Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fuel injector cleaner?Check engine light?! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36180)

zion1976 12-09-2008 12:06 AM

Fuel injector cleaner?Check engine light?!

Hey guys this is a wonderful forum! Anyway i just picked up a 06 H3 base with a 5 speed manual tranny and 32k miles..The car is in excellent condition and runs excellent..I recently filled the tank with 91 octane sunoco gas and than a day afetr i bought a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner.I know your supposed to wait till the tank is empty before adding the cleaner and than fill it up..So anyway i put the injector cleaner to a already full tank of gas.SO this afternoon i went outside to start my rig to warm her up a little.. i came back and there it was the dreaded check engine light..Car wasnt sluggish and ran excellent.. could this mishap with the feul injector cleaner caused this?? any thought would be appreciated..just hope it not the dreaded head problem!!!!:crying:

BradO 12-09-2008 07:19 AM

Re: Fuel injector cleaner?Check engine light?!

Most commonly the gas cap wasn't secured tight enough. Make sure you have at least 3-4 turns that click when locking and run the vehicle for 3 to 4 cycles (Turn on, drive at least 5 miles, turn off). Then see what happens. If all goes well, your light will stop coming on.

fourfourto 12-09-2008 04:12 PM

Anything higher then 87 octane is a waste,even pulling my 4,000 LB camper up hills I found higher octane not needed.

I put 20 to 35 gallon quality fuel injector cleaner (not the up to 20 gal stuff for cars)in at every oil change since new and have not had a problem.
I did add it then filled up? Maybe hook some turns and take off/stop hard try to stir it up a bit.
If you have onstar it will tell you the reason the light went on,Its still under warranty so bring it to the dealer if light stays on or comes on again.

zion1976 12-09-2008 11:09 PM

thanks guys it just came off today..

Viet Nam Vette 12-11-2008 02:31 AM

I remember reading in the manual GM "NOT recommending any Additives in the fuel including FI Cleaner... I could be Wrong BWTFDIK

zacknolden 06-25-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zion1976
Hey guys this is a wonderful forum! Anyway i just picked up a 06 H3 base with a 5 speed manual tranny and 32k miles..The car is in excellent condition and runs excellent..I recently filled the tank with 91 octane sunoco gas and than a day afetr i bought a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner.I know your supposed to wait till the tank is empty before adding the cleaner and than fill it up..So anyway i put the injector cleaner to a already full tank of gas.SO this afternoon i went outside to start my rig to warm her up a little.. i came back and there it was the dreaded check engine light..Car wasnt sluggish and ran excellent.. could this mishap with the feul injector cleaner caused this?? any thought would be appreciated..just hope it not the dreaded head problem!!!!:crying:

I am having the same problem right now. What I want to know right now is, what exactly did you do for this one?