Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   MAJOR Problems - Need Help Desperately (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24417)

Brazi 02-03-2007 02:38 PM

MAJOR Problems - Need Help Desperately

Hello,

This is an emergency!!

I have imported a Hummer H3 2006 to Brazil, South America. The VIN is 5GTDN136968173835. It has only 2500 miles now.
There are no dealerships or authorized assistance here and, unfortunately, I am experiencing MAJOR problems with my automobile. The car worked fine for about 6 months but now it is stalling after driving for 5-10 minutes. After that it takes about 3 minutes to start again. It is virtually unusable.

The messages in the display are:
Stab Sys Traction Failed Reduced Power

I have found a shop that has a scanner and the engineer there tells me got the following error messages with it:

ECM P0601 - Control Module ROM
EBCM Malfunction ? C0240 - ABS Traction Control

I don?t even know how to start going about this and I will REALLY appreciate any help or input. I love the car and I don?t know what to do.

Sincerely

Marlus Pasinato
mp@dantai.com.br
msn marlus_pasinato@hotmail.com
+55 41 99739207
+55 41 3023.9207
+55 42 3014.4200
5GTDN136968173835

f5fstop 02-03-2007 03:41 PM

Re: MAJOR Problems - Need Help Desperately

P0601 is not a good code. If the vehicle is still running, it means the internal ROM chip is losing its integrity. The fix is to reprogram and see if that fixes the problem, if not, the PCM has to be replaced and the new on programmed. The only way to program the PCM is via a Tech 2 and the GM service programming system. You might be able to purchase an aftermarket PCM; not sure on this so someone else may chime in.

C0240 means the EBCM will not allow traction control/stability control since it cannot receive a confirmation from the PCM, via the class 2 serial data link, that the PCM is actively reducing (controlling) engine torque. This code may be a by-product of the P0601, due to the integrity of the ROM, and the PCM's calibration.

If there are any GM dealers in the area, they might have the equipment to program the module to see if it requires replacement. I believe SPS is used down there, and if so, the dealer might have access to all GM programs/calibrations via GM's TIS2WEB website. Again, not sure.

RubHer Yellow Ducky 02-03-2007 03:53 PM

Well Marlus, you got the best help thats available...

GOOD LUCK

RYD

K9sH3 02-03-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
Well Marlus, you got the best help thats available...

GOOD LUCK

RYD

:iagree: x2

Now print out all he said and take it to a GM service provider.

Good luck!

marin8703 02-03-2007 06:11 PM

I beleive you can get a new pcm from pcmforless.com. http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=40
good luck with the problem, hope you take care of it fast.

whaaaaT 02-03-2007 07:03 PM

just go to any gm dealer. I know theres cadillac dealers in brazil.

Brazi 02-03-2007 07:27 PM

Thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate it.

f5fstop iformation was great.

I will try the GM dealers here. One of the problems I have is that I don't know the first thing about car mechanics/electronics. Another problem is that the motor used in the H3 is not used in any car in Brazil! Does that make a difference?

I will keep you guys posted and if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Marlus

lennyrebel 02-03-2007 09:09 PM

For a quick fix for stab sys failure go under hood to fuse block and remove fuse labeled for that system, I know when My ABS failed on Bronco I removed fuse and it reverted to normal system. I think most vehicles are programmed that way. Your fuel contains 50% ethanol, I wonder if thats a problem? Regards The Rebel

blindzebra 02-03-2007 10:22 PM

if your fuel in brazil does contain 50% ethanol that will affect your engine. It's not made to nadle that.

Brazi 02-03-2007 10:27 PM

Our gasoline has 20% ethanol. We have a number of imported cars that do not seem to be affected by it.

BlueHUMMERH2 02-03-2007 11:11 PM

10% is the upward limit of Ethanol in the US I think as normal fuel. Maaaaybe 15%. But I'm assuming the engine would run ok for a while on a blend like that. It really would only (maybe) at some point start to eat up the fuel lines and things like that. But not this soon.

Best of luck Brazi. As others have said, Fstop is the guy to go to for H3 related questions. I hope you can find a dealer nearby. This site might help:

http://www.chevrolet.com.br/

lennyrebel 02-04-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brazi
Our gasoline has 20% ethanol. We have a number of imported cars that do not seem to be affected by it.

Your right "almost"---by law in Brazil never less than 20% never more than 25% alcohol from sugarcane . In Canada when they started putting about 5% ethanol we had all kinds of problems with anything neoprene, must have been more like rubber especially Chrysler but GM as well and I remember they protested to government. It would happen within a month of vehicle in service,more a function of Time than mileage. If that is case it will be a problem to sort it out. The Rebel

f5fstop 02-04-2007 02:06 PM

Ethanol will affect the seals and the hard parts (cylilnder head valve guides), but the codes you outputted had nothing to do with ethanol.
Even though a dealer does not have the same engine, for this problem, which requires a reprogram and a replacement, they should have the information on their calibration website TIS2WEB. If they have this, they should have access to all GM information, since I believe it is sent as one package to all the world.
marin8703 mentioned pcmforless, that might be the lease expensive way to go, unless you can get a dealer to cover it under the warranty.

lennyrebel 02-04-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5fstop
Ethanol will affect the seals and the hard parts (cylilnder head valve guides), but the codes you outputted had nothing to do with ethanol.
Even though a dealer does not have the same engine, for this problem, which requires a reprogram and a replacement, they should have the information on their calibration website TIS2WEB. If they have this, they should have access to all GM information, since I believe it is sent as one package to all the world.
marin8703 mentioned pcmforless, that might be the lease expensive way to go, unless you can get a dealer to cover it under the warranty.

