Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H1 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Question about part in Hummer ? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33990)

nWo 05-07-2008 03:41 AM

Question about part in Hummer ?

What this part for?

What is doo in the car?

ssgharkness020147 05-07-2008 04:53 AM

Re: Question about part in Hummer ?

The first pic shows the airbox canister, the others are the snorkel.

nWo 05-07-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
The first pic shows the airbox canister, the others are the snorkel.

What is the snorkel ?

lvs 05-07-2008 03:27 PM

It keeps water from going into the air intake. Don't take it off. You need that.

nWo 05-07-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvs
It keeps water from going into the air intake. Don't take it off. You need that.

Can you Explain more about it ?

with Photos

HummerHippy 05-07-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nWo

with Photos

Nope. 2 question maximum per part. :clapping:

Think about it a little. What happens to you when you get water in you, where only air should be? That's what that does.

nWo 05-07-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerHippy
Nope. 2 question maximum per part. :clapping:

Think about it a little. What happens to you when you get water in you, where only air should be? That's what that does.

you are really smart

how you come up with that

:jump:

lvs 05-08-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nWo

with Photos

You're joking, right? It would be a picture of a Hummer that would not start.

BigKofJustice 05-08-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nWo

with Photos

I don't have pictures, but technically speaking you can run the truck without the air intake stack and the filter. Your engine wouldn't last very long, the filter canister keeps sand, dirt and dust out of the engine intake and turbocharger.

The air filter can is huge, like a big truck or construction vehicle because the H1 is designed to work in dusty/dirty environments. That's why the air filter is two to three times the size of most other trucks/suv's air systems.

The intake mushroom/snorkel is less critical. It acts as sort of a prefilter to keep the big stuff, like snow/mud/dirt from getting into the filter system. The snorkel isn't super useful for water fording, because there is a duckbill/dust trip on the bottom of the air filter can. [military humvee's have a sealed can and a lever to seal the venting system for the driveline] If you sit in deep water for too long, water will get in through the air filter and you'll hydrolock your engine. If you bend a connecting rod or crack the block you're looking at a rebuild or replacement.

The gasoline H1's have 2, one on each side which is kinda odd, I did a double take when I checked under the hood of a gas h1.

nWo 05-08-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKofJustice
I don't have pictures, but technically speaking you can run the truck without the air intake stack and the filter. Your engine wouldn't last very long, the filter canister keeps sand, dirt and dust out of the engine intake and turbocharger.

The air filter can is huge, like a big truck or construction vehicle because the H1 is designed to work in dusty/dirty environments. That's why the air filter is two to three times the size of most other trucks/suv's air systems.

The intake mushroom/snorkel is less critical. It acts as sort of a prefilter to keep the big stuff, like snow/mud/dirt from getting into the filter system. The snorkel isn't super useful for water fording, because there is a duckbill/dust trip on the bottom of the air filter can. [military humvee's have a sealed can and a lever to seal the venting system for the driveline] If you sit in deep water for too long, water will get in through the air filter and you'll hydrolock your engine. If you bend a connecting rod or crack the block you're looking at a rebuild or replacement.

The gasoline H1's have 2, one on each side which is kinda odd, I did a double take when I checked under the hood of a gas h1.

Thank you for the explain