Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   GAS MPG (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10040)

NM H3 04-26-2006 07:50 PM

First road trip. Put about 1200 miles on the H3. I averaged about 17 mpg at speeds between 75 and 95. Ran the a/c part of the time.

Don't get pulled over in Texas for doing 90 in a 70. That'll cost ya about $190.

HUMRCHIC 04-27-2006 12:22 AM

OK, Stupid question AGAIN!!! Please tell me how to calculate gas mileage in laymans terms...LOL
I too suck at math but I drive to Ashburn Virginia everyday from Martinsburg WV which is about 67 or so miles. I fill up ever other day at 52.00 a pop. I have 7500 miles on my 3 month old baby now... She had 13 miles on her when I picked her up...

RubHer Yellow Ducky 04-27-2006 12:47 AM

ZERO your trip meter when you FILL up with GAS.
The next time you Fill up divide the number of gallons & 10th of gallons you use into the total number of miles you have driven. Include the 10th of miles also. This will tell you your miles per gallon.

What we are looking for is if anyone else except MFW is AVERAGING (city/hwy) 20+ MPG.

WAHLAH !!!

RYD

HummerNewbie 04-27-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HUMRCHIC:
...I drive to Ashburn Virginia everyday from Martinsburg WV which is about 67 or so miles. I fill up ever other day at 52.00 a pop...

If you are truly only getting 134 miles to every tank there is definitely something wrong or your statement isn't correct. I am leaning toward the latter.

HUMRCHIC 04-27-2006 11:38 AM

I should have clarified it is 67 miles each way...Oops..Sorry.

HUMRCHIC 04-27-2006 11:43 AM

OK, So I am I suppose to drive it until it is absolutely out of gas? Or close to it. I don't wanna get stuck atop the mountain I travel over everyday!!

DarthKarl 04-27-2006 12:31 PM

If you are filling up frequently and want to do a quick gas milage check, try going to a particular gas station and pump. Fill up until the pump clicks off. Then zero out the trip meter.

The next time you need to fill up, go back to the same station/pump (it also helps to fill up at about the same time of day - with approximately the same outside temperature) and fill it up again until it clicks off. Record the amount of gas it took and then check the trip meter...do the math and you should have a fairly accurate reading on what your mpg is. Of course doing a number of milage checks and averaging them all out over time will give you a better idea of what your overall mpg is.

HummerNewbie 04-27-2006 12:54 PM

Quote:

I should have clarified it is 67 miles each way...Oops..Sorry.

I understood that, thus the 134 miles per tank.

Quote:

OK, So I am I suppose to drive it until it is absolutely out of gas? Or close to it. I don't wanna get stuck atop the mountain I travel over everyday!!

Never said that. What I said is if you are only getting 134 miles per tank there is something wrong. Based on your statement that you fill up every day at $52 a pop, you would be at least fairly close to empty. My last fill up the low fuel light was on and it cost me $54, went 240 or so miles (don't recall exact mileage) and got right at 13 MPG. Based on roughly the same cost for the fill up and your stated miles for that tank you would be getting an estimated a 7.5 MPG. Now, these are estimates because I don't actually know what the cost of gas is where you are but our prices are generally on the high side of the national average. You have to take into consideration that you are driving over a mountain but the estimated 7.5 MPG is ugly. If you know how many gallons you put in after driving the 134 miles we can calculate what your MPG is.

fourfourto 04-27-2006 01:04 PM

Man some of you are making it so complicated.

Fill it up drive, divide miles driven by amount of gas used = MPG .Average a couple tanks if you want exact MPG for a time period.
Not rocket science

Last tank I got 17 MPG mixed driving only 60-70 MPH on highway with running it 2 times for 5 minutes 4 times a week for dvd so not to stress battery(wife uses dvd during lunch time).No auto start used during last fill up.

HUMRCHIC 04-27-2006 02:03 PM

OK. Gas here is 2.99 per gallon. I filled up yesterday and it was 52.00. I went to work. 67 miles. I came home 67. miles. I now sit on a half of a tank. That is 134 miles per half tank plus roughly 2 is equally 268 per tank. That sounds sucky to me. Am I wrong?

HUMRCHIC 04-27-2006 02:04 PM

OH OH OH. I don't fill up EVERY DAY!!! It is every other day. I just noticed that in your post.

DDWH 04-27-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fourfourto:
Man some of you are making it so complicated.

Fill it up drive, Not rocket science

X2....your not driving a damn turbo diesel rabbit...Just remember that big smile you get every time you get behind the wheel!

wannabeH3 04-27-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

That sounds sucky to me. Am I wrong?

that is sucky, that is why i ride a motorcyle when its nice out.

