Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H1 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Freeway Trip (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23579)

Winneconne 01-05-2007 07:16 PM

Freeway Trip

Guys, I am considering taking my 03 H1 to Colorado next year, and would like your input on long freeway use. Usually I run 80 MPH when I drive there and don't know if this would effect my truck. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,:fdance:

Arizona Hummerboy 01-05-2007 07:31 PM

Re: Freeway Trip

Make sure you have a tail wind, you will get better mileage!!!!!:jump:

ssgharkness020147 01-05-2007 08:53 PM

80 is too fast for that distance. Its bad for the geared hubs, bad for the engine (the sustained RPM's are too high), and the T-case fluid is going to burn. FWIW the only time I go 80 in my truck is when I'm trying to catch up to a hot girls car. :D

BlueHUMMERH2 01-05-2007 10:39 PM

From what I've heard, probably not a very good idea.

SnakeH2 01-05-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
From what I've heard, probably not a very good idea.

What? Catching up to a carload of hot girls?:giggling:

evomind2 01-05-2007 11:11 PM

what can u run these trucks at over a few hours? or all day?

timgco 01-05-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
80 is too fast for that distance. Its bad for the geared hubs, bad for the engine (the sustained RPM's are too high), and the T-case fluid is going to burn. FWIW the only time I go 80 in my truck is when I'm trying to catch up to a hot girls car. :D

I was wondering on that. In my two weeks of H1 ownership I asked the dealer about driving speeds and the geared hubs (2004 btw) and they said not to worry about. The truck will oeverheat before you do anything to the hubs. I did hold it at 70 most of the way though. I only had to fill the front tires with air every other time I filled up with fuel. Damn CTIS! :p

Serious Q: Aren't the geared hubs differnt from older models to 03, than to 04, than to Alpha? Do they all have the high speed issue and buring up the fluid and or hubs? If you driving these on a daily basis, how often should tha fluid be changed out?

RonB 01-06-2007 12:06 AM

I think all the geared hubs are the same except the Alpha has the helical cut gears to quiet them a bit. As far as frwy cruising, the max sustained rpm for the 6.5 td is 2350 rpm if I remember correctly. I wouldn't put too much faith in the dealers' info...the last thing they know about, or care to know about is the h1. These trucks were never meant to go as fast as some take them. I sometimes hit 75, but only for a very short time -- I usually cruise at 65, which on my truck is about 2400 rpm.

rb

mstams 01-06-2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonB
I think all the geared hubs are the same except the Alpha has the helical cut gears to quiet them a bit.

That's what I thought as well. However, my tech manager at Lou Sobh in Atlanta (who's been working on quite a few of these trucks for quite a while) mentioned to me that the helical design actually came out earlier on some trucks (2004?). I'm not sure about that, but it's what he said...

mstams 01-06-2007 01:46 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't put too much faith in the dealers' info...the last thing they know about, or care to know about is the h1.

I think Tim's dealer in this case was Lynch Hummer...

RonB 01-06-2007 01:50 AM

woops -- Lynch is about the only one I'd trust. Wish I got my truck from them!

And about the newer hubs in '04's -- who knows, but interesting to find out. Are the newer hubs 12k halfshafts/trucks only?

rb

mstams 01-06-2007 02:00 AM

Quote:

Are the newer hubs 12k halfshafts/trucks only?

I didn't think to ask, but I would imagine so.

RonB 01-06-2007 02:09 AM

if so maybe they were put into some late '04 fleet trucks?

mstams 01-06-2007 02:12 AM

Quote:

if so maybe they were put into some late '04 fleet trucks?

That could be. I really thought they were new for the Alpha, but he swears the design was earlier -- and he's been right on for everything else...

hmcoleap 01-08-2007 03:26 PM

The T-case fluid will definitely cook at those speeds for long periods of time; if you must drive at those speeds, you will want to stop every few hours to let the truck cool off. An external cooler for the t-case could help that situation.

Slow and steady might be a better idea... 65 with fewer stops would be better for the truck and get you there in close to the same time - better fuel economy, too! (Yes, I said fuel economy while talking about a Hummer!)

I would be less concerned about the geared hubs, myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winneconne
Guys, I am considering taking my 03 H1 to Colorado next year, and would like your input on long freeway use. Usually I run 80 MPH when I drive there and don't know if this would effect my truck. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,:fdance:

evomind2 01-08-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmcoleap
The T-case fluid will definitely cook at those speeds for long periods of time; if you must drive at those speeds, you will want to stop every few hours to let the truck cool off. An external cooler for the t-case could help that situation.

Slow and steady might be a better idea... 65 with fewer stops would be better for the truck and get you there in close to the same time - better fuel economy, too! (Yes, I said fuel economy while talking about a Hummer!)

I would be less concerned about the geared hubs, myself.

what does hummer spec the t case fluid at?
is it synthetic, etc? if its not maybe using a synthetic would help.
why does the tcase fluid cook in a hummer at those speeds, but not anything else?

maybe we can "back door" a higher safe highway speed.
more efficient intercooler? better intercooling and turbo piping? as stated previously, a tcase cooler?

depending on how important it is to run say 75mph rather than 65mph, there may be more than 1 way to skin the cat.

usetosellhummer 01-08-2007 10:16 PM

65 is good and have a back-up plan just in case. i can't remeber how many tow in's we had from H1ers taking long road trips and boom, breakdown. make double sure you have a hummer H1 tech go through your truck if you don't work on your own rig. Part two of that is start learning how to ...
tighten a fan belt
remove water from the collector
and if your a off-roader
change a half shaft
thermostate replace
wheel speed sensor replacement

Winneconne 01-09-2007 05:50 PM

Thanks Everyone. I really appreciate all your input. I think I will take another vehicle. I only wanted to PISS ON all those Land Rovers out there. :violin:

Anti-BlInG 01-09-2007 06:56 PM

You bought a hummer to travel at 80mph...to piss on a land rover? ughhhh

BlueHUMMERH2 01-10-2007 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeH2
What? Catching up to a carload of hot girls?:giggling:

I dunno, by the time you accelerate to catch them (supposing they're in a hot car like an SLR or 3 series) you'll be moving like a stampede, and have about the same stopping power... You'd probably overshoot them by a block... :giggling:

No wonder you've got so many little problems right now Carey. You have to stop flooring it to catch up to those chicks! :D