Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Factory Rock rails (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12626)

timgco 12-07-2005 12:29 AM

Ok, so my sig other has rock rails on her H3. I put them on a couple of months ago when we first got the truck. The problem was that almost every bolt was cross-threading and I had to get 4 wheel parts finish the job. they had to re-thread almost all of them.

So, now I put them on my "3" and thought I'd share a couple of tips.

The first thing I did was take out the harware, gunscrubber , and WD 40.

Step one: I took the gunscrubber and cleaned the threads of all road debris. Sand and dirt was in the threads. Make sure you don't get your paint!

Step two: I shot all the threads with the WD 40.

Step Three: Next I took a bolt and pre-threaded every single hole. The threads were rough on two of them. I think that would have caused some issues.

Step 4: Use the foam blocks that the rock rails were packed in for support of the rock rails. Since I was doing this by myself, I used these to get the rock rails close to the frame and wekd nuts. It made things much easier and was almost the perfect height.

Step 5: I started all of the top holes first and got them all half way in before startng the lowers. A couple of the holes weren't lined up perfectly so tightening all of the top ones down all the way would have made this harder.

Step 6: Crank all 8 bolts down.

Step 7: time to do the DR SD. Make sure not pinch the parking brake cables. I started up by those first.

It only took about 40 minutes with hand tools. I did not even need to use an air ratchet or 4 wheel parts this time.

This is not a tough mod at all. But it was very frustrating the first one I did.

FWIW,
Tim.

timgco 12-07-2005 12:29 AM

Ok, so my sig other has rock rails on her H3. I put them on a couple of months ago when we first got the truck. The problem was that almost every bolt was cross-threading and I had to get 4 wheel parts finish the job. they had to re-thread almost all of them.

So, now I put them on my "3" and thought I'd share a couple of tips.

The first thing I did was take out the harware, gunscrubber , and WD 40.

Step one: I took the gunscrubber and cleaned the threads of all road debris. Sand and dirt was in the threads. Make sure you don't get your paint!

Step two: I shot all the threads with the WD 40.

Step Three: Next I took a bolt and pre-threaded every single hole. The threads were rough on two of them. I think that would have caused some issues.

Step 4: Use the foam blocks that the rock rails were packed in for support of the rock rails. Since I was doing this by myself, I used these to get the rock rails close to the frame and wekd nuts. It made things much easier and was almost the perfect height.

Step 5: I started all of the top holes first and got them all half way in before startng the lowers. A couple of the holes weren't lined up perfectly so tightening all of the top ones down all the way would have made this harder.

Step 6: Crank all 8 bolts down.

Step 7: time to do the DR SD. Make sure not pinch the parking brake cables. I started up by those first.

It only took about 40 minutes with hand tools. I did not even need to use an air ratchet or 4 wheel parts this time.

This is not a tough mod at all. But it was very frustrating the first one I did.

FWIW,
Tim.

Sewie 12-07-2005 01:11 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

HummBebe 12-07-2005 01:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sewie:
Thanks for the tips. I'm picking mine up tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PICS PICS PICS PICS

hmrlvr 12-07-2005 01:41 AM

I put them on on a Friday and beat on them on Saturday. Well worth the price. My install was quick with 2 people and an air rachet.

Sewie 12-07-2005 02:03 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummBebe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sewie:

PICS PICS PICS PICS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO PICS FOR YOU!!!!!

timgco 12-07-2005 02:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummBebe:

PICS PICS PICS PICS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO PICS FOR YOU!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2

HummBebe 12-07-2005 03:11 AM

timgco 12-07-2005 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, but just one.

partsguy 12-08-2005 02:53 PM

You have a bulb out.Third strand from the down spout.

timgco 12-08-2005 03:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
You have a bulb out.Third strand from the down spout. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DAMN IT! I hate those lights!

Sewie 12-08-2005 03:55 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
You have a bulb out.Third strand from the down spout. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO!!

f5fstop 12-09-2005 12:47 AM

Hell, I thought they were icicles.