Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Radiator leaking trans fluid (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44967)

Dogpoor 09-01-2015 02:47 AM

Radiator leaking trans fluid

Noticed a small spot of fluid underneath the H2 today. Investigated and can see transmission fluid seeping from the upper radiator on the drivers side. Fairly close to the upper transmission line. The transmission line fitting is tight, radiator seem must be giving way?
The H2 is a 2004 with a tru-cool transmission cooler already installed.
No evidence of fluid contamination.
Can I bypass the radiator trans cooler?
If so how?
Should I replace the radiator?
Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Dogpoor 09-02-2015 12:26 PM

Re: Radiator leaking trans fluid

Well after some thought I'm opting for replacing the radiator.
Didn't have any feedback on bypassing the trans cooler and if that is leaking when's the whole radiator going to let go?
Bought the AC delco replacement for 150 on Amazon.
Looks fairly straightforward lol.
Any advice on removal/install or just dive in
Thanks in advance for ANY input.

citiboy 09-02-2015 03:23 PM

I just installed a tru-cool external cooler last week, you can bypass the radiator cooler. No cutting of the tranny line is necessary, Remove the line retaining clip from the radiator cooler, unplug the line and directly connect it to the external cooler hoses. I just plugged the radiator cooler so no dirt will go in. With this set-up, you can always return to stock (without an external cooler) if something happen to the newly installed cooler.

HummerJim 09-03-2015 02:17 PM

This is a pretty common problem on the H2. The same thing happened to me and I replaced the radiator and had an AAMCO rebuilt transmission put in, because water in the transmission fluid will chew up the transmission fast.
As for aftermarket transmission coolers I used the 1 ton Chevy cooler available over the Chevy parts counter. If you search, there are several threads on this with pictures. The only issue with the cooler is that in cold temperatures the tranny temp gauge hugs the 100 mark and it can be a little sluggish on shifting, however hauling a small 1000 pound trailer in the Rockies last August it stayed under 200 the entire time!

Dogpoor 09-08-2015 12:54 AM

Ok, thanks for the input. I ordered a new radiator after verifying that the previous owner had already bypassed the tranny cooler with a tru cool transmission cooler. So the fluid I saw on the ground was most likely dex-cool.
I also saw fluid weeping from one of the seams by the engine oil cooler line.
So yesterday I pull the radiator, and reinstall a delco, made in the good ole USA,
Radiator. Couldn't believe it was actually made here.
Reinstall went fine, figured I'd change oil why I was at it.
Refilled with Dexcool and check for leaks.
Everything is running good, I rev it up to about 4k in the garage watching my temp gauge and watch the oil pressure gauge go from 60 psi to 0.
WTF, I immediately shut it down and get to see all that beautiful Mobil 1 blowing all over the ground. The lower oil line blew out of the connection. What a hot mess. Thank God I was testing it in the shop and not on the road.
So I clean everything up and figure I just didn't seat the connection properly.
Reconnect when cooled, tug on it, pull on it, feels like everything is as tight as it supposed to be.
So today I go and get another jug of $35 Mobil 1, fill it up, check all connections
and start it up. Everything is going great, rev it up a couple of times, seems to be fine. Rev it up to about 4k ( which I had done many a time with the old radiator) and sumbitch the line blew again.
This time I at least had the foresight to park it in the gravel driveway, so the mess doesn't look as bad
Help!!!!! Has anyone else had this problem, I'm contacting Amazon, everything looked right and felt right. Should I replace the oil cooler lines? I'm thinking about taking the old fitting out of the old radiator and putting it in.
I'm perplexed I don't want to take this sucker out, it's a semi pain in the ass
Sorry for the rant

Dogpoor 09-08-2015 02:54 AM

Ok so nothing like answering your own question.
What a maroon, I clipped the lines in and the retainer clips locked, but I did not put the clip retainer (plastic round piece that keeps the clip on under stress) on.
What a dummy!
I feel pretty stupid but I'm feeling pretty blessed that I figured it out in the driveway. Wheh talk about an expensive oil flush!
Oh well it's a lot cheaper than an an engine, and wow is that engine shiny

HummerJim 09-08-2015 02:16 PM

Don't feel alone, I have double marine high pressure clamps on my lines as a result of a similar incident.

Dogpoor 09-14-2015 01:55 AM

I thought about upgrading after I saw easy a catastrophic failure could happen.
Drove the heck out of it with oil pressure behaving, but I'll be keeping a close eye on that gauge.
Thanks for the input