Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   GArmin Nuvi install (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27783)

JH3 06-18-2007 08:25 PM

GArmin Nuvi install

Anyone wire in a Nuvi to an H3 yet? Trying to get ideas on where to have the wire come up to the Nuvi from the dash and what wire(s) to tap into. Would like to run a wire to the fuse box, but since it is under the hood, it may be more work than it is worth. Would like it to come on and turn off with the ignition rather than using the sockets, which are hot all the time. Any thoughts?

fourfourto 06-18-2007 08:40 PM

Re: GArmin Nuvi install

Quote:

Originally Posted by JH3
Anyone wire in a Nuvi to an H3 yet? Trying to get ideas on where to have the wire come up to the Nuvi from the dash and what wire(s) to tap into. Would like to run a wire to the fuse box, but since it is under the hood, it may be more work than it is worth. Would like it to come on and turn off with the ignition rather than using the sockets, which are hot all the time. Any thoughts?

Use a relay off the ignition wire (White/green wire running down from the key)and power it with a constant 12 volt wire(Theres one in the cluster to the right of wheel toward the radio side or use 12 Volt outlet wire)
Thats the way I hooked up my fridge

JH3 06-18-2007 08:47 PM

Thanks!

2xtreme 06-19-2007 11:37 PM

Post pics when done, I have a nuvi 660 and would be intrested how it looks when done.:popcorn:

Urban Ops 06-20-2007 01:46 AM

I hard wired my 330c in the fuse box. Just run a wire through the hole with the wire cluster on the firewall right into the fuse box. I used a terminal not used by my car. Electric seats I believe. Easy Peasy.

JH3 06-20-2007 03:46 PM

Great idea. Was going to run it through the hood release cable into the engine bay and up to the fuse box, but this will work better. Does the electric seats fuse turn off with the ignition?

aflax24 06-20-2007 08:37 PM

I used the rear wiper switch for my radar detector, no problem.

fourfourto 06-20-2007 09:15 PM

The rear wiper will work with key foward and key back,It might be better to also use accy on a Gps.
I would run it through a relay if you hook up something that draws power a relay must be used (Im not sure about the radar )
I have my clinometor hooked up without one but its just a small bulb thats powered off the lights for the knobs..

Urban Ops 06-21-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JH3
Great idea. Was going to run it through the hood release cable into the engine bay and up to the fuse box, but this will work better. Does the electric seats fuse turn off with the ignition?

Maybe it was the seat heater.... I'll look again. What ever I used, It turns off.

Ok, actually I hooked it up to number 10 SPO. I don't know what that is but it is not hot all the time. I believe I did the test light thing with the key on and off. That slot is not used on my car.

Talk about dirty! The inside of my fuse box looked like a desert scene. Bad location GM.