Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   60 inch L.E.D tailgate light bar problems. (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43982)

SMITH23H2SUT 05-29-2013 01:06 PM

60 inch L.E.D tailgate light bar problems.

I'm about to install my third L.E.D tailgate light bar and I need help. The problem is it is about 1 1/2 inch too wide on each side. In the past I've trimmed each side and used silicone to try and seal the ends to waterproof it, but moisture always gets through after about a year causing me to replace it again. Does anyone know of a better way of sealing the ends after the trim down? It has turn signals,brake,parking, and reverse white L.E.Ds and the look is BADA55 when installed but I'm getting tired of constantly changing it yearly. Any suggestions on sealing the ends? It looks like they're only available in 50 and 60 inch and 50 inch is too narrow.

jsbihn 05-30-2013 12:11 AM

Re: 60 inch L.E.D tailgate light bar problems.

RTV?

Rico001 06-02-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMITH23H2SUT
I'm about to install my third L.E.D tailgate light bar and I need help. The problem is it is about 1 1/2 inch too wide on each side. In the past I've trimmed each side and used silicone to try and seal the ends to waterproof it, but moisture always gets through after about a year causing me to replace it again. Does anyone know of a better way of sealing the ends after the trim down? It has turn signals,brake,parking, and reverse white L.E.Ds and the look is BADA55 when installed but I'm getting tired of constantly changing it yearly. Any suggestions on sealing the ends? It looks like they're only available in 50 and 60 inch and 50 inch is too narrow.

never had to trim the ends off of the 2 that I installed but they both still filled with water or condensation anyways which made them mess up.
I love the things but I have given up on them cause the quality of them seems to be worse with every new one.
~Richard

LoJac963 06-03-2013 12:58 AM

everytime I see one on a truck some of the LED's are out and it looks like crap. I have yet to see one that functions as it should.

SMITH23H2SUT 06-03-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJac963
everytime I see one on a truck some of the LED's are out and it looks like crap. I have yet to see one that functions as it should.

I've had 3 in the past 6 years, and have never had any of the LEDs go on me. I think it's is in the quality of product you purchase. Recons are going for $130 and that is what I've been putting on my truck, and there are the cheap ones out there you can get for 50 bucks but are sure to crap out quick.The only issue that I have is the condensation getting in, and I don't think that would happen if I didn't have to trim the edges. I have yet to see an H2 with one installed besides mine. I have a SUT and it may be narrower than the SUV but I'm not sure, the only light bar I see fitting on my truck without trimming would be a 50" but that would look stupid not cover the whole width.