Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   adding light switches to the overhead console (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42413)

nasty745 03-15-2012 04:40 AM

adding light switches to the overhead console

I wanted to add some light switches to my overhead console on my sut, does anybody have pics and ideas on how to do it ? and removing the console to do the mods ? All thought on my projects would help. Thanks Tom

guruerror 03-15-2012 02:15 PM

Re: adding light switches to the overhead console

I don't have any pics of the overhead handy, but I currently have mine out to fab in a clinometer...it's a piece of cake to take out; two screws, pull the front down a bit and slide toward the windshield (it's got two hooks toward the rear that hook above the headliner). The A-pillar trim comes off simply by removing the grab handles.

I found some very clean little toggle switches at Radio Shack...

SUT-UP 03-15-2012 03:03 PM

Those are nice guru. Would have saved alot of space there when I mounted my square toggle.

Humvee21 03-15-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guruerror
I don't have any pics of the overhead handy, but I currently have mine out to fab in a clinometer...it's a piece of cake to take out; two screws, pull the front down a bit and slide toward the windshield (it's got two hooks toward the rear that hook above the headliner). The A-pillar trim comes off simply by removing the grab handles.

I found some very clean little toggle switches at Radio Shack...

Is that Line-X'd interior?

guruerror 03-15-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humvee21
Is that Line-X'd interior?

Yes and no....while the majority of my interior - all trim from the front seats back - is Line-Xed, I had to use Duplicolor spray-on bedliner for the dash pieces.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ghlight=line-x

I scored some extra dash components from a guy a while back and had some of them test sprayed with Line-X but it ended up making them too thick to properly fit back together; not to mention that the AC vents wouldn't fit back in the openings. Instead I did the entire dash with the Duplicolor bedliner product and have been very happy with the results...it gave me a consistent, durable finish that matched the texture of the Line-Xed rear pieces.

SUT-UP 03-28-2012 06:38 AM

Guru, how's the clinometer coming?

guruerror 03-28-2012 02:07 PM

It came out pretty good...a little fiberglass fabrication, a little bedliner and ta-da:

I still may 'adjust' it to have pics of little H2s instead of the Jeep...or then again, I may just leave well enough alone; it works and it's installed.

SUT-UP 03-28-2012 04:44 PM

The first thing in my head when I saw the pictures was "small H2 truck decal"

They look good though. The molding looks great. I thought about recreating the entire piece to be a few inches taller to accommodate a CB radio, but the weight and wiring was going to be all off. I like the clinometers, plus you have great space on the sides of it for auxiliary switches if your headlight switch panel runs out of room.

Bravo. :beerchug:

SUT-UP 03-28-2012 04:48 PM

No luck ever getting a USB one huh?

guruerror 03-28-2012 04:53 PM

Thanks for the compliment...I'm pretty pleased with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUT-UP
No luck ever getting a USB one huh?

There's an app for the iPhone/iPod that I thought about using...but then I'd have to wire up a charge cable, jailbreak the phone/pod to work the way I want, blah blah blah.

I told myself, "Self, sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution." LOL. So $20 in Amazon Reward Points and a couple hours of labor later the simple solution became a reality.

SUT-UP 03-28-2012 05:34 PM

Simple, I feel, is a tough concept for us Hummer drivers to comprehend.

carloquaglia 06-11-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guruerror
It came out pretty good...a little fiberglass fabrication, a little bedliner and ta-da:

I still may 'adjust' it to have pics of little H2s instead of the Jeep...or then again, I may just leave well enough alone; it works and it's installed.

great job, is very good, congratulations:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

LoJac963 06-11-2013 11:25 AM

wow that looks great with the fiberglass and bedliner!

Here's a pic of mine if your curious.

I have 2 more relay harnesses with those switches. I think instead of splitting up the front roof lights I'm going to wire them to one switch to free up one of the switches. Then add another for 4 switches total.

Being:

1-front roof rack lights
2-rear roof rack lights
3-foglight bar
4-cowel lights (thinking about pulling the trigger on ordering those)

Basically the wiring runs up the driver side A-pillar from the fuse panel/engine compartment through the front of the headliner to the inside of the trim piece. It's clean and looks good.

OTRTTW switches are hands down awesome but that'd require cutting the plastic and I don't want to go that route. These just stick on.