Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   drivers mirror loose (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18437)

mrmayhem 07-12-2006 06:17 AM

drivers mirror loose

Anyone had this problem.? My 03 h2 drivers rear view mirror is a little loose.. not bad.. but at highway speeds or bumps.. the bounces make it hard to even see out of. The passenger side is just fine.
When they are folded in automatically the drivers mirror is slow to fold in (compared to the pass side). Seems like there is a problem to me.. however my CO dealer says they won't replace under warranty until the motor breaks in the mirror. And I know what your thinking.

They also said they would have to replace both with 06 models to match.
I would think under warranty they would just fix the prob now...
Anyone else run into this issue??

dochummer 07-12-2006 06:56 AM

Re: drivers mirror loose

I actually noticed mine started vibrating at high speeds after the motor had given out and I fixed it. Just manually open and close and open and close them until they stop working. :) Then get the 06 mirrors...

mrmayhem 07-12-2006 09:42 PM

Funny, I asked the dealer about folding them manually... tech said they are made to fold in manually or automatically.

SUT NEIL 07-16-2006 10:23 PM

I had a similar problem with the pass side, side view mirror. I asked the dealer if there was an adjustment screw to tighten it up and the dealer replaced both sides with the 06 mirrors in order to match, and did so under warranty. Hope this helps and good luck!

SUT NEIL 07-16-2006 10:32 PM

It seems as though different dealer techs say and do different things concerning the same vehicles ... Go figure. As mentioned above my dealer replaced both mirrors under warranty but he said that the mirrors should "Not" be folded in manually and doing so may cause the mirrors to loosen. As rediculous as this seems, I'm not going to fold them manually and I guess I'll just have to hope and pray nobody else will do so to my truck while parked!

KenP 07-16-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUT NEIL
I had a similar problem with the pass side, side view mirror. I asked the dealer if there was an adjustment screw to tighten it up and the dealer replaced both sides with the 06 mirrors in order to match, and did so under warranty. Hope this helps and good luck!

There's a TSB on this. You'll need to search for it because I don't feel like looking.;)

It's standard practice to replace the mirrors with the '06's under warranty.

f5fstop 07-16-2006 10:59 PM

Subject: Info - New Outside Rearview Mirrors Available #06-08-64-007 - (02/09/2006)
Models: 2003-2005 HUMMER H2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Outside Rear View Mirror Availability
The outside rearview mirrors have been redesigned for the 2006 HUMMER H2 and are a much improved design over those used on prior models. The new mirrors have a different appearance than the original equipment 2003-2005 mirrors. Should you have the need to replace a mirror on a 2003-2005 H2, you should replace both mirrors as the new mirrors are now all chrome. The new design mirrors are P/N 15835056 (left) and P/N 15835057 (right).

Most customers should be satisfied with the appearance of the new mirrors. The original style mirrors may still available for a limited amount of time. DO NOT order the original style mirrors unless the customer has an objection to the new style mirrors. Be sure to indicate that the new mirrors are both more robust and will help to update the look of the vehicle. Once supplies of the original style mirrors are exhausted, they will not be available.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

OSRV Mirror - Left

OSRV Mirror - Right

Subject: Adm Msg - 2003-2005 HUMMER H2 Outside Rearview Mirror Head Vibrates #VSS20040161 - (06/18/2004) Models: 2003-2005 HUMMER H2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should a customer indicate that the outside rearview mirror head vibrates, this is a reminder to power fold the mirror prior to replacing it. If the mirror is manually folded, by a car wash attendant for instance, it will no longer be indexed to the detents. Power fold the mirror back and forth three times and this will resynchronize the mirror head to the detents.

A review of a number of mirrors returned to the Warranty Parts Center indicates that this would have corrected the condition. Also, take a moment to explain this procedure to the customer.

mrmayhem 07-18-2006 03:56 AM

Yeah.. the dealer (medved) said once the 'motor' goes.. they would replace under warranty, with the new 06 mirrors.. I really don't care if they use 06 mirrors or even replace with new older style ones. Even tried asking who would back me if I got into an accident due to not being able to see out of that mirror. Didn't work. Other than that issue.. my dealer has been great with service.

kacyk 07-20-2006 02:17 AM

Had the same issue on our Yellow '03 H2. They fixed it under warranty but I did make a stink that this was a safety issue as it made lane changes a hassle.

Perhaps they are being overly "cautious" these days as many Hummer owners are trying to get the newer model side mirrors????

mrmayhem 07-20-2006 04:57 AM

You know.. wondering who actually makes the decision on when to replace..? The tech in the service bay? or someone else?
My tech cycled the mirrors 3 or 4 times (open close) and he could easily see that the driver's side closed at half the speed and even rattled it around. His comment was "That's not right". But 5 minutes later.. he told me 'its expensive because both sides have to be replaced.. they won't do it unless the motor breaks".
I personally like the older mirrors... chrome. But it is a hassle when your driving 50-70 mph and the friggn thing is vibrating to the point of not making out vehicles.