Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transfer Case Needs Replacing (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926)

drmiles 08-04-2004 11:15 AM

Well about a month ago my H2 started making a clunking noise when shifting from lo to high. Then one time it hung in between lo and high out in the woods. I was able to rock the truck (pure muscle) and the transfer case went back into gear. This time the transfer hung in my driveway and had to be towed in. When it got to the dealer it had slipped back in gear. First they told me it was a motor that had gone bad and they ordered the motor. Yesterday when I called, the service writer said he wasn't sure what the Tech was telling him, except they were going to have to replace the transfer case!!!!

Of course he hinted that the lift kit could void the warranty. I think they use that excuse anytime they want to get out of paying for something. Not sure of anything else yet, I will go by there today and get more details.. besides having the lift kit I rarely go off road, maybe 6 time in 12 months.

Jerry

Well about a month ago my H2 started making a clunking noise when shifting from lo to high. Then one time it hung in between lo and high out in the woods. I was able to rock the truck (pure muscle) and the transfer case went back into gear. This time the transfer hung in my driveway and had to be towed in. When it got to the dealer it had slipped back in gear. First they told me it was a motor that had gone bad and they ordered the motor. Yesterday when I called, the service writer said he wasn't sure what the Tech was telling him, except they were going to have to replace the transfer case!!!!

Of course he hinted that the lift kit could void the warranty. I think they use that excuse anytime they want to get out of paying for something. Not sure of anything else yet, I will go by there today and get more details.. besides having the lift kit I rarely go off road, maybe 6 time in 12 months.

Jerry

Jerry

1BADH2 08-04-2004 02:58 PM

Every dealership hides behind that I tink its bull****!

drmiles 08-05-2004 05:08 PM

Day 4, at dealership. Today their tring to get it in the transmission shop (must be different from where they do all the minor repair. Dealer called his tech has spent 2 hours trying to figure how to get it on the lift.. apparently the skyjacker trailer arms come out to far..
I told him to unbolt the arm, so they are going to try that.

I have a good relationship with this dealership, I'm hoping they cover everything that is defective. I have a good feeling about them, but I will let you know how it unfolds.

Jerry

drmiles 08-08-2004 10:45 PM

Talked to the service manager. He is going out of town for a week and no one else can order parts. They are going to pull transmission and transfer case monday, determine what needs repairing then wait until he returns in one week. That means at least 2 more weeks without my truck.

HUMMERDOGG 08-10-2004 03:04 AM

What dealership in Houston are you using? Demontrond???

drmiles 08-11-2004 11:09 AM

I do not want to get anyone in trouble, or get banned from a dealership due to post on the internet. So PM me and I will tell you which dealership

drmiles@footanklecenter.net

Dan 08-11-2004 11:47 AM

WTF, can't they get the S.M. a backup? Business 101 - The place shouldn't shut down when one person goes on vacation.

drmiles 08-13-2004 08:39 PM

Transfer Case Update; End of week 2 (begining week 3)

Today they told me that an H1 had been on the transmission lift all week and was due to be completed today. They only have one lift for the Hummers and my turn is next.. Hope this transmission thing is not an epidemic or there will be a lot of waiting.
Well maybe next week, I'll get my Hummer back.

drmiles 08-18-2004 11:53 AM

Update;

Well the service manager is back the lift is open and my transfer case is apart. Main shaft twisted in half.
Solution: New transfer case under warranty.

Nice to have a good dealership to work with. I can't complain got to drive 2004, and getting my truck back detailed I hope.

Jerry

KenP 08-18-2004 12:55 PM

None-the-less, the wait and the reason for it was horrible.

drmiles 08-18-2004 06:46 PM

Update on Update;

Called dealer transfer case installed. AIR BAGS BLEW? Must order new air bags, the wait continues. SW (Service writer) Could not explain what happen said he didn't want to ask the service manager he looked very upset.

Dan 08-18-2004 08:16 PM

You have more patience than I do.

alecs wife 08-18-2004 08:57 PM

I heard that when an H2 with air bags is on a lift, the driver's side door needs to be left open. This will keep the air bags from trying to fill. Not sure if this is true but might be worth checking out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drmiles:
Update on Update;

Called dealer transfer case installed. AIR BAGS BLEW? Must order new air bags, the wait continues. SW (Service writer) Could not explain what happen said he didn't want to ask the service manager he looked very upset. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DRTYFN 08-18-2004 11:23 PM

Actually, any door open will keep the rig from trying to level itself.

KenP 08-19-2004 02:09 AM

That's rather odd. I know the air bag issue has been discussed here before but I have yet to have a problem. If the truck is OFF and the key is OFF then the air suspension would be OFF also, correct? Or are some of you saying that the air suspension will come on while the vehicle is NOT running? Seems strange.

My truck has been lifted many times and only the first time did a question arise. The dealership told them to turn the truck off before lifting. No problems.

I would think that a dealership/tech would know about the air suspension. Very odd, very odd.

HummMe 08-19-2004 09:58 AM

Actually air bags will stay on after the truck is off to keep it level(if there is a slow leak). And the issue on a lift is that while the truck is raised the height sensor sees the truck being at max height so it releases the air from the bags trying to lower the ride height. So when you let the truck all the way down off the lift, with no air in the bags, there is always the possibility of damaging the air bags.

Dan 08-19-2004 10:05 AM

I've seen big rigs with air bags on a lift. They loop a chain around the axle & frame on both sides to hold the axle up.

I always thought the issue was that you don't want the weight of the rear suspension pulling down on the air bags.