Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   increasing hummers towing capacity (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284)

Don 12-12-2004 04:46 AM

what is the weak link that accounts for the hummers low towing capacity? Is it based on engine performance, brake size, tire ratings hitch type? What can be done to increase it's ability? I have supercharged so far (plenty of power now, and no more constant shifting going up hills) brakes will be next. I have towed aprox 6500 lbs with no problems, looking to tow aprox 8-8500 lbs

what is the weak link that accounts for the hummers low towing capacity? Is it based on engine performance, brake size, tire ratings hitch type? What can be done to increase it's ability? I have supercharged so far (plenty of power now, and no more constant shifting going up hills) brakes will be next. I have towed aprox 6500 lbs with no problems, looking to tow aprox 8-8500 lbs

Albie 12-12-2004 07:52 PM

what i've done is get a small girlfriend. Seems to help......LOL. Have you tried to keep it in 3rd or 2nd when climbing?

unaslob 12-13-2004 12:01 AM

i will assume that you are in love with your hummer and are unwilling to switch to a different truck... so I would buy another h2 and a good set of chains...

unaslob

sorry couldnt resist...

there are tons of ppl here with superchargers that probably have experimented with bigger then recommended tows. brakes shouldnt be an issue, i would sure hope you are using the trailer brakes. if slowing down is a problem, then that is a trailer issue. i would use the trailer brakes for the majority of the braking resonsibility.. they are cheaper to replace.

i cant imagine towing around 7000 with the h2... i have only towed about 3500 and it is not pretty. if I had to do alot of towing or tow more i would be looking at a supercharger.

unaslob

Don 12-13-2004 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not having any problem towing at this point, I can pull up a step incline, and maintain 60mph with no problem, and I don't think a couple thousnd more pounds is going to make that much differnce. what I am looking to find out was what is hummer's reasoning for the lower rating? I know in stock engine form I could not be doing what I am doing now without that constant down and up shifting hapening.So is that stock engines lack of power the reason, or does it have to do with other factors that I should correct to make it safer?
Thanks
here is a picture of the current setup, looking to increase boat size from 28' to 35'

TroysH2 12-13-2004 12:40 AM

I towed a 10,000 lbs. 24' Box trailer 2,800 miles and even drove with winds over 60 miles an hour (Hurricane Frances) with no problems. I also had electric trailer brakes, Reese equalization bar setup as well as a dual bar sway system. I also tow a 7,000 lbs.+ boat/trailer.
However, if I was towing on a regular basis I would not use the H2.

TroysH2 12-13-2004 12:42 AM

Nice paint on both rides.

unaslob 12-13-2004 01:10 AM

sweet rides... sweet paint job

your question has gotten more intersting.. looking at GM's website. the sierra 2500 HD can tow about 10000 lbs give or take, with a curb weight of 5100 lbs that means the engine can pull 15000 lbs. not bad

the yukon with same engine can tow about 9500 lbs with a curb weight of about 6000 lbs so the engine can pull about 15500 lbs. again not bad

then the h2... can tow 7000 lbs... but only weighs 6800 lbs...so the engine can pull in theory only 13800 lbs... what the hell???

it is not a gearing issue at least in comparison to the yukon both 4.10

ideas????

1) maybe GM feels that the overall aerodynamic 'footprint' creates around a 1000 pounds of drag at a decent speed... certainly not impossible

2) the yukon and sierra come with additional towing packages that have addtional transmission cooling and engine cooling stuff, could that make a difference

3) are the transmissions themselves different?

i personally think areodynamics play some role but certainly not the whole story.

ideas anyone..

unaslob

ROX 01-12-2005 02:49 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don:
I am not having any problem towing at this point, I can pull up a step incline, and maintain 60mph with no problem, and I don't think a couple thousnd more pounds is going to make that much differnce. what I am looking to find out was what is hummer's reasoning for the lower rating? I know in stock engine form I could not be doing what I am doing now without that constant down and up shifting hapening.So is that stock engines lack of power the reason, or does it have to do with other factors that I should correct to make it safer?
Thanks
here is a picture of the current setup, looking to increase boat size from 28' to 35' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW11

I pull my little trailers around with mine, 3500 to 5000 lbs. But if I pulled that I'd drive my hubbys diesel. Could you tell me about your supercharger? Is it working well? I pull my little trailer long distances, 1500 miles every 3 months, and I would consider a supercharger since using the big bad Ford isn't as cool as it used to be. I hate making the trip in 2nd and 3rd gear. What about using a programmer? I hate all the shifting too. I could use a few more cahones on the passes.

RI Hummer 01-12-2005 03:57 PM

It is the hitch that is the weak link. My GMC 2500 Sierra would tow my dump trailer even when it was loaded to 11,000 lbs but I had to reinforce the frame to hitch in order to accomplish this. The Hummer could be reinforced in the same way. You would need to add plates above and below the rear frame, open the bumper a little and install a vertical plate to accept a Combination ball and pintle hitch. Other truck towing ratings advertised could also be for a fifth wheel setup on a pickup and not an SUV.

Nice Hummer and boat, that is the best flame paint job. The Discovery Channel exposure is treating you well if you are upping the boat size!

RI

Big Z 01-12-2005 04:41 PM

There's a couple of things. 1). The weight of the H2, effecting the gross combined weight rating. 2). The short wheel base. 3). Expecting the Small blocked light duty drivetrain to do the work of a work truck. I've written a couple times here, be prepared, if you have an accident, causing injury or damage, if your Towing OVER WEIGHT! If your found to be over the limits, Insurance won't pay, you will be held liable for All damages and losses. Then it's the cops turn!

RIC-H0 01-13-2005 03:03 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don:
Thanks
here is a picture of the current setup, looking to increase boat size from 28' to 35' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice flames, and send me a pizza!
I've heard your flame pizza rocks!
Where's the 'copter?
Kudos on the biz!

Ric-H2

JMV1210 01-13-2005 03:47 AM

Yes I agree with Ric, thats a nice paint job, very impressed....

Doug 01-13-2005 02:39 PM

No towing problems here. I regulary tow a 27' tailgator loaded with 2 full size quads and plenty of gear. All combined about 8k lbs. 60-75 mph and exstremely stable. In fact much more stable than my friends F250 towing about the same rig with alot more towing capacity. I personally feel although only rated at 7000 lbs the H2 tows very well.

mbdougl 01-13-2005 03:17 PM

75% gain in horsepower might help towing.

http://procharger.com/gallery/showte...ket=4&idx=1144

Mr. I - Man 01-13-2005 04:37 PM

That intercooler is mounted way too low

JMV1210 01-19-2005 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a picture of the info of my box trailer, based on all I have read on the forum, I assume GVWR (7000 lb) means it’s over weight for the Hummer? What I don’t understand is how this trailer weighs almost as much as the H2…. That is if I am reading the label right….

Texas Red 01-19-2005 11:22 AM

I would think the GVWR of the trailer is the allowable weight of the trailer itself plus the load.

CLAYDOG 01-19-2005 11:50 AM

Another factor in "rated" towing ability is the tires load rating, the softer side walls on tires that are good for off roading, don't have the load capacity of tires that are desigined for pure highway use. The engineers that set the rated limits take into account the tires that are offered from the factory.