Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WOOHOO... Got my Gobi Rack! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5397)

MarK M 02-09-2006 03:25 AM

One question... Tim or anyone who has installed the stealth rack... Are you guys using the pre-wire that came with the Gobi when install your PIAAS?

If so, how are you wiring it?

MarK M 02-09-2006 03:28 AM

are you guys just cutting the ends off and tapping it with the providing connections?

then adding the end caps to the fronts and wiring it down to the engine bay?

timgco 02-09-2006 03:39 AM

Mark, check you PM. Give me a call.

MarK M 02-09-2006 03:51 AM

called you no answer...

Sewie 02-09-2006 03:48 PM

Umm, hello, pics?

The Green Lantern 02-09-2006 04:06 PM

a Gobi roofrack w/ offroad lights, SMA Brushguard and 35's, you're all set!!

MarK M 02-09-2006 04:13 PM

Pics will be coming i promise! Just not finished with the install!

you're right Green... all I need now is the 35s. the SMA brushgaurd should be arriving today!

Man, Tim was right, it's no joke wiring the lights up!

nmikes 02-10-2006 01:31 AM

Hey Mark,

know what you mean, had my Gobi rack installed on my way over to DC and they are definately worth the coin. Timgco is cooler than **** and totally went above and beyond. The ladder is also something I thank god I have every time I clamber up to the rack. I'm looking into getting the lamps installed on mine as well so will be following this thread pretty close. Beats having the dealership do it at 100 bucks an hour.

MarK M 02-10-2006 07:13 AM

He nmikes,

yes, the Gobi rack kicks ass! Tim is an awesome person and very knowledgeable! I just now finished with the RACK, lights 360 around, SMA Brush Gaurd, and lights on the brush gaurd as well. Oh and, finally mounted the CB antenna. I decided to mount it on the rack itself! Boy that was something else to tackle. Next time one mod at a time!

I will definately post pictures tomorrow! Whew... now going to bed!

MarK M 02-10-2006 06:49 PM

pics are up!

Guppy 02-12-2006 03:00 AM

Mark,

I was wondering why you would go through all the trouble and expence of adding on all the off road type accessories and not have the Adventure, or off road package on the H3. I am assuming this because you have the standard 32" wheels on it.

My question is not to offend but just to be curious. I know that the Gobi is a very expensive attachment as well as some of the other items you have added. I think you have done a good job and everything looks great.

Steve - SanJose 02-12-2006 03:41 AM

Mark,

Nick rack and lights! How's the wind noise at 80-85 which is a common speed on 680 freeway?

Guppy,

I'll let Mark answer your question. But all base/lux/adventure H3's are very capable off-road. And the Hummer thing here in California is not about economizing or satisfying basic needs. Accessorizing and customizing is part of the fun, whether it's the offroad look or adding bling. It's only money.

S.

H3 lux pkg, chrome pkg, chrome wheels, chrome side steps auto, XM, sunroof, hitch, Hitchcam, RW chrome locking gas cap cover, etc.

MarK M 02-13-2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guppy:
Mark,

I was wondering why you would go through all the trouble and expence of adding on all the off road type accessories and not have the Adventure, or off road package on the H3. I am assuming this because you have the standard 32" wheels on it.

My question is not to offend but just to be curious. I know that the Gobi is a very expensive attachment as well as some of the other items you have added. I think you have done a good job and everything looks great.

Hey Guppy, I can see why you would say that but no worries you didn’t offend me at all. Even though I don’t have the adventure package doesn’t mean I can wheel! All I'm lacking are the lockers and bigger tires. One of which will be taken care of soon. I'm planning on getting the Toyo Open Country.

As for the lockers... well, this weekend was a test of 4x4ing for me and even though I didn’t have lockers I surprised a lot of people. You can do very well at 4-low and using the BTM technique... which I learned this weekend.

The guys that went on the snow run in Tahoe this weekend can concur.

MarK M 02-13-2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve-SanJose-H3:
Mark,

Nick rack and lights! How's the wind noise at 80-85 which is a common speed on 680 freeway?

Guppy,

I'll let Mark answer your question. But all base/lux/adventure H3's are very capable off-road. And the Hummer thing here in California is not about economizing or satisfying basic needs. Accessorizing and customizing is part of the fun, whether it's the offroad look or adding bling. It's only money.

S.

H3 lux pkg, chrome pkg, chrome wheels, chrome side steps auto, XM, sunroof, hitch, Hitchcam, RW chrome locking gas cap cover, etc.

Hey Steve,

Actually it isnt that bad. I did get some noise but i was expecting worse and it's actaully not bad. If you have your radio on you almost dont even hear it.

hmrlvr 02-13-2006 03:11 AM

Your truck is looking real good. Good job

MarK M 02-13-2006 05:36 AM

thanks... lookin' to do a lot more!

Tommy36998 04-24-2006 01:41 AM

Looking good..how long to install rack and all lights. I just order a standard gobi piaa 520 4 and 2 piaa back up lights..

GregDiesel 04-27-2006 09:25 AM

truck is looking good Mark.

KCJohn 04-30-2006 07:51 PM

I used all the pre-wires for the backup lights. I ran the wires from under the hood up thru the plastic next to the windshield. I used a heavy duty trailer plug that is up at rack level so I could disconnect the wiring ( and hence the rack) without cutting any wires. The front light switch is a SPDT (single-pole / double-throw) switch so I can have the middle 2 lights on (like a low) when the switch is down and all 4 lights on when the switch is up. This requires a diode in the circuit to prevent "back-flow" of the current between the high to low switch. I also have a LED indicator on the panel.

I'll post some pictures when the system will let me.

westhillsat 05-04-2006 01:41 AM

Mark,

Not sure how I missed this thread, but very nice!!! Great job!!!