HummerNewbie 04-27-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

OK. Gas here is 2.99 per gallon. I filled up yesterday and it was 52.00. I went to work. 67 miles. I came home 67. miles. I now sit on a half of a tank. That is 134 miles per half tank plus roughly 2 is equally 268 per tank. That sounds sucky to me. Am I wrong?

I calculate your mileage at 15.41 based on the info you provided. What I did was took the $52 you spent on gas and divide by $2.99 which gives you 17.39 gallons. I then took your two day 268 miles average and divided that by 17.39 gallon and got 15.41 MPG. Of course this is not by any means as accurate as basing it on your exact miles driven and gallons pumped but gets you close. Not bad considering that you are driving over a mountain two times a day. I live in extremely flat FL and I don't get that good.

TripWire 04-27-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzH3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TripWire:
I just picked up my Black H3 early last week. I also was curious as to actual MPG (and I suck at math) so I picked up THIS at ThinkGeek for like $130. Just hooked it up. When I fillup this afternoon and drive that tank empty, I'll post some numbers.

Let me know how you like the ScanGauge. I was looking at those. They provide a lot of useful information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it. Does provide a lot of info. Temps, pressures, fuel consumption, etc.
Little complicated to navigate though and the backlight could be brighter.
It tells me that on the last full tank I averaged 17.4 MPG. That was a long highway trip from NJ to PA and back. Terrain was mostly flat and I used cruise control a lot and was generally at 70mph.
The tank before that I averaged 14.3 MPG. That is my daily commute traffic. Real congested stop and go traffic from NJ to NY and back. Mostly flat, some hills, LOT of braking and accelerating, averaging between 15mph to 30mph.
Never found a good place to mount it permanently, so it just sits in top right corner on top of dash. Stays put, doesnt slide and wire to OBDII connector I leave coiled on side of dash. Never gets in way. Well I pretty much found out what I wanted to know. If anyone in NY/NJ area wants to borrow it and try it out, lemme know.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 04-27-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

ZERO your trip meter when you FILL up with GAS.
The next time you Fill up divide the number of gallons & 10th of gallons you use into the total number of miles you have driven. Include the 10th of miles also. This will tell you your miles per gallon.

What we are looking for is if anyone else except MFW is AVERAGING (city/hwy) 20+ MPG.

I don't know whats difficult in what I said above...

RYD

Steve - SanJose 04-27-2006 11:16 PM

Since when did calculating mpg become some difficult...?

Doing it right, I doubt if I'll see 20mpg in my life.

S.

nmikes 04-27-2006 11:48 PM

on road trips I can get over 20 miles per tank... but that is with the tires at 40psi and cruise set at 65 cruising through Kansas. I don't know if it really makes a difference but I put the high octane in as well. Bombing around town I still get around 17mpg... but I never do any hard accelerating, braking, or powering through traffic. If you are getting single digit fuel economy something sounds wrong. I had a borla exhaust put on my F-150 and my fuel economy went to the ****ter... dealer said it was because the larger exhaust didn't provide enough back pressure for a clean burn. Don't know how true that is but I think hills and start and go traffic will put your fuel economy into the toilet with the gear ratios what they are. But there are people more informed on such things than I, I'm just hypostulating.

Beastmaster 04-28-2006 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky:

You'll never get that.

Unless you drive nothing but Highway at a continuous, 100 percent duty cycle of the truck (meaning, you fill the truck while you're driving down the road) AND at a constant speed that is never unwavering AND you are in an ideal road condition of perfectly flat with no additional wind drag, you will never achieve anywhere close to 20mpg.

Being realistic, if you achieve about 17-18mpg mixed mode (city/hwy), you're doing really, really great. The vehicle is only rated for 20MPG highway anyways, 16MPG city.

You will likely achieve the best gas mileage when you run it (probably) around 3500/4000 rpm. That's above the RPM for max torque, and it's approaching the highest point of the horsepower curve, which is at 5600 rpm. Somewhere in between 2800 rpm (max torque) and 5600 rpm (max horsepower) will be your magic number (in RPM) that will give you the most efficiency.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 04-28-2006 09:34 AM

H3HUMVEE
Hummer Veteran

Posted 04-20-06 07:02 PM
I'm consistently getting 20+ MPG out of my H3... Best tank that I have checked was 21.6 and the worst was around 17 during "break in". this is with mixed driving and speeds under 65 MPH.

__ ___________
H /___________\
3 [O][][][][][][O]

I still see no one else doing/getting this type of milage, but we will keep looking...

RYD