Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Check engine light on - now what? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33606)

rockind308 04-07-2008 03:54 PM

Check engine light on - now what?

Need some help. I have a 2008 H3 3.7L H3 with 2K miles that I had a K&N air filter system and catback exhaust system installed. Now I have the check engine light on, the engine is sputtering and on star diagnostics says the engine is running too lean. Now what should I do? Are there other adjustments I need to have done. Don't want to burn up the engine. Thanks for any help.

HUMTECH 04-07-2008 08:48 PM

Re: Check engine light on - now what?

Make sure there are no leaks after the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body. This will cause it to run lean as more air than the maf sees is getting in the intake. Also make sure the MAF is not contaminated with the oil from the air filter, this will cause the sensor readings to be out of whack.

trailerpup 04-08-2008 03:04 AM

How long have you had the stuff on there... you didn't specify. Did it start doing this right away. If so, it sounds like a vacuum leak. Cat-back is not the problem.

richl 04-08-2008 03:30 AM

sputtering ....... humm sounds like a misfire. which in return can set lean codes........ really i need more info please.........

rockind308 04-08-2008 03:51 AM

Drove about 150 miles after installation of K&N and catback exhaust. Drove good one day, filled up tank and went home. Next day was hard to start and would run but rough. Does that help.

richl 04-08-2008 12:19 PM

unfortunately no.......

wpage 04-08-2008 04:51 PM

Check all your intake connections. It will take a few restarts to reset. Does sound like a fresh air leak to your sensor...
If it does not clear put stock back on. Return K&N for defect

trailerpup 04-09-2008 01:05 AM

Does disconnecting the battery for a while reset the 'puter or something??

rockind308 04-10-2008 01:18 AM

Turned out to be a loose intake hose - thanks for all the advice.

trailerpup 04-10-2008 02:59 AM

Great! I love it when it turns out to be something simple. One time, I forget what I was doing (muth mirrors, I think) and I buttoned everything up. Went to start the H3 and nothing. It was showing the passlock symbol. I messed with everything for a couple hours. Turns out I forgot to plug one of the connections back together behind the passenger kick panel. Ha! I was happy the rest of the day for no apparent reason. :notallthere:

RubHer Yellow Ducky 04-13-2008 05:46 PM

If I had that problem for a couple of hours a 44mag FMJ would solve the problem...

when i was 21 i had a problem with a 57 ford wagon with a 6 cyl...the 44 DID SOLVE THAT PROBLEM

lennyrebel 04-13-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
If I had that problem for a couple of hours a 44mag FMJ would solve the problem...

when i was 21 i had a problem with a 57 ford wagon with a 6 cyl...the 44 DID SOLVE THAT PROBLEM

Isn't that what they call throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

rockind308 04-13-2008 09:31 PM

Yea -don't know where the 44 mag response came from. Only cause more problems