:39 PM

what about trying to take the spring out?

Hunner 03-29-2007 02:17 AM

Should be able to unbolt everything from the back up, then the front bolt and lift up, back and out. You planning on hauling a big load? Adding a 50 cal and ammo and need more spring rate? Ahhh rocket launcher that's the ticket. Then there is grinder and cut off blades and worse case break out the blue wrench.

Hunner 03-30-2007 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We looked up 06 then 07 and they are the same. He just happened to print the 07 one.

garnerbiker 03-31-2007 01:19 AM

Hunner, May I say again? YOU ROCK.

Thanks for the torque specs.

Right now I'm in Park City, UT getting in some end of the season tracks.

Hunner 03-31-2007 04:45 AM

You are most welcome,
Just doing my part, one H3 at a time. We got to stick together if nobody wants to make functional "stuff" for us we gotta do it. I did run my idea by a certified Hummer tech (man these guys are young) who agreed that blue loctite couldn't hurt, well unless you get it in your eye. I use it on everything from beat up ole H3's to motorcycles, airplanes, race cars, tractors, boat diesels and anything with nuts and bolts. I never had one of my nuts fall off! Man am I glad!!! (I really don't recommend it for personal use.) But remember torque your nuts.............

Hunner 04-19-2007 08:59 PM

I still have a few skid plates stacked up in my shop if anybody missed all the feeding frenzy on the first surge. I figured the hard wheelers would jump on them first and then it would slow down. Funny sort of info, I sold a bunch on here and HX but none on HF. Sort of a survey of who really gets dirty??

Desert Dan 04-19-2007 11:24 PM

Can I re-use my factory u-bolt nuts with proper torque and locktite?

My AMSTAR Skids didn't come with new nuts?

Hunner 04-25-2007 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess that is up to you. The brand "A" did have a disclaimer in the instructions to run out to your local dealer and buy new ubolts and nuts. It also did not protect the shock mounting bolt.
A local spring shop can make them. The one here custom makes them instead of stocking piles of different ones. They have a special machine for that.
There are several schools of thought on that. If mine fall off I will let you know. It would be my thought that if bolt stretch was so critical why did GM not put skids on there in the first place??? Knocking the shock off and bottom spring plate is a possible reality without them!
Annnd my favorite photo