Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Electric amp hideaway steps, yay or nay? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43311)

kalantar 02-04-2013 10:57 PM

Electric amp hideaway steps, yay or nay?

I'm debating to get these steps, not too sure if I like the looks of them. I have a black h2 with 37's and the chrome steps as of now.

So yay or nay?
Are current owners happy with them?

fyr145 02-05-2013 12:34 AM

Re: Electric amp hideaway steps, yay or nay?

I recently upgraded to the Amp steps and I must say they are really nice and well worth the money.

SOBEH2 02-05-2013 03:10 AM

Hello to All.

First post as you can see...I have been following for the last year. Trying to read all the way back to the beginning.....so much information and interesting topics.

Bought am '08 Solar Flare with 35k miles. No issues. Best vehicle I have ever owned!

Thinking about the steps myself. Any step clearance issues while off road to be aware of? (I know they tuck up and under.) Currently stock, but actively looking for new 18" black wheels with 35" Toyo Open Country M/T----from what I have read, there should be no rubbing issues with this wheel/tire size combination. No lift until I can make garage door opening taller.

2nd question....any damage issues to be aware of concerning steps, themselves or the motors? Traveling to/from WV. Roads to property not the best and never plowed.

thank you.

thank you

NJ H2 02-05-2013 07:50 AM

If you go off road then, unless you plan to remove them each time, I would stay away. I have personally seen the carnage of AMPs after 1 time wheeling and was not a pretty sight. They were all bent up and not closing all the way. IMO too expensive a mod to take chances with.

ZombieHunter 02-06-2013 09:11 PM

AMP builds a nice product, ordered and installed mine back in September. Takes about 4 hours for the complete install, pretty much straight forward. The steps fold up nicely, giving a clean look. I'll post some pics tonite when I get home if its not too late. I'm running 38" Toyo's with a Rancho lift and the steps drop just the right amount to give yourself easy access getting in and out of the rig. They then fold up tightly underneath to give that "taller apprearance" of your rig.
True though, if your going to get into some rough offroad situations I would highly recommend taking them off. A quick connect makes the electrical disconnect easy. The mounting brackets would take an additional 30 minutes to dismount. My opinion, well worth the $1100 I spent.

guruerror 02-06-2013 10:23 PM

I'd say 'nay'...put $1000 of that $1100 back in your pocket and just push your rock sliders out with the 'Rock Slider Mod'... http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=37323

...then if you're lucky enough to score some LE rocker trim you'll end up with this...nice clean look, practically indestructible side step:

tyler1bo 02-07-2013 12:12 AM

AMPs were great for me..you won't be disappointed. One of the best mods on my truck.

PaHumBug 02-07-2013 05:09 PM

Or just put LE steps on. I have a 6 inch lift and it's not TOO hard to get into (though the wife complains if she's wearing a dress...). I didn't even put LE molding on and I think it looks and works fine.

LoJac963 02-08-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaHumBug
Or just put LE steps on. I have a 6 inch lift and it's not TOO hard to get into (though the wife complains if she's wearing a dress...). I didn't even put LE molding on and I think it looks and works fine.

Either LE's or U-steps. I have U's on mine and absolutely love them hands down. I would never spend over $1k on some steps for my truck personally....complete waste of money.