Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rocker Panel Rock Rails (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19558)

Sewie 08-24-2006 08:44 PM

Re: Rocker Panel Rock Rails

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubs
I don't think what is pictured for "Rocker Panel Protection" is supposed to be highlighting the step looking object.

Pretty sure it is.

From the Amstar site:

Quote:

IMAGINE: Rocker Panel Protection.

The integrated side step and rocker panel protection uses 3/16-inch steel plating. Newly designed side step is three inches higher than the factory step providing additional ground clearance when the terrain becomes rough. The smooth underside allows your vehicle to slide over things that it might otherwise hang up on.

As I said before....They just look like tubesteps with modified brackets so they sit closer to the rocker panel.:rolleyes:

Sewie 08-24-2006 08:47 PM

Although, looking at the pic again it does look like there might be a plate on the underside of the step. They really need some better pics.

I still prefer the RR rails or the OEM ones.

Aubs 08-24-2006 08:56 PM

Oh, yeah. I missed the "Step" in the description. It is a bad photo though of whatever they are trying to show us.

ChasH3 08-24-2006 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
okay, I finally put the rock rails and one set of U-steps on the H3... Here's a pic.....

BABHUMV 08-25-2006 06:01 AM

How easily can you remove that step? I know the stuff I went over it would catch quite easily.

H3slate 08-25-2006 06:17 AM

Here is another view of the Amstar rock rail. Shows the smooth underside which looks like is color matched with the rig.

Would be nice to slide over stuff, but being lower it would scrape a lot more.]

Sewie 08-25-2006 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3slate
Here is another view of the Amstar rock rail. Shows the smooth underside which looks like is color matched with the rig.

Would be nice to slide over stuff, but being lower it would scrape a lot more.

Nice find. That pic confirms what I thought. They just modified the tubesteps.:rolleyes: Check out the bracket.

Attachment 28755

I think I'll pass on those.

Zoomie 08-25-2006 07:08 AM

WoW! I really like the Rocky Road frame rails. :perfect10s: Does anyone have these installed? I need to know if the top of the rail is higher than the OEM chrome POS that I now have? Reason I ask is my wiff is a squatty body who needs a running leap to get into the H3 as it is now.:shhh: (She doesn't read these forums, yet. :twak: Guess I could call the company and find out.

Sewie 08-25-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomie
WoW! I really like the Rocky Road frame rails. Does anyone have these installed?

Yes, BABHUMV's truck was used for the prototype. Don't know if anyone else has them yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomie
I need to know if the top of the rail is higher than the OEM chrome POS that I now have?

Yes, they sit up against the rocker panel and the step portion actually angles up a bit.

Zoomie 08-25-2006 07:38 AM

Maybe I can get her a stepstool. :twak: I wonder if the UPC under body protection works with them?

westhillsat 08-25-2006 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BABHUMV
How easily can you remove that step? I know the stuff I went over it would catch quite easily.

BAB, I have the steps. I took them off before we left for Moab. There are four nuts for each step. "Bolts" are permanently attached to the steps and they just slide through the holes in the rocker protection, I then just tighten the nuts with a socket wrench.

Attachment 28760

Zoomie 08-25-2006 07:59 AM

HMMM Maybe these would work better with squatty body wiff. Are these OEM, or after market?:rolleyes:

H3slate 08-26-2006 06:42 AM

I found this description of the Amstar rocker panel protection

Quote:

The integrated side step and rocker panel protection uses 3/16-inch steel plating. Newly designed side step is three inches higher than the factory step providing additional ground clearance when the terrain becomes rough. The smooth underside allows your vehicle to slide over things that it might otherwise hang up on.

this helps to show how high these steps sit.

This pic is for the shock plate, but in the back you can see that the steps/rockpanels are not lower than the frame of the vehicle

So is the whole thing made of 3/16? or just the skid plate on the bottom? The Rocky Road rockrail is made entirely of 3/16. The oem rails don't specify how thick the steel is.

DRTYFN 08-27-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
I think she only mentioned you :twak: :D ;)

This goes waaaay beyond this site.:OWNED:

HummBebe 08-27-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRTYFN
BUWAHAHAHA!!!!!! You must have me confused with your obsessed puppy. You keep telling yourself how everyone wants you and I'll keep laughing at your delusions. :giggling: :OWNED:

you doth protest too much...

cestwick 08-30-2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewie
They only used 3 supports instead of four. The fourth set of holes on the frame rail were covered by a label so I'm guessing they missed them. Still very solid, but if the holes are there, might as well put a support there.

Also, one of the cables for the parking brake was run under one of the supports.

Have you talked to them about the forth set of support brackets?? I ordered a set yesterday and talked with one of there sales guys briefly but he didn't know what I was talking about exactly but said he would pass on the info.

Chris

Sewie 08-30-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cestwick
Have you talked to them about the forth set of support brackets?? I ordered a set yesterday and talked with one of there sales guys briefly but he didn't know what I was talking about exactly but said he would pass on the info.

Chris

Yes, I emailed Glenn at RR about it. He didn't mention why it was left off but I'm guessing they just didn't see the holes. They were covered by a label on the frame.

He did say they tested it as is and saw no flex. But he didn't say whether or not they would add the fourth support in the future.

ChasH3 08-31-2006 04:20 AM

Where can I get the Shock skid plates????? Called Amstar, they said I can only purchase from the dealer... The dealer (Parts Dept.) said they don't deal with Amstar.... :rant:

HummerNewbie 08-31-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasH3
Called Amstar, they said I can only purchase from the dealer...

Biggest mistake they could have made :mad:

ChasH3 08-31-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewie
Yes, I emailed Glenn at RR about it. He didn't mention why it was left off but I'm guessing they just didn't see the holes. They were covered by a label on the frame.

He did say they tested it as is and saw no flex. But he didn't say whether or not they would add the fourth support in the future.

I know when I put the OEM rock rails on my H3... I had to peel away the labels on both sides... Otherwise you wouldn't even see the holes...:D