Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Steering Wheel column rattle/thumping? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27898)

1Coyote 06-24-2007 12:57 AM

Steering Wheel column rattle/thumping?

I have 1200 miles on my H3. Suddenly I'm getting a rattle/thumping from the steering column. I've done a search on this and found a few who mentioned the same problem with their dealers not figuring out the issue, but have seen no follow-up or solution. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

1Coyote

H3telcobilly 06-25-2007 04:20 AM

Re: Steering Wheel column rattle/thumping?

This seems like a widespread GM problem, my '07 H3 and wife's '04 Suburban do it. Her vehicle does it all of the time, mine does it infrequently. I will pursue warranty remedies soon, but I hear GM does not have enough steering shafts to keep up with the claims...

Read this:
http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_3646/tm.htm

1Coyote 06-25-2007 03:47 PM

I also can feel and hear the "thumping"? in the brake pedal. You mentioned the steering shaft...has this been detemined to be the problem?

1Coyote

FISH5337 06-25-2007 04:00 PM

I am having the same problem. I had the same problem on my '03 Duramax.
the dealership is telling me there is a bushing where the steering shafts go together, and there is grease filled into that area. the grease works its self out then you get the noise. I've found I have the noise when I hit bumps, braking, and when I take off from a stop. The dealership also told me that GM is redisgning the steering shaft thats why we are not able to get them. The dealer said no safety concerns just annonying noise.

stagger_lee 06-25-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Coyote
I have 1200 miles on my H3. Suddenly I'm getting a rattle/thumping from the steering column. I've done a search on this and found a few who mentioned the same problem with their dealers not figuring out the issue, but have seen no follow-up or solution. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

1Coyote

Sounds like similar problem as mine
Solution:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27781

1Coyote 06-25-2007 07:51 PM

It does not happen when turning hard...is not constant and seems to happen after a bit of driving. Can hear a thumping noise can feel it in the steering column and the brake pedal...still sound the same?

1Coyote

Stevenblanca 06-25-2007 10:13 PM

Had the same problem. Mine had a steering shaft problem:

To diagnose:

- Center steering wheel and wheels.
- Turn the motor off so you won't have steering assist.
- Have someone (wife or next door chick) to wiggle the steering wheel left and right. just very short movements.
- you should hear a clunk with every wiggle.
- Get under the car and locate the clunk it should be on the steering shaft on one of the 2 cross joints. Mine clunked at the lower joint. If you grab the shaft just before one of the joints with a bit of pulling force and it stops clunking you have located the joint that caused the clunk.

Exito !

fourfourto 06-25-2007 11:47 PM

Have someone (wife or next door chick) to wiggle the steering wheel left and right. just very short movements.

Gotta post pic or video of that so we can see them wiggle :dancingbanana: :jump: :dancingbanana:

Steve - SanJose 06-26-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfourto
Have someone (wife or next door chick) to wiggle the steering wheel left and right. just very short movements.

Gotta post pic or video of that so we can see them wiggle :dancingbanana: :jump: :dancingbanana:

Then what?:popcorn:

stagger_lee 06-26-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Coyote
It does not happen when turning hard...is not constant and seems to happen after a bit of driving. Can hear a thumping noise can feel it in the steering column and the brake pedal...still sound the same?

1Coyote

nope. Good luck with that. Keep us posted. :beerchug:

fourfourto 06-26-2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Then what?:popcorn:

Then we admire the boobies wiggling :eek: :rolleyes: :shhh:

Steve - SanJose 06-26-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfourto
Then we admire the boobies wiggling :eek: :rolleyes: :shhh:

That's a given.:) But what do we do (if anything) to get it fixed while in warranty?

FISH5337 06-26-2007 02:28 PM

Hummer is going to cover mine under warranty. They no they have a problem. Just minutes ago got off phone with dealership. They said that engineering is still working on the problem and it would be a couple of weeks til new parts are ready.

ChiHummer3 06-26-2007 02:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like my sterring column is making the same noises too. I noticed popping sensation from the brake pedal a few weeks ago - but stopped paying attention to that when I noticed the popping from the steering column when going over fairloy small bumps on the road.

Guess it's another trip to the dealership again. :(

1Coyote 06-26-2007 05:27 PM

Can you tell me who your dealership is and where they are located? I would like to be able to refer them to my dealership...so rare that a dealership actually knows what is going on.

1Coyote

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH5337
Hummer is going to cover mine under warranty. They no they have a problem. Just minutes ago got off phone with dealership. They said that engineering is still working on the problem and it would be a couple of weeks til new parts are ready.

Stevenblanca 06-26-2007 05:33 PM

The idea is to fix the truck. Not j** off. You perverts

:jump:

Steve - SanJose 06-26-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH5337

Interesting. My H3 has creaking with occassional slight popping noise at slow speeds.

FISH5337 - Please keep us informed with the progress/fix on your rig.

HumbleAg 06-27-2007 12:03 AM

Add me to the list with this issue. The 2007 has 3900 miles and has doing this since I got it. Haven't taken it back yet, but sounds like waiting until there is a true fix would be best anyway.

Never had this issue with the 2006.

Not really a big deal, but noises that shouldn't be there do annoy me.

:(

joedirt 06-29-2007 12:51 AM

Finally, I'm able to rest. Took mine to a different dealer and diagnosed the problem instantly. The last dealer tried to give me the run around, saying that I have no problem, and that it is just the H3. I told them to kiss my ass, that it is a problem with the steering and pedals. So, I took it to a dealer closer to me in the Houston area and he hooked me up within 15 minutes. The steering problem is due to the steering shaft design. The steering shaft must be made to compress upon impact on front end collisions. There is just enough slack between the two peices to raddle the column, gas and brake. The problem would arise suddonly and abruptly, usually on hot days. GM is reengineering the design, but has not released the part. The dealer put me on the list. The dealer did say that he has seen many of these steering problems on the H3 even on the lot...too common.

Problem 2 was the "clunk clunk" I have been hearing when driving in and around town. The last dealer replaced the transfer case , but that did not fix the problem. The new dealer said that it is a transfer case bearing or gear causing the noise. They will be getting a new one for me in the next couple days. He said GM wants them to install a brand new transfer case for these issues and to ship the old cases back for design changes.

tomp 06-29-2007 01:24 AM

both my H3 & H2 do it.

My 2001 2500HD also did it...