Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   H2 under hood insulation pad (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43534)

HummerMann 05-12-2013 01:30 PM

H2 under hood insulation pad

My black under hood insulation pad is starting to look worn, torn, and ragged. I used to see them on EBay for $65, but can't find them on Ebay anymore. I went to the local Cadillac GM dealer here and the parts guy told me they are no longer available through GM. Ideas?

LoJac963 05-13-2013 12:55 AM

Re: H2 under hood insulation pad

have to find the part number and see if any of the GM parts websites have them. I can only imagine the price gouging on the shipping though!

fyr145 05-13-2013 03:42 AM

Part # 15800593.

I tried getting one of these as well. Either they don't have it or the shipping costs are more than the cost of the pad itself. Sorry.

LoJac963 05-13-2013 10:58 AM

yeah unfortunately that's for most. To buy a new one for out Sky Redline the shipping is almost $200....its a joke!

HummerMann 06-10-2013 02:11 PM

I just got the Email this morning that the H2 under hood pad is in stock again and I'm having it shipped from GM parts direct. Yes, the shipping and handling is outrageous, but I want to get one while they are still available and try to keep the mice from eating this one. Do those big black disks that hold it in place just pull out? I wonder if the pad will come with new disks?
While I'm at it, I ordered new radiator hoses and a new engine belt. My radiator coolant recovery tank has a deep gouge on top and is discolored so I ordered one of those. Last night I pumped out the power steering fluid and replaced that too. It's time to give the H2 some love.

HummerJim 06-10-2013 02:15 PM

You'll have to post a before and after picture when you are done. I'm really not sure about those disks either. I think? they just pull out??

fyr145 06-10-2013 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hummer Man,

Funny you should mention this very part. I just ordered the under hood pad as well as mine is faded, and peeling off on one side.

HummerJim, I began wondering about those little black plastic clips too. The clips are a completely separate part. There are a total of 9 of those clips, 4 across the top, 2 in the center, and 3 along the bottom. Fortunately, I have a tool that will help me get those off.Its similar to those tools used to pop the clips off on the doors. My pad should be here soon. If for some reason I destroy one of them, I will simply order replacements. They are available form many places other than the dealership.

I attached a pic of the under hood clip here. OEM part # 15800593

LoJac963 06-10-2013 07:14 PM

typically those style push in retainers will be fine to pop out once and reuse. If you've popped them out a bunch of times the little barbs will begin to fail and the retained won't hold. But as I mentioned popping them out for the first time and reusing them will be fine....unless you break one which you shouldn't.

fyr145 06-10-2013 09:53 PM

I used to use flat head screwdrivers and just destroy retainers like these, then one day I got smart (if you can believe it) and got the right tool that makes popping these off a breeze!!!

Lesson learned: Spending a few $$ to have the right tools always make the jobs easier and less stressful. :p

HummerJim 07-06-2013 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After a month wait I got the pad from GM parts direct yesterday. Those fasteners pop off with your fingers and can be reused. A ten minute job that makes a world of difference when you open the hood. I'm not sure if the old one was ragged from the years of driving or the mice nibbled on it.

HummerJim 07-06-2013 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before!

fyr145 07-06-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerJim
After a month wait I got the pad from GM parts direct yesterday. Those fasteners pop off with your fingers and can be reused. A ten minute job that makes a world of difference when you open the hood. I'm not sure if the old one was ragged from the years of driving or the mice nibbled on it.

I also ordered one and looks really nice now. I had one that was faded and the corners were coming off like your 'before" pic. Glad I ordered one.

carloquaglia 07-09-2013 08:33 AM

:perfect10s: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

LoJac963 07-09-2013 10:39 AM

That pic is crazy! Mine gets a little dusty here in AZ but when I wash the rig I hit the engine compartment and the insulator with my pressure washer and it looks brand new!

Half tempted to buy one just to store away for the future.....add to my parts bin for the 2 lol