Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Smoked Brisket (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34323)

KenP 06-03-2008 12:43 AM

Smoked Brisket

Anyone here smoked a brisket using a Weber Kettle?

I'll do a rub, maybe a butter injection, a bast and hickory smoke for the first couple of hours. I just want to know if anyone here's done it.

I don't know how I'll serve it, so any advice on how you did it would be cool.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 06-03-2008 02:11 AM

Re: Smoked Brisket

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenP
Anyone here smoked a brisket using a Weber Kettle?

I'll do a rub, maybe a butter injection (never heard of that), a baste and hickory smoke for the first couple of hours. I just want to know if anyone here's done it.

I don't know how I'll serve it, so any advice on how you did it would be cool.

Its been about 10 years since I last smoked briskets but here's how I use to do it...

I like them as even in thickness as i can find...do not remove the fat cap (3/8 to 1/2 inch is ideal)

needless to say the word is "low and slow" 180 to 200 degrees, cooking times will vary depending on the thickness and the temp, generally 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound...I like applewood but hickory works fine...keep away from the fire box as much as possible

Make cuts into the fat spaced every 1 to 2 inches and stuff with fresh garlic cloves (very important) I rub Spicy Brown Mustard all over the brisket both sides and then I rub in my DRY RUB (no salt). I like paprika, cayanne pepper, crushed cloves, dried lime peel, minced onion, cumin and a mild poblano pepper roasted first and then minced.

Had an OLD COOK who told me to make a mixture of water, vinegar, a little maple syrup and some KY Bourbon or KY Whiskey and mop on starting after 4 hours, once an hour to help keep it moist but found it gave it TOO MANY FLAVORS...

good luck, send me some...

mikejr 06-03-2008 02:35 AM

My neighbor and I have done briskets before. He usually will cook them in the oven for 5 or 6 hours on very low heat, then we'll throw them on the smoker for 5 or 6 hours. He uses a rub and also a mopp sauce while smoking. Remember, brisket is a tough slab on meat.

He uses the same protocol for smoking pork shoulders too.

I just smoked ribs last weekend and did a rub, then once the smoke bark formed on the outside, I spritzed with an apple juice/old grand dad mix to keep things moist. Turned out excellent!

Here is a great source of information

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/index.php

KenP 06-03-2008 03:20 AM

Thanks guys.

Michael, I will use a melted herb butter and inject into tough meats if I'm worried about them drying out or just want them extra juicy. Using it in turkey is awesome. If the fat cap isn't thick enough, or if there isn't one depending on the meat I'm cooking, I'll often cover with thick bacon.

Mike, I won't be using an oven at all. If it can be cooked in the kitchen, it can be cooked on a grill.:)

I'll be using a rub and then a mop sauce after the bark and I've decided I'll use hickory for the first few hours.

That web site is nice and will look through it some more. I've found a bunch of info here:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

I smoked baby backs last week and they were a bit salty. I screwed up the rub and used sea salt for the courseness, but the rub already had salt. To counter it I used some more brown sugar, but it didn't really work. On the positive side, the ribs were cooked perfectly according to the pros. It wasn't "falling off the bone", but just pulled off. I'll be doing them again soon.

I smoked a few chicken breasts tonight with mesquite, a Weber brand rub and a cheap spicy mop. Ummm, it's the first time I've liked the mesquite. I was about to give up on that wood.

Next time I do pork I want to use applewood. Apple and pork, two greats together.

CO Hummer 06-03-2008 03:25 AM

Notice how most of these recipies have whiskey? :D

KenP 06-03-2008 03:27 AM

Almost forgot, I said I'm using a Weber Kettle, not a smoker, but it works if you're patient.

I'm intersted in getting a real smoker, but I'm leary of the cheapo models. I've read that hot fires with wood, which is what should be used in them, can burn through the thin firebox. Mesquite is one that can cause it.

Anyone have advice on a smoker? If you have one of the less expensive, Home Depot types, how's it working? Maybe I should just get one of those to work with for now and see how it goes.

