Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How to remove antenna? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2387)

cmeinck 10-17-2005 10:52 PM

I bought a chrome antenna base. It fits over the existing base. However, you have to remove the antenna? I tried a pair of pliers, but ended up chiping some paint. Is there an easy way to remove the antenna? I notice there is the antenna and a small black base. I'm figuring that I'm making this more difficult than it is?

Any suggestions?

cmeinck 10-17-2005 10:52 PM

I bought a chrome antenna base. It fits over the existing base. However, you have to remove the antenna? I tried a pair of pliers, but ended up chiping some paint. Is there an easy way to remove the antenna? I notice there is the antenna and a small black base. I'm figuring that I'm making this more difficult than it is?

Any suggestions?

Webb70 10-17-2005 11:51 PM

Put the top of the antenna through the hole in the stainless base and then slide it down the antenna then attach it to the black base. Probably with 3M tape.

cmeinck 10-18-2005 11:04 AM

It has the 3M tape on the back. The problem is that it won't slide all the way down. You have to remove the antenna. The antenna has the a small flat black base - I was instructed to use pliers and turn this?

h2co-pilot 10-18-2005 02:04 PM

Hold the ant down carefully but firmly, then with tweezers or the like, pluck gently in one fell swoop so it will be as quick and painless as possible.

Poor thing, what do you want to do that for?

cmeinck 10-18-2005 02:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hold the ant down carefully but firmly, then with tweezers or the like, pluck gently in one fell swoop so it will be as quick and painless as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm confused. I was told to "unscrew" the antenna using a pair of pliers. I was going to get a pair that would scraped the paint.

What's the correct way to remove the antenna and make it easy to put it back?

Thanks.

cmeinck 10-18-2005 07:45 PM

Figured it out. Go to Sear's and get little rubber covers for the pliers - $1.99. Turn the counter clockwise at the base where it's flattened. Pop off the plastic cover -- and then replace with your Chrome accessory.

Maybe a slight off center (that 3M tape means business), but it looks great. No one (other than my obsessive compulsive self) will notice.

h2co-pilot 10-19-2005 12:08 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmeinck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hold the ant down carefully but firmly, then with tweezers or the like, pluck gently in one fell swoop so it will be as quick and painless as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm confused. I was told to "unscrew" the antenna using a pair of pliers. I was going to get a pair that would scraped the paint.

What's the correct way to remove the antenna and make it easy to put it back?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was referring to the insect as a joke, I was under the influence- please disregard.

You will learn never to take technical advice from me eventually, I know nothing about that stuff.

cmeinck 10-19-2005 12:19 PM

Everything worked out for the best. A very, very, very small scratch -- but that's it. I'm not handy at all, but learning.