Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Is it worth 30 to go from an 03 to an 08 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40928)

FASTORANGE 02-25-2011 04:59 AM

Is it worth 30 to go from an 03 to an 08

OK guys I have a dilemma.
I have an 03 Sunset Orange, 20" black Moto Metals (dont remember the model) 35" blah blah blah. It has 119K, I recently replaced the rotors and pads, new radiator, new converter and some minor trans work. Exterior is 8 of 10, interior is 6 of 10. Drivetrain is 7 of 10. Still drives good, rides nice etc. I use this truck, drive it anywhere, tow my race car with it and treat it like a truck. I don't abuse it but its got some wear. I'm debating if its worth it to sell her and put 30K with the sale price and get an 08. I'm a die hard LS GM engine based guy so I know all about the LS3 / 6.2 and 6L80E setup and how much nicer the interior is but I'm still on the fence.
Give me some advise, Money isn't an issue, but no need to throw it away either.........

I hope someone has been where I am and had the same thought process. I wish GMC would build that damn prototype diesel crew HD with the big factory wheel well flares..................

ssgharkness020147 02-25-2011 06:59 AM

Re: Is it worth 30 to go from an 03 to an 08

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTORANGE
I wish GMC would build that damn prototype diesel crew HD with the big factory wheel well flares..................

Why not just buy one and add a Cognito kit? The new LML really ****ing rips.

kalantar 02-25-2011 07:15 AM

My dream ride is a H2 (doesnt matter the year) with 40's and a diesel engine that gets 20 mpg....

charles06 02-25-2011 07:31 AM

FWIW, the service manager and technicians at my old Hummer dealer all said they liked the older H2's better. They thought that the newer transmissions were kinda "shift-happy". What about finding a 2006, or thereabouts?

Camou2 02-25-2011 12:59 PM

Definately worth considering but you should be able to make the transaction for somewhere between $22 and $25. Move tires from the '03 to the '08.

MVR 155 02-25-2011 02:52 PM

We went from a 2006 to a 2008 and love everything about the newer truck.

Stellar 02-25-2011 07:08 PM

Not worth it at all IMO. Not a fan of the new interior at all and the hp shouldn't factor in for that hp increase can easily be acheived. :beerchug:

slippy 02-26-2011 01:46 AM

to me it really comes down to the interior and the engine/tranny.i have a 2005 suv and my dad has a 2008 sut. i can tell you i think hes truck is the better truck. more hp, tranny shifts smoother IMO and the interior is ALOT better quality.

even tho the newer h2's i think are a better product i personally wouldnt switch. i think the older interior will be considerd more "classic" as time goes on. and the engine can always be modified/tuned to however you like it.

to me the only thing the 08 really blows an older model out of the water is the seats. the seats dont look like wrinkled garbage after 80k.

FASTORANGE 02-26-2011 02:54 AM

Thanks for the replies guys (gals). I'm going to research that "COGNITO" KIT for the 2500HD and also put my 03 H2 for sale and see what happens.
Seems like those that have had a pre 08 like the 08/09 better. As I stated before I know the new drivetrain very very well and it is far superior just stuck on the $$$$ difference for a truck that looks the same (Basically) on the outside. I want an H2 to keep for a long long time 10yr+ so I think I'll look at the upgrade.

I'll post an AD in the for sale section later tonight and see what happens...
Basics mentioned above and Ill start asking 16K ?

Ignore the ohio plate, on the front I live in Florida. These are the only pics I have so I guess Ill take more tomorrow.

The race car was sold earlier today. Building a 1950 GMC truck to replace the camaro.....

charles06 02-26-2011 03:14 AM

Where do you live in FL? I'm in Windermere (Orlando).

guruerror 02-26-2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippy
to me it really comes down to the interior and the engine/tranny.i have a 2005 suv and my dad has a 2008 sut. i can tell you i think hes truck is the better truck. more hp, tranny shifts smoother IMO and the interior is ALOT better quality.

even tho the newer h2's i think are a better product i personally wouldnt switch. i think the older interior will be considerd more "classic" as time goes on. and the engine can always be modified/tuned to however you like it.

to me the only thing the 08 really blows an older model out of the water is the seats. the seats dont look like wrinkled garbage after 80k.

