Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   33s or 35s? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12191)

danfink 08-28-2005 07:05 PM

This is a two part question, so bear with me.

Will 35" MT/Rs fit a stock H3, and if so, will they not perform well offroad because of the clearance?

I am debating on whether to get 33" or 35" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

danfink 08-28-2005 07:05 PM

This is a two part question, so bear with me.

Will 35" MT/Rs fit a stock H3, and if so, will they not perform well offroad because of the clearance?

I am debating on whether to get 33" or 35" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

timgco 08-28-2005 11:28 PM

A couple of owners have put 35's on. But they were not a true 35" diameter. IF you plan to off road, keep in mind that the 33's flex way up in there. I wasn't all the way stuffed this weekend, but it was close. Also, if you are using the stock 7.5" rim, the 12.50 width is not a recomendation. So you may want to check into this a little more before throwing some 35's on. I think it would look tough is hell though. MAke sure to stick with an 11.0 width on the stck rim. I think if you put the extended keys up front to get that 2" extra, a true 35" tire would fit with minimal rubbing.

Keep us updated.

danfink 08-28-2005 11:50 PM

Well, the size that I was looking at was 315/75/16 (I don't know if that's considered to be a true 35", but it does come out the be ~12.4 inches wide). I do plan on wheeling it and I don't want to run into any problems with the tires preventing a full flex on an obstacle.

timgco 08-29-2005 01:07 AM

FWIW-

I run 37's on my SUT and they rub a little bit.
The extra inch of ground clearance I got over the 35" stockers has helped in a couple of situations while wheelin it. plus it looks cool.

m To run 35's on the H3 would help about the same in comparison.

Now, the tire you are looking into is a great tire for off roading (just my opinion) and has an overall diameter of 34.8" x 12.3" wide. Now if you look on their web site it shows an aproved rim width of 8" to 10." So if it were me, I would not run that tire on the stock rim. ...just my 2 cents.

Also, this tire is great on the rough and loose stuff, but I'm sure it's like my BFG MT's, they suck on snow/ ice. They're not siped (little grooves in the tread blocks).

Even switching to a 285 GY MT/R or BFG MTR will change the appearance on your rig and give you better bite in the mud and rocks.

Good luck,
Tim.

danfink 08-29-2005 03:28 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, this tire is great on the rough and loose stuff, but I'm sure it's like my BFG MT's, they suck on snow/ ice. They're not siped (little grooves in the tread blocks). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here in Georgia, it very rarely snows.

I'll look into the sizes for the BFGs.

timgco 08-29-2005 02:57 PM

BF Goodrich"

Bf Goodrich A/T
LT285/75R16/D = 32.8" tall
Anything larger requires a wider rim

Bf Goodrich M/T
LT285/75R16/D = 33.1" tall
Again, anthing larger you will need a wider rim.

Their 315 size tire (35") is not quite 35" tall but as at 34.8". So really you would not be going a true 2" larger in overall diameter. So with the extended torsion key kit for the front and some different rims, I think you can wheel 35's without much rubbing. ou'll have to find a tire shop that will allow you to do some tire fitments and felx the truck with them mounted up. 4 Wheel Parts should be abale to help you out.

danfink 09-07-2005 01:40 AM

I ended up going with a 305/70/16 Goodyear MT/R. They look and fit great. I'll have pictures of this up soon.