KenP 06-03-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO Hummer
Notice how most of these recipies have whiskey? :D

If not ON the meat, you can always put it in the drip tray and steam it in.:)

CO Hummer 06-03-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

If not ON the meat, you can always put it in the drip tray and steam it in.:)

Or.......my method. For each bite of BBQ, you wash it down with a sip of whiskey. :D

KenP 06-03-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO Hummer
Or.......my method. For each bite of BBQ, you wash it down with a sip of whiskey. :D

VA moonshine and pork butts.:clapping:

HummerHippy 06-03-2008 03:45 AM

Ken! I'll be right over!! Yum!

Big Dad 06-03-2008 03:45 AM

Try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

You'll see a recipe for Texas smoked brisket on the left side of the page.

Type brisket in the search and you'll find some really good recipes.

Happy hunting.

KenP 06-03-2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dad
Try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

You'll see a recipe for Texas smoked brisket on the left side of the page.

Type brisket in the search and you'll find some really good recipes.

Happy hunting.

Of course!

TXSUT 06-03-2008 01:20 PM

Inject a brisket = BLASPHEMY! Easy on the basting, too; basting a brisket is for pussy Yankees. ;)

When the meat comes off the grill, wrap in foil and let rest for 20-30 minutes. As for how to serve, unwrap the bitch, slice it, and eat it. :D

KenP 06-03-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXSUT
Inject a brisket = BLASPHEMY! Easy on the basting, too; basting a brisket is for pussy Yankees. ;)

When the meat comes off the grill, wrap in foil and let rest for 20-30 minutes. As for how to serve, unwrap the bitch, slice it, and eat it. :D

I was hoping you'd respond, being from TX and all. That's the way I'll do it. Thanks.

Big Dad 06-03-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Now that you mention it, I gotta agree.

There's a Texan BBQ joing about 15 minutes from my house...operated by a bunch of pussy Yankee's, no doubt.

The brisket is smoked and it doesn't look like it's been basted with anything.

The smoke ring penetrates the meat by about a quarter inch.

It's thin sliced and wrapped in foil when I buy it.

After thinking about it, I'll be having a double order of smoked brisket for lunch.

BigPoppa1411 06-03-2008 05:10 PM

Damn Ken....this thread has my mouth watering and making me think of getting my smoker cabinet prepped for the weekend!
:)

ROX 06-03-2008 05:18 PM

YUM!!

Trent got one of the Traeger smokers last summer. He uses it CONSTANTLY. He usually doesn't add any seasoning, but he does baste with a little apple juice on occasion and mostly on pork.

Slow cooking is the key imo.

TXSUT 06-03-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

I was hoping you'd respond, being from TX and all. That's the way I'll do it. Thanks.

Well, if you'll recall, I'm actually from south Louisiana (but been in TX since '89), so when you want to boil some crawfish or deep fry a turkey, give me a shout. ;) But I do enjoy smoking my own briskets.

In addition to smoking, which I have indeed done on a standard Weber (indirect heat), I have another method for cooking brisket that is always a hit. It entails "stuffing" the brisket with chopped jalapenos, chopped yellow onion, chopped shallots, and garlic, and seasoned with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. BUT, you'll take issue with the fact that it gets cooked for about 3 hours in the oven, and the 4th hour on the grill is only for char-broiling and getting a little smokey taste to it. The drippings collected in the oven pan make for one hell of a great stock for gravy to be served over white rice and black-eyed peas.

KenP 06-03-2008 08:43 PM

No oven! No oven!

After Que'ing it to 160* I'm going to pull it off, foil it and put it in a cooler for an hour before slicing it. That seems to be the method recommended by many on one of the smoker forums.

Rox, my first Father's Day is coming up and I told CP I wanted either a big tool box or a smoker. Well, she's already gotten me Duquane natural gas grill and the Weber Performer, and she's not too hip on the tool box thing, so maybe I'll get a gift card.

How does Trent like his Traeger? I assume he got the offset box, but which model did he get?

Big Dad 06-03-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

I have another method for cooking brisket that is always a hit. It entails "stuffing" the brisket with chopped jalapenos, chopped yellow onion, chopped shallots, and garlic, and seasoned with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. BUT, you'll take issue with the fact that it gets cooked for about 3 hours in the oven, and the 4th hour on the grill is only for char-broiling and getting a little smokey taste to it. The drippings collected in the oven pan make for one hell of a great stock for gravy to be served over white rice and black-eyed peas.

I assume it's on a rack, I'm down with trying this one. Will do this weekend. What oven temp and quantity of ingredients for the stuffing? Are there any other particulars I need to know about?