Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H1 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   1995 H1 Test Drive (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42176)

HummerMann 12-08-2011 03:32 PM

1995 H1 Test Drive

I looked at a nice yellow 1995 H1 4 passenger hardtop yesterday with 49,500 miles and the 6.5 diesel. It had the upgraded '97 HVAC system, the owner also said the transfer case drain plug had been upgraded from a rubber plug to a metal one. It drove nicely but the seats showed definite signs of wear and the passenger side front window had a small crack. It was the original owner and he still had the sticker showing it retailed for $59.7k. I was amazed at how well it drove. My only complaint was lots of engine heat coming up through the shifter boot, which was nice yesterday, but could be a pain in the summer and the front end dip on braking whcih everyone tells me is normal. Maybe a Christmas present to myself???????

guruerror 12-08-2011 03:45 PM

Re: 1995 H1 Test Drive

What are you driving now?

The H1s are such awesome machines...as soon as I hit that MegaMillions I'll put one in the driveway, until then the H2 will do. What's he asking for it?

twinmill28 12-08-2011 05:47 PM

I'm with Guru---driving a deuce now but eyeballing 1's. I'm not going to wait for the Mega Millions payout, that might take a little longer than I want!
I've found a really nice 02 that I've been staring at but far from jumping on.
Sounds like a nice 1 you've test driven. Seat wear can be expected, you might just be able to have a new lower cover put on, normally the driver seat is the only one needing attention.
While I might find the window crack annoying, it wouldn't be a show stopper. Now the heat from the shifter boot---you're right, that could suck. Both of those can be handled at one time---take off the doors! Hopefully you'll find a better fix for it though.
But if those are the only concerns, you shoulda brought it home after the test drive!

BACKNBLACK 12-09-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerMann
I looked at a nice yellow 1995 H1 4 passenger hardtop yesterday with 49,500 miles and the 6.5 diesel. It had the upgraded '97 HVAC system, the owner also said the transfer case drain plug had been upgraded from a rubber plug to a metal one. It drove nicely but the seats showed definite signs of wear and the passenger side front window had a small crack. It was the original owner and he still had the sticker showing it retailed for $59.7k. I was amazed at how well it drove. My only complaint was lots of engine heat coming up through the shifter boot, which was nice yesterday, but could be a pain in the summer and the front end dip on braking whcih everyone tells me is normal. Maybe a Christmas present to myself???????

Its an H1! Thats what they do. ALL H1's have thier own character. As a prev 95 H1 owner, 2001 and 2002 owner I can tell you that I WOULD LOOK to BUY no other year than an 03. I have owned 11 Hummers and H1's are by far my favorite, however unless you plan on spending a ton of repair cash on that 95 D please get a 03 or above. In 2003 they worked most of the kinks out and was Hummers best mechanical year. (DIRECT QUOTE FROM SCOTT LIEST HEAD OF HUMMER ENGINEERING)

HummerMann 12-09-2011 02:49 PM

Thanks for the input!! I've owned two H2s and one H3 and most of what I know about H1s comes from this board, online reading, a ride with Lynch in his when I was in St Louis and the test drive in this one.