Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Daytime Running Lts. to Nightime Running Lights? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2944)

Tedster 11-28-2002 03:35 AM

Question for you Electricians?

I want to be able to run my Daytime Running Lights at Night.

If I Run a Hot lead from my Headlights to my DRL's with a oneway diode, would I be able to run my DRL's with my headlight?

Would this allow my DRL's to function normally and work with the remote when I lock/unlock with keyless entry?

Thanks,

Ted

03 Yellow H2,Adventure Package,Luxury Package,Sunroof, Wrap-around Grill Guard w/Lts.,Tailight Guards,Roof Lights,Tubular Sidesteps,SMA Tire Rack,Carbon Fiber Dash, Custom Exhaust

Tedster 11-28-2002 03:35 AM

Question for you Electricians?

I want to be able to run my Daytime Running Lights at Night.

If I Run a Hot lead from my Headlights to my DRL's with a oneway diode, would I be able to run my DRL's with my headlight?

Would this allow my DRL's to function normally and work with the remote when I lock/unlock with keyless entry?

Thanks,

Ted

03 Yellow H2,Adventure Package,Luxury Package,Sunroof, Wrap-around Grill Guard w/Lts.,Tailight Guards,Roof Lights,Tubular Sidesteps,SMA Tire Rack,Carbon Fiber Dash, Custom Exhaust

JCJ 11-28-2002 12:22 PM

Would this option not be one "just" programmable through the vehicle's computer?
Has any one had experience with any possible programmable options wich can be set on/off by connecting the hand carried computer to the on-board computer?
The Chevy dealer here BTW is still waiting to have his computer upgraded with the H2 software, so he can program key-fob # 1, as this one never worked. Key fob # 2 works okay, but can't use the memory settings of chair/mirror etc. for fob # 1.
Is this H2 software hard to get or what?

NSXTC 12-05-2002 06:29 PM

Can't use a diode unless you can find one that'll handle the amount of current that the headlights draw. I don't have the fuse chart handy, but I think the headlights have a 20A fuse? I don't think there's a 20A diode. You'll have to go with the relay/toggle switch approach.

I'm going to try to do mine in the next couple of weeks. I'm doing research on the switch to see if I can order the OEM style that they use for the roof lights.

03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

buddy 12-06-2002 11:33 PM

I've been wanting to run the DRL's with the head lights or parking lights, or at least have that option.

I figured I'd splice into the parking lights, run that wire thru a switch, then to a common relay.
From the relay to each DRL. Of course that's after the relay is wired and grounded

This way when the switch is off the DRL's operate as normal. When the switch and parking lights are on, so are the DRL's.

With just the DLR's operating as normal, there shouldn't be any current feeding back to the parking lights.

What you think?

Buddy

NSXTC 12-07-2002 03:43 AM

Hey Buddy,

That's the right way to do it. I'm still trying to find the part # for the switch that looks like the TC2 and Tow switch. That way, the switch looks OEM and would be mounted in that blank spot below the tow switch.

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

JCJ 12-07-2002 09:36 AM

Hey, you guys make it sound so easy! But where/how do you pass the wiring through firewall/dash to the switch? Speaking of, let us know when you find the OEM looking one. I'll be looking 2.

Afreet 12-08-2002 02:50 AM

Ok I am a little confused, the dealer told me that the daytime running lights are still on at night, but like the DRL, only when the vehicle is in drive or reverse. Is this not really the case?

buddy 12-08-2002 12:44 PM

When gets dark the automatic headlamp system will switch from DRL's to the headlights...or if you manually turn the headlights on the DRL's defaults to off.
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Buddy

buddy 12-08-2002 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll try a see if this pic loads.

DRL's and HID headlights on together. The DRL's appear to create a lot of glare at night. The beam is almost like a flashlight on wide beam, only a lot brighter.

Buddy

NSXTC 12-09-2002 04:18 AM

Hey Buddy,

To get those DRLs to match the color of your HIDs,
try the blue/white tinted bulbs on the DRLs.

BTW, which HID kit did you use? Can you post a pic of the switch?

JCJ 12-09-2002 11:09 AM

Which color do the parking light wires have?
Only want to splice the right wire, not he high beam wire, like James Bond always does during a bomb countdown.

NSXTC 12-09-2002 03:49 PM

Use the hot wire (i.e., not black) from the 'parking light' (yellow lights not head lights). You won't have to worry about high beams.

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

buddy 12-09-2002 04:09 PM

are acturally amber. The stock bulbs did look pretty yellow though. I am going to try and find some whiter ones for the DRL's.

The HID's are from Breatheless Perf. Although they are single beam only(low beam), they do put a lot of light on the road, better than stock highs.

I spliced into the brown wire at the left turn signal(source wire to active the relay) and run it to terminal #86 of a common relay. Later, when I find the right switch, I'll run thru it and back to the relay.

The remote entry still operates the courtesy lights as stock. The headlamp switch actives the parking lamps and the DRL's together, turn off the parking lamps and you still have the DRL's, one more turn will turn the DRL's off all together. Installing thru a switch will allow you turn off the DRL's while the parking lamps are on.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Buddy

NSXTC 12-09-2002 04:23 PM

Buddy,

I actually like your switchless idea and activating the DRLs on the parking lights. This way, I don't have to mess with the troubles of running wires through the firewall, mounting the switch etc...

I'm going this route.

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

rpv 01-15-2003 10:33 AM

After all the rewiring, will the DRL's still function during the day?

And can you turn off the DRL's at night if you wanted just the headlights?

RPV AR Razorback
Grateful and Proud H2 Sunset Metallic Orange owner since July 2002

rpv 01-15-2003 10:38 AM

I am an electrical rookie as well...

I love the look of the DRL's on at night...

Would you be so kind as to jot down what things I need to get to do this to my H2 and the specific steps to take...in very laymans terms...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Electrical Dummie from AR...

RPV

NSXTC 01-15-2003 04:25 PM

Click on this link. Takes about 5 min to do...

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=687600449 1

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------

rpv 01-16-2003 03:20 AM

NSXTC,
thanks...got a 12 gauge wire, cheap super blue halogen/xenon headlight bulbs and will try to get DRL's on at night this weekend.
RPV

rpv 01-17-2003 10:15 AM

I also changed my bulbs to super cool blue for 19.99/pair and adjusted the beam lower... just as bright but less glare and I like the whitish/blue look!!!
I will do the same for the DRL...is that part # 3157???
Hope to hook up my dig camera soon and post pics.