Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Cloth V.S. Leather (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25041)

joek86 02-24-2007 01:46 AM

Cloth V.S. Leather

What do most of you have and/or suggest for comfort and durability based on the quality of the materials offered?

3Hummer 02-24-2007 02:03 AM

Re: Cloth V.S. Leather

I have the Cloth, and i absolutly love it ( i have it cuase with the leather it made my car 38,000 which was out of my budget), however leather is defintly more comfortable, also if it gets wet it wont really ruin even though Hummers cloth is also water durable. Also one thing you really have to take into concederation though is if your shorter than average, or like sitting up high, in the cloth you CAN NOT move the seats up and down, only foward and back and the back part foward in back, and lumbar. In the leather you get powered seats and they move up, down, and all the other functions. But im happy with my cloth either way i dont think youll go wrong.

Sewie 02-24-2007 02:10 AM

I have the cloth seats and I'm happy with them. They've held up pretty well so far and are easy enough to clean. The leather seats are definitely more comfortable though, plus you get the power/adjustable seats. For me, it just wasn't worth the extra cost.

Steve - SanJose 02-24-2007 02:21 AM

Leather is my preference, and my H3 sees mostly city-slicker duty. 31K+ miles and leather seats are holding up fine. Seat heaters are nice too. Just my 2cents.

Hummer Guy 02-24-2007 04:07 AM

for durability, cloth hands down..the cloth in the H3 is different from any other car i've seen lately -- it can take whatever you throw at it and still look great...you can do a search and find some issues people are having with leather (color, stiching coming undone) granted some of that is warranty...the downside is non-power seats, comfort, etc as mentioned above...

3Hummer 02-24-2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
for durability, cloth hands down..the cloth in the H3 is different from any other car i've seen lately -- it can take whatever you throw at it and still look great...you can do a search and find some issues people are having with leather (color, stiching coming undone) granted some of that is warranty...the downside is non-power seats, comfort, etc as mentioned above...

i defintly agree witht he durabilty part, its not like any other cloth whatsoever in any car ive ever been in, i recommend going to see and sit in the cloth you will think a lot differently then you do now, unles you already have that is. Also to tell you the truth about comfort, my parents have had BMW's and Mercedes and i must say that my cloth seats in the Hummer are more comfortable then the leather seats they have had, i dont know its just someting about them. Also as my dad thinks the cloth just suits the whole appearance of the hummer more, like more offroady.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 02-24-2007 05:21 AM

the leather is superb. its as good as the leather in my bentley, and the power adjust makes it even better...

Hummer Guy 02-24-2007 05:22 AM

I dunno about cloth being more 'offroady' -- leather is easier to clean when it comes to mud...not as much seepage..:)

whaaaaT 02-24-2007 05:57 AM

yea since when is cloth more durable. And water doesnt ruin leather. Dont hate on us because you dont have it. Leather is supose to be more durable than cloth. Theres been a few people who have the white leather complaining about colors rubbing off on thier seats and such. But duh its white. Leather is easy to clean water doesnt seem to do a thing to it. Along with soda, beer, ice cream, pizza, mud, gum, dog ****, cofee, chocolate, and im sure i've hit it with others. The heated seats are nice. But i've noticed it takes a while for them to heat up. And i swear if your not driving around they dont heat up. They could also be hotter. I only use high cause low is like the same amount of heat my a$$ generates normally from sitting on it. Wish the back of the seats werent plastic. They should be leather too. Makes the truck look cheap. If they were leather and had a nice leather pocket. Much nicer.

whaaaaT 02-24-2007 06:02 AM

also i had a loaner h3 when my car was in the shop and the cloth seats were destroyed in my opinion. The black was fading and turning a lighter black greyish kinda color in spots. Truck was pretty baddly beaten though.

hispeed6 02-24-2007 06:20 AM

I'm an airplane mechanic by training, even though I don't do that anymore. But a long long time ago I worked for an airline, okay it was maybe 10 years ago. We had our choice of seating materials for the cabins of our regional jets. Guess what won out for durability and cost over time. Leather. Yup, it was cheaper to make seat covers out of leather rather than cloth (any cloth) because it cost less over time. Initial investment was of course higher, but leather could go 10 years or better in a regional airline environment vs. having to make the same seat covers 3 or 4 times out of cloth.

Then throw in the adjustability of the leather power adjustable seats and it is no contest. Sorry guys, I initially meant to go with cloth seats for the cost. UNTIL I test drove a demo in leather. Haven't looked back since...

3Hummer 02-24-2007 06:31 AM

i never ment it was more durable than leather. Leather its obviosuly better i ment its more durable than most other cars cloths.

usetosellhummer 02-24-2007 03:22 PM

I have leather in the car but in the hummer I like the quality of the cloth seats. unlike most GM cloth of years past that would grab your butt. The H3 is easy to clean get in and out and is more comfortable in my opnion. i also liked the cloth H2 seats but they went away after that first year i belive.

FutureBeachBum 02-24-2007 04:13 PM

I've got the cloth on my Shadow Green. I get a lot of compliments on the contrasting green/black cloth panels on the interior.
Cloth is definitely cooler is summer and warmer in winter than leather.
I've got leather in my Infiniti, thank God for seat warmers!

Slammed Vette 02-24-2007 04:43 PM

I love the cloth ,but hate that you can't get power in the cloth!!!!! I'm 6'7" and the adjustability would make it so much more comfortable!!!!! My next one will have leather just for that reason

whaaaaT 02-24-2007 05:49 PM

yea just get whatever floats your boat man.

frenzy1 02-24-2007 06:12 PM

i like my leather. Looks great !

hummerabia 02-25-2007 12:11 AM

Cashmere leather in my Shadow Green Adv spec is a nice combination minus the dirty finger marks last time it went in for side curtain airbag replacement:mad: . (second time!!!!!)Can't these grease monkeys learn to wash their hands before dealing with interior components????
Only thing as on a previous thread, the Cashmere leather is prone to getting dirty from dye rub off and so on, depends on the age of your jeans and how many washes they have been through I guess.

Lex_Ordo 02-25-2007 01:57 PM

My wife has had leather in her cars for as long as I've known her. I never cared for it personally.
In the cold weather it's cold, unless you have seat heaters, and in the summer heat, it's hot.
I've always preferred the cloth seats.

The H3's cloth seats have suited me well, and they've worn okay. I do plan however to replace the seat coverings on both front seats in a few years to freshen up the look though.

lance-n 03-05-2007 04:29 AM

i had ordered mine with cloth seats and when it finally arrived i commented to the dealer that i had wished i had gotten leather.
the sales guy talked me in to getting custom leather of a thicker material than what comes stock. i think he charged me 3 or 3.5k extra, but i am so glad i upgraded. it came out very nice with matching door panels and ewverything. the vehicle is 18 months old now and people still commet if it is new since it still smells inside with that rich leather smell. worth every penny!