I don't know if I mentioned I work for G M but anyways it's been my experience that the last code fault shown is not always what originated problem. Sometimes its a couple things back which finally resulted in error code. Regards The Rebel:(

f5fstop 02-05-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennyrebel
I don't know if I mentioned I work for G M but anyways it's been my experience that the last code fault shown is not always what originated problem. Sometimes its a couple things back which finally resulted in error code. Regards The Rebel:(

As for which codes to diagnose, technically, you start with verifying the concern, then performing diagnostic system checks. Then, you run the computer for codes. However, since this person is quite a distance away, and he has already run the codes, and in all regard, verified the concern, the steps prior to checking codes has been performed.

When diagnosing using codes, you are correct it is not always the first code, but knowledge of how the systems interact helps. On the H3, the BCM is the main controller, after that it falls to the PCM, the EBCM, which would be the cause of the C0240 code is very low on the pecking order of the controller to diagnose first. (In the case of some codes, the code diagnosing chart will usually list other codes that could be possible, and from there which code to diagnose.)

Therefore, looking at the codes, since the PCM is outputting a code that states it is having problems with the memory, thus losing its program, does it not make logical sense to think that the EBCM has NOT received a torque control signal from the PCM?
To be honest, to diagnose a problem such as this via the internet is next to impossible; can't verify pinouts, connector stability, etc. However, to help someone where the nearest Hummer dealer is a few thousand miles away, is all we can hope to do.
Maybe I'm wrong to assume that anything stated on this is board is not scripture, but an educated guess from someone who has worked in engineering for GM, the past 16 years.
Since you are a GM employee, then here is a trivia for you. Why is P0601 in the PCM controller? Why was it required?

whaaaaT 02-05-2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brazi
Thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate it.

f5fstop iformation was great.

I will try the GM dealers here. One of the problems I have is that I don't know the first thing about car mechanics/electronics. Another problem is that the motor used in the H3 is not used in any car in Brazil! Does that make a difference?

I will keep you guys posted and if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Marlus

They sell chevy colorado's in brazil. Its the same engine. Go to them if anything. I've seen em there.

Brazi 02-05-2007 06:50 PM

Re: MAJOR Problems - Need Help Desperately - Monday Update

Status This Monday

So ?

I have to talked to GM in Brazil. They will not support/give any assistance to this car in Brazil. They don?t have anyone trained and their dealers do not have access to GM?s international support area.

I have sent emails message to the original dealer (Landers). No replies, so far.

I have contacted (email) pcmforless.com and asked them about sending a PCM here.

The motor used in the H3 is not used in any Brazilian or commonly imported car here.

I have a few questions, if you can help me:

1. How large is the PCM and approximately how much does it weigh?
2. Would you reprogram this PCM differently or would you keep the original standard data?
3. Can an experienced mechanic/engineer can switch the PCM without many problems?
4. Is there anything else I should do?

Finally the big question:

Why did this happen to me? I know it sounds depressing but I got the impression, form surfing the net and in this forum, that this is not a common problem. I don?t want it to happen again!

Thanks,

Marlus / Brazi

whaaaaT 02-05-2007 07:30 PM

Send it back to the us. Your probly gonna have more problems down the road and your not gonna be able to get them fixed. I've had a few. Front differential, overheating, windnoise from piller, cracked wheel well, radio buttons turning white, sunroof would pop back open, loud noise from the back brakes that they refuse to do anything about, battery died, rust on my brush guards the second day i had it, I think the only thing i havent had was the heads being replaced. But hey it can happen in a few miles. I would never have bought this car if i couldnt get it serviced. Sell it, bring it back, get rid of it. Cause you'll be going threw the same thing some other time down the road in its lifetime. Someday your gonna have another problem. My truck only has 13,000 miles on it. These definatley dont have the reliability of a nissan. I supose its the price you pay for a super bad ass cool biotch magnet truck that runs **** over.

whaaaaT 02-05-2007 07:31 PM

oh and i havent had the PCM problems.

Planohummer 02-05-2007 07:41 PM

Check your battery before you do anything. Battery on it's way out will cause all our problems. Past that ignition switch is your most likely culprit. If the P0601 is actually a P0101, make sure vehicle does not have cold air intake or oiled air filter. If either are present, replace with stock intake parts. you're chasing your tail on the PCM until you check the battery and ignition switch first.