Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Using oil between changes (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19963)

2xtreme 08-29-2006 12:59 AM

Using oil between changes

Has anyone else here noticed there H3 using oil between oil changes? I am using mobil1 synthetic and going on a 6000 mi schedule. At about 600 mi left before changing it again I checked the level on the dipstick and it was low I had to add 3 qt. :eek: This isn't normal, I haven't seen one drop of oil anywhere I park either. The truck has 11400 mi on it.

ChevyHighPerformance 08-29-2006 01:11 AM

Re: Using oil between changes

I just switched to Mobile 1 (about 200 miles ago). I'll keep an eye on it.

fourfourto 08-29-2006 03:13 AM

I switched to mobile 1 at 12,000 miles,I just changed it at 18,000 checked level 1 week before oil change it was at full.:D 3 qt's down is alot:eek:

DDWH 08-29-2006 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xtreme
Has anyone else here noticed there H3 using oil between oil changes? I am using mobil1 synthetic and going on a 6000 mi schedule. At about 600 mi left before changing it again I checked the level on the dipstick and it was low I had to add 3 qt. :eek: This isn't normal, I haven't seen one drop of oil anywhere I park either. The truck has 11400 mi on it.

I think yopu should get your rig into the dealer! That seems like alot to be low...unless it was misfilled?!?!?!?!

H3slate 08-29-2006 05:37 AM

I have not had that issue. I just switched to Royal Purple. 3 quarts is a lot to lose, it should take 1 qt to go from E to F on the dipstick. Any oil residue around the oil pan drain bolt or oil filter? Does your rig smell like burnt oil after driving for awhile? All worth checking out.

ziemann 08-29-2006 05:38 AM

I am running Mobil 1 EP w/ Mobil 1 oil filters. 7500 miles so far on this OCI and not a drop used. Completely full. Something is really wrong if you are burning that much oil...

f5fstop 08-29-2006 10:51 AM

Take it to the dealer and have them do an oil use check. They will fill up the engine, seal it, and have you check it every few hundred miles. Then after a set period they will determine the oil usage.
Every engine uses oil, it has to, if not the rings would be sliding on dry cylinder walls and that is not good. However, oil usage is low, and 3 qts in 5500 miles is excessive.

wpage 08-29-2006 05:27 PM

3 Quarts:crying: Monitor carefully something wrong!

usetosellhummer 08-29-2006 05:48 PM

Just switched to mobile 1. thinking maybe it wasn't filled to beguin with?

2xtreme 08-30-2006 01:03 AM

I checked it a month or so ago and it was full. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow, and have it checked out. :confused:

Steve - SanJose 08-30-2006 01:28 AM

No measurable usage (via dipstick) between changes using regular oil.

S.

fourfourto 08-31-2006 01:00 AM

Just wondering :confused: Wouldnt(or shouldnt) the oil light go on at 2 or 3 quarts low.:confused:

2xtreme 08-31-2006 11:26 AM

That's what brought it to my attention. When I took a few sharp turns I heard a ding and the light illuminated for a second then went out.

sltbluh3 08-31-2006 11:19 PM

I swicthed to Castrol synthetic @10,500 sitting at 18,500 now, dipstick still shows full and the last email from onstar showed 63% oil life left. Something is not right with the engine!!!!

2xtreme 09-01-2006 01:17 AM

Yeah I called the dealer today, they want me to put some miles on it this weekend and monitor the oil. Tuesday they want me to bring it in to look at it.

ChevyHighPerformance 09-01-2006 01:51 AM

In about 1998 during the early LS1 days, GM had a piston ring fluttering issue that caused much higher than normal oil consumption. Many people went to the dealer after loosing a quart or more in 3000 miles and they were told that this amount of oil loss was not excessive. Be persistent with the dealer - hold your ground.

2xtreme 09-02-2006 03:04 PM

Would that have something to do with the clattering sound I get when backing out of the accelerator?

ChevyHighPerformance 09-02-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xtreme
Would that have something to do with the clattering sound I get when backing out of the accelerator?

I don't know. LS1's had some piston slap issues and the I5 has a special table for piston slap when cold. Do you hear the noise when cold?

Do you notice and blueish smoke coming from the exhaust? I'm wondering if you have a valve guide issue that is making some noise and letting oil get burnt in the combusion.

F5 is a good one to ask about this.

2xtreme 09-03-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyHighPerformance
I don't know. LS1's had some piston slap issues and the I5 has a special table for piston slap when cold. Do you hear the noise when cold?

Do you notice and blueish smoke coming from the exhaust? I'm wondering if you have a valve guide issue that is making some noise and letting oil get burnt in the combusion.

F5 is a good one to ask about this.

It generally does it when I am doing 30 mph or higher, and is usually warm. As for blueish smoke I haven't noticed any smoke.

f5fstop 09-03-2006 11:57 PM

Have the dealer run an oil usage test on the vehicle. They top off the oil, seal the stick and the drain plug and have you come back at different dates to have it checked.
If an engine has piston slap, it goes away when the engine warms and parts start to expand.