Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hood Cable Fix $4.00, 20 Min! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38177)

HMH2SUT 09-14-2009 02:08 AM

Hood Cable Fix $4.00, 20 Min!

I had another hood cable snap yesterday. I had this problem with my 03'. For those of you who don't know.. The rubber around the cable actually traps moisture and rots them quickly. If you have rubber around your cables still your better off removing it. i dont think the newer models have the rubber.

I have seen posts asking where to get new cables in the past, even some recently. So here is my $4.00 homedepot fix to all those who need it.

Materials needed : at least 24" of 1/8 galvanized wire cable
(2) 1/8" Ferrule & stop sets.

1. Remove broken cable or rusted cable from truck by removing pins top and bottom.

2. slide broken cable and stops out. If cable is just rusted first cut cable.

3. Slide new 1/8 cable thur one metal end as pictured.

4. Slide "stop" over cable end as pictured and crimp tightly. If you dont have good crimping plyers use a Hammer to Pinch the "stop" on tightly.

5. Slide other end of cable thru remaining metal end. Slide metal "stop" over cable. adjust end and stop to desired length and crimp tightly. Should be ruffly 10.25 inches long between "stops".

6. Trim excess cable from end of "stop". Now you are ready to reinstall into the truck.

The pics should explain...

Luv2Camp 09-14-2009 02:29 AM

Re: Hood Cable Fix $4.00, 20 Min!

GREAT idea....... Looking at your pic, you may want to put a wire tie around that parking lamp wire loom to keep it away from the hinge. Looks like the hood hinge is clamping down on that and a short may not be too far away!!!!

lasvegash2 09-14-2009 03:32 AM

what happens when it snaps, does your hood fall forward? btw good write up.

Easy Ed 09-14-2009 04:47 AM

In 2005 they replaced mine under warranty with a "revised" model. One broke and they replaced both figuring the other was going to do the same . The old one had a outer cover and when the hood was closed water would set in the "loop" the cable made and would rust it out un-seen till it popped opening the hood as stated before. The new ones I think are stainless (so I was told) and have lasted 53,000 miles and still look good. Part number appears to be 15146196 on the invoice.

Ed

HMH2SUT 09-14-2009 05:05 PM

luv2camp... i already have a short. Its the outside marker light. I Hate wiring! I have to fix that and reroute everything just been putting it off cuz I hate doing any electrical.

Quote:

what happens when it snaps, does your hood fall forward? btw good write up.

I have only had one at a time break, and as long as the other cable isn't rotten it is plenty strong enough to support the hood alone. I cant really say what would happen if both go, it will def move forward... maybe just some scratches or something might snap like the hinge...

H2illBilly 09-14-2009 11:08 PM

I did the same thing when I bought my H2, I didnt even bother checking prices just went straight to Tractor Supply. Good write up.

Luv2Camp 09-14-2009 11:26 PM

Onde you fix the wiring, just pull that extra wire loom through the clamp more to the left and place a wire tie on the left side of the clamp at the wire loom so the harness cannot slide over to the right again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMH2SUT
luv2camp... i already have a short. Its the outside marker light. I Hate wiring! I have to fix that and reroute everything just been putting it off cuz I hate doing any electrical.

I have only had one at a time break, and as long as the other cable isn't rotten it is plenty strong enough to support the hood alone. I cant really say what would happen if both go, it will def move forward... maybe just some scratches or something might snap like the hinge...

h2con 12-30-2010 12:58 AM

I just did my 03. One of them had broke and the other rusted but was still together. I put a tie down strap on the rusted one while I was working on them. I didn't want to take a chance on the rusted one failing and the hood falling foward. Thanks for the info!

accely 09-22-2011 07:18 PM

nice guide I'm going to use this when I fix mine this weekend.

FYI - when they are both broken, like my h2, the hood just rests against the front bumper/steel when you have it open. It doesn't seem like it's a major issue but for as cheap as this fix is, might as well get them back together! And it sure beats the 150$+ amount the mechanic was quoting for fixing them.