Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clunk noise on the front end (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3456)

JMVH2 03-30-2006 10:04 PM

About 2 weeks ago I started to heard a clunk noise on the front end of my truck, it only makes it when it has been parked for a while; when start moving forward and you turn the wheel you hear a "CLUNK" noise from the front end then you can drive it all day and will not make it until it has been parked for a while. I took it to the dealer 3 days ago (2.5 hours away) spent all day there and they told me that the front skid plate was loose and that was the problem! well the noise came back the next day, I called them and as usual they told me to bring it back. Do any of you have any idea what could be? May be is something I can check my self instead of taking it all day there for them to do nothing! Thanks

shhrtbs 03-30-2006 11:22 PM

just take the skidplate off for a few days and see if it's still there in the mornings.

Kevin B 03-30-2006 11:51 PM

I noticed you have an 03. Did you ever get the front d-shaft upgrade done??

Racer-X 03-31-2006 01:46 AM

I got the same advice from Phil a week or two ago. It ended up being the cross members bolts loose. You really gotta bear down on them to get them tight enough.

JMVH2 03-31-2006 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the advices:

PhilD: I will ask them (The dealer) to check all that

Kevin: No I have not what they need to upgrade? and why? is there a recall or something that I'm not aware?

Kevin B 03-31-2006 03:38 PM

It seems to me on the early run 03 h2's the front d-shaft was a litle short causing them to bind up a little on the slip yolk causing a clunk . Just a thought.

PARAGON 03-31-2006 04:32 PM

Also, on early '03s there was a TSB for the inner fender panel "popping"

I had that. It was a clunk I felt in my feet on the floorboard and it was as though someone hit the bottom of the seat pan with a hammer.

It started slow, but I went wheeling one time and it would do it over any little flex.

Kevin B 03-31-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

About 2 weeks ago I started to heard a clunk noise on the front end of my truck,

Quote:

If you don't have a driveline clunk, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry, just trying to help . Someone might not be able to tell the difference.

PARAGON 03-31-2006 07:21 PM

BTW, what else is the truck doing when you hear this. Were you moving in a turn or just when you first turned the wheel?

Ever hear when you go at an angle across a dip?

JMVH2 04-01-2006 02:40 PM

Thanks one more

Paragon and philD it does it when you do the fist turn of the wheel not again all day!

I went under last night and found a missing bolt on the skid plate (Front right side) I tight the 8 remaining ones and no more noise so far but the one missing apparently has damage the threads and they do not tight it any more, I called the dealer since they just "Tight" them they will re-thread it, will See

Kevin, thanks I will ask the dealer if mine (late '03 production June '03) need the new yoke.

Thanks to all I will post next week with the end result of all these clunks.