Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Boulder Accessories bumper install trouble on H3t (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37877)

Err 07-16-2009 04:28 AM

Boulder Accessories bumper install trouble on H3t

Anyone have any tips or tricks on getting this thing lined up properly? Been fighting with it for a few hours and it's still not on. Really weird, keep getting hung up. For reference, I turn wrenches on one toy or another almost every day. I've got a pair of floor jacks out trying to get this thing lined up but it almost looks like it's not going to fit.

Any tips from those who have installed would be appreciated...

As I look more closely, it appears that the underside of the bumper not clearanced to allow for the frame rail. From the tip of the frame rail, there is a piece of metal welded on the underside of it. It looks like the bumper was manufactured incorrectly and needs to be trimmed. Anyone else ever see this?

H3slate 07-16-2009 05:09 AM

Re: Boulder Accessories bumper install trouble on H3t

Did you remove the crossmember brace between the frame rails. I know they added it to the alphas and that you had to remove it to install the BA bumper. Should just be a round tube right behind where the tow hooks mount.

Good luck!

Err 07-16-2009 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3slate
Did you remove the crossmember brace between the frame rails. I know they added it to the alphas and that you had to remove it to install the BA bumper. Should just be a round tube right behind where the tow hooks mount.

Good luck!

No, I did not, OK this makes complete sense. So cut off the brace? I need to walk back out there to be sure but it looks to be welded on.

Here's a few pics of my battle, it's entirely with that brace at the front of the frame rails.

Bumper bolted to frame rails but severely tilted -

From the side you can see the tilt -

From the drivers side again, squated down low, you can see the brace interfering with the bumper (I was considering removing material from the bumper as opposed to the brace) -

tomp 07-16-2009 05:59 AM

The round-tube cross member is bolted on. Just take out the bolts and throw it in the trash

timgco 07-16-2009 07:25 AM

...and than go buy an 06/07 skid plate because yours will not fit.

H3slate 07-16-2009 09:50 AM

Pretty much what they said too!

Err 07-16-2009 03:18 PM

Thanks guys! Knew about the skid plate but not removing the brace. Issue resolved.

Ronnie_Ringo 07-17-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Err
Thanks guys! Knew about the skid plate but not removing the brace. Issue resolved.

I bought the bumper about a month ago and it's still sitting in my garage. I was wondering if you really had to remove the grill and why? Anything difficult about the install?

Err 07-17-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie_Ringo
I bought the bumper about a month ago and it's still sitting in my garage. I was wondering if you really had to remove the grill and why? Anything difficult about the install?

You'll want to pull the grill out of the way to run the winch wires.
If you have an 08+ model year, remove the brace on the frame
If you have an 08+ model year, you'll need an 06-07 skid plate (4speedfunk on the *******club forms make custom skids that will also accommodate this bumper)
Remove the 4 bolts on the underside of the bumper that attach the winch, makes it much easier to align.
Buy about 5 ft of 1" wire loom to protect the winch wires, there are some sharp metal edges that they pass over.
That's about it, otherwise its an easy install.

Airman84 07-27-2009 05:31 PM

Hey man cool T! I got my boulder bumper in the mail right before I left on a depolyment to Italy... so didnt get a chance to install it yet. Do you have any side pictures of your truck... of the whole vehicle... i'd really like to see how it turned out!