Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photos of YOUR H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hummer steps are on... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36865)

hdmlnium 02-28-2009 05:22 PM

Hummer steps are on...

Just wanted to thank Bimmer9938 for the steps and rockers. I put them on this morning and all went smooth. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. They make getting in the Hummer a lot easier now, less wear and tear on the seats as you don't have to slide across to get in anymore.
Anyway, I thought I would add a few pics..
Bill

wingn69 02-28-2009 06:41 PM

Re: Hummer steps are on...

I like then looks great :perfect10s: but do they come in chrome???

Boss Hoss 02-28-2009 07:13 PM

Looks nice, i just bought some LE steps as well and im pretty anxious to put them on. How does the trim piece match up with the factory trim that it butts up to? Was the install straight forward?

hdmlnium 02-28-2009 07:40 PM

The new rockers are a smooth black finish, were as the factory rockers were slightly texured black finish. I just installed them the way that they were, they don't look that far off at all and I figured if I had them texured painted that it still would be off a little so they are fine as is in my mind.
As far as a straight forward install goes, it was..
The hardest part was taking the factory rockers off. After you take out all the pushpins out from under neath there are plastic clips that still hold the rockers on. You need to pry the rockers off by breaking the factory clips. A little nerve racking but once you do one side the second side is a piece of cake.
Good luck with your install, it really wasn't that bad at all..

Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Looks nice, i just bought some LE steps as well and im pretty anxious to put them on. How does the trim piece match up with the factory trim that it butts up to? Was the install straight forward?

Boss Hoss 02-28-2009 07:48 PM

Im guessing you had to take your rock rails off for the install? Mine are so banged up underneath there im thinking they may not go back on without alot of convincing/hammering.

WHOSNEXT 02-28-2009 08:06 PM

i like....where did u get them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmlnium
Just wanted to thank Bimmer9938 for the steps and rockers. I put them on this morning and all went smooth. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. They make getting in the Hummer a lot easier now, less wear and tear on the seats as you don't have to slide across to get in anymore.
Anyway, I thought I would add a few pics..
Bill

hdmlnium 02-28-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Im guessing you had to take your rock rails off for the install? Mine are so banged up underneath there im thinking they may not go back on without alot of convincing/hammering.

Nope, the rock rails stay put. You take the plastic rockers off then you slide the steps in place. Bolt them up, put the new rockers in place then attach the ends of your fender flairs and your done.. Pretty easy install..

Bill

hdmlnium 02-28-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHOSNEXT

I bought them from Bimmer9938 from this forum, not sure where he got them but they were new and just as he described.. Thanks Jon.....

Bill

Boss Hoss 02-28-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHOSNEXT

I got mine from teh same guy that is selling the cheap winch bumpers on Ebay. I picked up the only ones with black trim that i have seen him list but you i have seen several who use the steps with stock trim. Here is one of his listings but he has several if you go through the sellers other items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rocker-Covers-and-Side-Steps-Yellow-for-H2-SUT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3 a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem 140304401742QQitemZ140304401742QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5 fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

OrangeCrush 03-01-2009 03:37 AM

WOW, that looks GREAT. I've got a set here from Tim that I can have for the asking. I just didn't do it yet because of the texture issue but I can make something up in the paintshop to match it.

Now that I've seen yours, I'll have mine on this week.

Thanks,

Mark

timgco 03-01-2009 06:50 AM

Man, I'm really liking the way you built this rig up!!!

Q: Do you have to remove the plastic rocker panels to take the new steps on and off OR do they just unbolt and can be removed easily?

tomp 03-01-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgco
Man, I'm really liking the way you built this rig up!!!

Q: Do you have to remove the plastic rocker panels to take the new steps on and off OR do they just unbolt and can be removed easily?

They come off fairly easy but do rub against the flare, inside the cut-out, when removing them. If you use your rock rails, you can eventually forget about taking them on/off again as the rails will eventually move upward permanently from then weight of the H2. I ended up having to extend my rails outward by 3/4" to prevent this from happening. At the same time I extended them, I also brought them back down to where they provide the factory spacing between the rail/flare. I also added some cross bracing on the rails to strengthen them up, so the weight of the H2 would no longer be a problem.

These are probably the best looking steps for an H2, IMHO. They do have some negatives to them though.

frenzy1 03-01-2009 11:48 AM

great mod !!:perfect10s:

HummerMann 03-01-2009 03:19 PM

I like those a lot! The nicest part is that you don't have to remove the entire lower bar, like I do, when I do serious offroading and rock crawling. I've gotten good at taking off the lower tubular step bar, but it's still a pain and every time I don't, it gets hung up on something & bent or dented a little, if I'm doing some serious terrain.

Boss Hoss 03-01-2009 10:02 PM

Found them for $118/shipped, but not in black so you could either paint the trim, strip the paint off the trim, or ditch the trim and use the steps alone.

Use code 15offmarch at checkout for 15%off:
http://shop.boulderaccessories.com/c...?categoryId=10

splne1 03-01-2009 10:35 PM

Just ordered my set:excited: I can't stand taking off and on my damn steps all the time. Can't wait to put em on.

Decade 03-02-2009 02:49 AM

Just picked up my set for $79 off ebay:D

HUMMERICH23 04-14-2009 04:59 PM

So from what i gather it is possible to install the steps on the stock rocker covers without having to use the supplied ones? Also if you are going to use your STOCK ROCKER COVERS, do they need to come off to install the steps or do the steps just slide on and bolt????

If the stock rocker covers do have to come off and you are just going to reuse them, do you need a whole new set of clips to remount them??

Rich

HumminNBoatin' 04-14-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomp
They come off fairly easy but do rub against the flare, inside the cut-out, when removing them. If you use your rock rails, you can eventually forget about taking them on/off again as the rails will eventually move upward permanently from then weight of the H2. I ended up having to extend my rails outward by 3/4" to prevent this from happening. At the same time I extended them, I also brought them back down to where they provide the factory spacing between the rail/flare. I also added some cross bracing on the rails to strengthen them up, so the weight of the H2 would no longer be a problem.

These are probably the best looking steps for an H2, IMHO. They do have some negatives to them though.

Tom,

I was looking at doing something similar to my rock sliders. I was thnking of getting 1 1/2" Square Tubing "Hitch Steel" and cutting and drilling pieces to act as spacers to extened my rock rails out from the body. Do you have an online photo album of your truck somewhere??? Man I bet I could get some great ideas for my truck by looking at yours.

Boss Hoss 04-14-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMMERICH23
So from what i gather it is possible to install the steps on the stock rocker covers without having to use the supplied ones? Also if you are going to use your STOCK ROCKER COVERS, do they need to come off to install the steps or do the steps just slide on and bolt????

If the stock rocker covers do have to come off and you are just going to reuse them, do you need a whole new set of clips to remount them??

Rich

You can use your stock rocker trim, however the stepping surface will be smaller and i think it looks much nicer with the new trim. You will have to take the stock trim off to get the steps on but your rock rail stays put. When you pull off the stock rocker trim, the clips will break(no way around it) so you will need new clips.