Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   BATTERY ISSUE SOLVED! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36846)

Ed G. 02-26-2009 03:08 AM

BATTERY ISSUE SOLVED!

1 Attachment(s)
Many here have had issues with the battery going dead. Sometimes it would happen over a period of a few days, sometimes overnight etc.. Hummer's idea was to replace the battery, sometimes more than once. Some have even replaced the factory battery with an Optima only to have it also go dead. I personally replaced two factory battery's, purchased a Red Top and it went dead then bought a Yellow Top and had it go dead also. Know way could I have gotten four bad batterys. I ran every test known ( yes I made sure the factory clamps were TIGHT!) and couldn't find the problem. A few days ago I replaced the factory cable terminal clamps with a set of high quality Monster Cable terminal clamps and solved the problem. With the factory clamps there was a constant voltage drain that would drop a fully charged battery from 12.6 volts to 11.0 volts in two days. Now it has stayed at 12.6 volts over the last three days.

wpage 02-26-2009 12:35 PM

Re: BATTERY ISSUE SOLVED!

Sounds great! My solution was to put in a big rv/marine deep cycle battery.
Please keep us posted if your new connectors did the trick...

finall 02-23-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed G.
...... With the factory clamps there was a constant voltage drain that would drop a fully charged battery from 12.6 volts to 11.0 volts in two days. Now it has stayed at 12.6 volts over the last three days.

How could that be possible? Please explain. I do not understand, because....

The old clamps do not ground out or do anything different than your new clamps. What you are saying is not possible, unless your old clamps/terminals were conducting electricity to ground somehow. ie. they were touching something, or there was a trail of corrosion or a conductive path somewhere. Nothing to do with the clamps themselves.

Am I missing something?

Luv2Camp 02-24-2012 12:14 AM

I have a feeling that your problem will be back BUT at least you will have nice looking battery cables!

If I were to take a stab at it, what ever was causing the parasitic drain was "reset" when you disconnected the battery. When you put the cables back on, it is just working again as it should. Give it time and that parasitic bug will turn on again!

I have had 3 batteries covered under warranty and there is NO WAY I had 3 defective batteries!

f5fstop 06-10-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finall

The old clamps do not ground out or do anything different than your new clamps. What you are saying is not possible, unless your old clamps/terminals were conducting electricity to ground somehow. ie. they were touching something, or there was a trail of corrosion or a conductive path somewhere. Nothing to do with the clamps themselves.

Am I missing something?

Nope. I have been scratching my nuts over the same thing and believe someone is either blowing smoke, wishful thinking, or just did something he didn't realize he did when he replaced the terminals.

Besides, he has not replied back since the original post.

It is actually very simple to diagnose a parasitic drain on the battery using a voltmeter (with a 1 ohm resistor), and pull fuses until the drain stops and that is your problem circuit.

f5fstop 06-10-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finall

Am I missing something?

Nope. I have been scratching my nuts over the same thing and believe someone is either blowing smoke, wishful thinking, or just did something he didn't realize he did when he replaced the terminals.

Besides, he has not replied back since the original post.

It is actually very simple to diagnose a parasitic drain on the battery using a voltmeter (with a 1 ohm resistor), and pull fuses until the drain stops and that is your problem circuit.