The newer interior makes it more of a 'city truck'...might as well buy a Ranger-Ro.

I like the original interior, more 'butch'...of course, I sprayed mine with bed liner to 'rugged' it up...the old plastic is pretty cheap. After the bed liner and Line-X I thing it's perfect...

FASTORANGE 02-26-2011 06:23 AM

Charles,
I'm in Apopka.

charles06 02-27-2011 03:47 PM

Cool. We should meet up sometime. I've only met one other Hummer guy from a forum. He goes by big2dabank on *******Club and Clubhummeroffroad. Very nice gentleman.

HumminNBoatin' 03-01-2011 04:27 PM

The 08 is a much better truck. It drives WAY better as it actually really moves.
0-60 is like 7.5 seconds. That is pretty darn fast for such a big rig. they tow much better. They get better mpgs... well like 1-2mpg better anyway.

They Tow WAYYYYY better.... The interior does rattle like hell. You actually feel like you are in a quality vehicle.

Offroad they are even better than the old ones as well. The transfer case is geared even lower old one was like 33:1 the new one is like 40:1.

I have been looking at buying an 08. But I really just want to move onto the H1...... decisions decisions....

lasvegash2 03-02-2011 05:58 AM

i went from a 06 suv to a 08 sut. i am really glad i made the choice. the only thing i really miss is the dash layout of the 06, it really goes well with the exterior of the h2.

FASTORANGE 03-05-2011 07:06 AM

CHARLES06 - Sounds like a plan, I'll send you my number and email address.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. I travel a lot for business so I'm going to inspect a few 08's over the next few weeks and see what I can find. I looked at an 08 in Vegas earlier this week, and plan to look at another one in West Palm Beach next week. Prices seem to be all over the place for lower milage ( 30K - 40K ) trucks so I need to see a few and determine if some are abused or if the dealers are just smokin a little too much weed....

I looked at a few Duramax trucks and I just don't think id be happy in a truck and everyone on the road seems to have a diesel truck.

Thanks again to all that replied. If anyone needs a cheap 03 let me know.

DRTYFN 03-05-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles06
Cool. We should meet up sometime. I've only met one other Hummer guy from a forum. He goes by big2dabank on *******Club and Clubhummeroffroad. Very nice gentleman.

If you're on CHO please tell 3Hummer that I thank him for letting me live rent-free in his head. :giggling: :jump:

HUMTECH 03-05-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
The 08 is a much better truck. It drives WAY better as it actually really moves.
0-60 is like 7.5 seconds. That is pretty darn fast for such a big rig. they tow much better. They get better mpgs... well like 1-2mpg better anyway.

They Tow WAYYYYY better.... The interior does rattle like hell. You actually feel like you are in a quality vehicle.

Offroad they are even better than the old ones as well. The transfer case is geared even lower old one was like 33:1 the new one is like 40:1.

I have been looking at buying an 08. But I really just want to move onto the H1...... decisions decisions....

Actually they all have a borg warner 4484 with a 2.64:1 low range ratio

mikejr 03-07-2011 03:16 AM

I had an 06 and then traded up to an 08 and then up to an 09. I really think the 08/09 are much nicer on the interior. The tranny does take a bit of getting used to as it seems like it shifts constantly but thats what a 6 speed does. Power in the engine is much better etc. I dont have any rattles unless the outside temp gets down around 10 degrees and then things start to rattle a bit. It does run like a scared rabbit. Didnt care for the Goodyear SRA's, they really didnt go well in the snow. So I put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on and they are great. Actually quieter than the SRAs.

FASTORANGE 04-04-2011 01:56 AM

Well everything worked out and I am very happy. I sold my SOM 03 H2 at a fair price and found an 08 Solar Flare H2 at a great price. My 03 had 120K and was starting to show its age so I sold it for 15K, And I found an 08 with 34,000 miles and the perfect option package for 35K. The 08 doesn't look like it ever left pavement. No scratches underneath, no signs of rust anywhere and the interior still smells new with only one blemish on the headliner. Orange/Black, NO SUNROOF, backup up camera, rear tire cover and basics. Just a base model with a few options. So glad I did this and it was 10K less than what I thought I was going to have to spend.
Ordering some BMF Death Metal Novakanes and terra grapplers tomorrow and meeting with a dent removal guy to remove 3 door dings.