Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Repair of the A Pillar Molding to stop the common ?rattle/wind noise? complaint. (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16756)

VegasGuy 05-29-2011 09:13 PM

Re: Repair of the A Pillar Molding to stop the common ?rattle/wind noise? complaint.

Easy Ed, just a quick thank you for a well detailed post. Your pics made the job very easy. My H2 pillar molding did not start vibrating until the last couple of trips. I left the old double sided tape on, cleaned it with denatured alcohol and then ran a quarter inch bead of silicone on top of the old tape. Easy, peasy.

Easy Ed 05-30-2011 12:04 AM

Re: Repair of the A Pillar Molding to stop the common ?rattle/wind noise? complaint.

:jump: :beerchug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasGuy
Easy Ed, just a quick thank you for a well detailed post. Your pics made the job very easy. My H2 pillar molding did not start vibrating until the last couple of trips. I left the old double sided tape on, cleaned it with denatured alcohol and then ran a quarter inch bead of silicone on top of the old tape. Easy, peasy.

pdxrealtor 03-12-2012 02:08 AM

Thanks.. ran black RTV after cleaning everything up. Hope this works!

ricomondo 12-07-2012 12:15 AM

Just found this thread after my new to me SUT starting having the wind noise issue. The truck has only 18K miles (2005), but I guess due to the age of the truck, it was overdue.

This DIY fix took me about an hour for both sides, and honestly the longest part was removing the old adhesive strip from the trim pieces.

The only thing I can maybe add is be sure to buy the OUTDOOR rated double sided tape. I used Scotch tape 1 inch wide, and I also noticed that the 3m/Scotch outdoor rated tape will have the red backing affixed to it.

After the install, I used some clamps on the trim & frame to make sure it stuck, for about 45mins while it sat in the garage.

Two days later, I was out on the highway at 80-85 MPH and NO wind noise!!!!

Thank you for this excellent write up!!!!

Easy Ed 12-07-2012 01:14 AM

Congrats on the fix :clapping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricomondo
Just found this thread after my new to me SUT starting having the wind noise issue. The truck has only 18K miles (2005), but I guess due to the age of the truck, it was overdue.

This DIY fix took me about an hour for both sides, and honestly the longest part was removing the old adhesive strip from the trim pieces.

The only thing I can maybe add is be sure to buy the OUTDOOR rated double sided tape. I used Scotch tape 1 inch wide, and I also noticed that the 3m/Scotch outdoor rated tape will have the red backing affixed to it.

After the install, I used some clamps on the trim & frame to make sure it stuck, for about 45mins while it sat in the garage.

Two days later, I was out on the highway at 80-85 MPH and NO wind noise!!!!

Thank you for this excellent write up!!!!