Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to "dye" the bumpers? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44623)

jsbihn 01-10-2014 02:20 PM

How to "dye" the bumpers?

I was reading a thread about a guy who said he "dyed" he bumpers and exterior moulding back to black.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea of how to do this?
(I am assume this is something more than just doing armor-all, back-to-black or something like that on your bumpers)

Thanks in advance

fyr145 01-10-2014 02:35 PM

Re: How to "dye" the bumpers?

I think they were referencing this product..............

http://www.wipenew.com/?gclid=CMr18c...FeU1QgodHScAdQ

PaHumBug 01-10-2014 02:36 PM

griots has a system of cleaning and then dying the plastic.

jsbihn 01-10-2014 09:19 PM

fyr,
Not sure.... I mean the guy actually said "dye" the bumper.
Personally, I wouldnt consider wipe new or back to black a "dye" but a conditioner or a dressing.

PHB,
Thanks. I will look into that.

I know that some of the moulding on other vehicles, you can take a heat gun and "express" the color back out of the plastic... so I thought that it was possible with this

LoJac963 01-10-2014 11:49 PM

As much as everyone rants and raves about Griots, it's junk also. It look awesome when I first did it but the rear bumper looks horrible again....

jsbihn 01-11-2014 01:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up LJ.
I am definitely one that hates to waste money... especially in this economy.
So would you have any recommendations?

Rico001 01-11-2014 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Thanks for the heads up LJ.
I am definitely one that hates to waste money... especially in this economy.
So would you have any recommendations?

what about a bed liner coating I know others have done it but I do not remember anyone saying a price

jsbihn 01-11-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico001
what about a bed liner coating I know others have done it but I do not remember anyone saying a price

Rico,
Do you mean a spray on bedliner.... something like Line-x or Rhino?

LoJac963 01-12-2014 12:20 AM

That's the only route that won't be a temporary fix honestly. I'm thinking of doing Line-X on my front and rear plastic along with my fender flares.

glennf1 01-12-2014 02:45 AM

I used Griot's bumper and trim conditioner after reading reviews on here. It lasts a good 1-1.5 years before having to touch it up. At first you may have to put on a 2nd coat in about a month but after that it stays black even through car washes. Just my experience.

PaHumBug 01-13-2014 04:54 PM

you have to use the whole griots system too. If you just use the dye it doesn't last, but they have several products to use in a particular order that cleans the plastice before dying it which makes it last a couple years. I've never tried the wipe new stuff mentioned earlier, but the commericals make it look awesome...:notallthere:

jsbihn 01-13-2014 07:11 PM

Well Honestly I have to say that I used this Back to Black stuff on my Vette and it worked really well. Sure it wasnt a permanent fix and I guess if I used some dressing with it the results would have lasted longer, but I have a feeling thats the way i am going to go.

It is cheap and I know it works.

Given, that wipe new stuff looks like the same stuff I used to use a while back that was incredible. I dont think they make it anymore but it was made by I think black magic and was a silicon based product

jmudler 01-13-2014 09:39 PM

I used a product called "forever black". I am pretty happy with it. 6 months, park outside and in the mud all the time. I followed the instructions and did 3-4 coats.

I will add, I took off the bumper covers and flares when I did it. The stuff does stick to paint like dried car wax. It does come off however.

LoJac963 01-13-2014 10:17 PM

I don't think anything that is wiped or rubbed on is going to be a one go permanent solution. I will Line-X all my stuff eventually and just be done with it.