Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   news on the cracking plasitc trim (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2220)

Grandman 02-07-2006 11:35 PM

This is from high up in Hummer , I have found my upper trim cracking and went to the real source for an answer and here is what i recieved .

Marv,
That has been an issue since day one and it pisses me off. GM has about 7 to 10 people returning the H3 everyday for that. I have bitched, done presentations, and complained at the quality meetings every week. I have both Japan and Mexico complaining of it Globally. I have a fix for the issue, but since it is already cracked you may still see some of this. I will improve though.

New parts have been tooled and will break into production in mid March, service parts will follow shortly there after. I will try and assist your dealer in getting a set of these as early as possible. I will check tommorrow to see when Service Parts will have them. If thats takes a while, I'll check the plant.

Mike E 02-08-2006 01:09 AM

What do you mean by upper trim?

Grandman 02-08-2006 01:15 AM

There is another thread about this with a photo showing the tirm im talking about . Up on the roof line at the front . Im having the same problem so i contacted some one i know inside Hummer .

F5 said a fix is coming so i checked with some one inside that should know about it . As all ways F5 is correct .

TexasRTR78 02-09-2006 12:57 AM

I was curious 'bout mine so I went out and checked....YUP, mine is separating and looks to be "old" in appearence...can't really tell if it's cracked 'cause its dark outside. Would not suprise me if it is, though. I am going be getting my first oil change soon so this is just something I will have to add to the list of "fix 'ems" for the dealership.

wannabeH3 02-09-2006 01:18 PM

pictures

partsguy 02-09-2006 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe one of these.

HoKC 02-09-2006 02:39 PM

Isn't that the famous yellow submarine photo.

jp's-h3 02-10-2006 12:23 AM

I've also had probs. w/ this. It was fixed under warranty. what is the fix and, when will it take place? will this be a recall for all H3's? Thanks!

Grandman 02-10-2006 02:48 AM

I posted the note i got back . Mid March it says and i dont know but i think it is only to repair the cracked ones , not a total recall .

That yellow H3 is at Siler lake here in Michigan . He post here now and then . Hurf

gc2488 02-10-2006 03:25 AM

"Me too." One of these plastic roof rail "runners"
had a crack and the other wasn't snug against the windshield.
It took a month to get a replacement part in,
but my dealer (Jerry Seiner in Salt Lake City, Utah)
replaced it last week and it was a pleasure to be there
for service. Good job, GM and Jerry Seiner employees.

Picture:

I hope Hummer can iron out little design problems like this
and make the H4 design and introduction as good as the H3
(quiet luxurious ride, great stock off-road setup,
and style). Even more clearance like the original Humvee, please...

Grandman 02-10-2006 12:48 PM

This message just came on the plastic rails .

Grandman, I just recieved a note this morning that Service parts won't be available until May. The second tier supplier went belly up (another reason why we need to protect manufacturing in the US) and now we need to move the tools. The production parts are moved to the end of March.

If I can snag a set of parts, I will let you know.

fourfourto 02-10-2006 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Grandman:
This message just came on the plastic rails .

Grandman, I just recieved a note this morning that Service parts won't be available until May. The second tier supplier went belly up (another reason why we need to protect manufacturing in the US) and now we need to move the tools. The production parts are moved to the end of March.

If I can snag a set of parts, I will let you know.

That sucks im waiting for my right side .Its still on there good no rattles or vibrations.

HummerJim 02-10-2006 01:17 PM

No cracks - maybe because I've used the Low - Gloss Grey Label Armorall (not so easy to find anymore) on all my plastic a few times, but in the interim it would seem the black Permatex High Heat Silicone (comes in an orange tube) would fill in the crack without notice - it is also a low shine silicone filler & I've used it on firewalls around wires many times.

jp's-h3 02-10-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gc2488:
"Me too." One of these plastic roof rail "runners"
had a crack and the other wasn't snug against the windshield.
It took a month to get a replacement part in,
but my dealer (Jerry Seiner in Salt Lake City, Utah)
replaced it last week and it was a pleasure to be there
for service. Good job, GM and Jerry Seiner employees.

Picture:

I hope Hummer can iron out little design problems like this
and make the H4 design and introduction as good as the H3
(quiet luxurious ride, great stock off-road setup,
and style). Even more clearance like the original Humvee, please...

nice to see another H3'ER from salt lake. I also bought my H3 from Jerry Seiner Hummer!
We should try to get a local H3 club going!
If intrested let me know! JP'S-H3

H3inAZ 02-11-2006 12:54 AM

Ours also had a crack in the same area on the drivers side.

MyxH3 02-12-2006 01:22 AM

WOW thanks for the heads up. I just went and looked at mine and both sides are cracked. I will notify my dealer on Monday so they can record it. THANKS GANG

f5fstop 02-14-2006 11:26 PM

This thread has jinxed my roof rail. I swear last week I checked and it was ok. Today, when getting in I noticed a crack, just like in the photo on the driver's side only.
Guess I'll wait until they get the fix out before bothering the dealer.

TexasRTR78 02-15-2006 02:41 PM

Well, I went out and had a better look...it's cracked. So, called the dealer since my oil light came on today...he said to just bring it by whenever...we'll see how it goes I guess.

DarthKarl 02-15-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by f5fstop:
This thread has jinxed my roof rail.

x2

I'm in the same boat, I know the last time I washed the rig (about a week or so ago) they were fine. I took a look at lunch today and they're cracked on both sides.

Surferjo 02-15-2006 08:22 PM

I think i would like to join the roof crack club also.

For those who may not know exactly where to look.