Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KC Backup Lights (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42820)

Egan 08-14-2012 03:57 AM

KC Backup Lights

Needing more light when backing up, I ordered some KC KCC-517 backup flood lights to mount on the back of my Gobi SUT bed rack. Summit had them for a good price and their warehouse is not too far away (far enough to be tax free, close enough to make ground shipping 2-day shipping).

I had to increase the mount hole size on the Gobi rack a couple of steps so the large KC bolt would go through.

Mounted:

Re: KC Backup Lights

I had previously mounted switches in the cabin to support lights and my airhorn. They're squeezed between the two headliner catches. Left to right we have front floods (future), front spots (future), air horn/regular horn switch, airhorn compressor, and backup lights.

#1, #2, and #5 are fed from battery power and #3 and #4 are accessory power.

The battery power is off an accessory fuse panel I installed after running hot and common ground through the firewall grommet:

Egan 08-14-2012 03:58 AM

The switched power for the backup lights, airhorn switch, and airhorn compressor run through a grommeted hole I made in the floor:

The backup light power routes back to the driver's taillight. KC was kind enough to include a relay that allows the lights to run off the backup lights or the switch I installed in the cab:

Egan 08-14-2012 03:58 AM

I routed the wiring as cleanly as I could. One thing to note, the light mounts themselves are not good grounds since the bed rack has a piece of rubber between the rail mounts and the bed rails. I ran a dedicated ground into the same area as the relay.

Egan 08-14-2012 04:00 AM

I can still load the rack up without interfering with the lights. This is a really slick feature on the Gobi rack.

LoJac963 08-14-2012 11:26 AM

looks good, I plan on mounting my switches in that same spot just need to get them ordered.

I should post pics on here of my custom light brackets I made for my stealth....

[__--MUD--__] 08-14-2012 02:20 PM

Are you running all power through the switches for the accessories, or are the switches wired to relays?

Egan 08-14-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
Are you running all power through the switches for the accessories, or are the switches wired to relays?

For the yet to be ordered/installed front lights, I will probably use a relay similar to the backup lights. Those switches get battery hot so I won't have to turn the key to fire the lights/relays up.

The airhorn switch (to switch between stock horn and airhorn+stock horn) won't need a relay and I won't put one on the compressor switch either. All 5 switches are rated for 30 amps.

PaHumBug 08-14-2012 02:35 PM

I love that they come on when you're in reverse or you can turn them on manually. Great for off roading as well as the duechey behind you with his high beams on...:giggling:

Egan 08-14-2012 02:37 PM

View from behind:

View from the front at 5:45am before heading to work (what happened to summer?):

Humvee21 08-14-2012 06:03 PM

I like the way you mounted the switches. Looks close to OEM, but I wish the switches themselves were prettier. Maybe if they looked a little like the Ford Raptor switches it'd be better.

But still... really like the way you mounted them! Good job

[__--MUD--__] 08-15-2012 05:26 PM

Some nice looking switches. You can get any design lasercut in them.

https://otrattw.com/index.php