Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   transfer case leak. Help (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42526)

smileynialley 04-24-2012 09:23 PM

transfer case leak. Help

Hi guys,
I've had a look at my transfer case tonight and the leak has gotten worse.
The seal where the prop shaft comes out and goes to the rear axel, has a lot of movement and is leaking terribly with oil.

Can anyone tell me what parts i need to fix this? i can find the seal on the diagrams for the car but not the bearings etc? im assuming the bearing is warn which is why the thing is leaking but cannot find the part number etc.
help
thanks
Niall

HummerMann 04-25-2012 02:56 PM

Re: transfer case leak. Help

I've always had a little weeping from the back of my transfer case and never had a problem with it. I get about a drip a week from it and took it in to be looked at two years ago at the Hummer dealereship and they told me they'd change the seal if I wanted to, but it was pretty common on these GM transfer cases once they get over 40,000 miles on them. I change my own fluids every 20k because my H2 sees a lot of creek water and never noticed that it created much of a low fluid condition. I use Royal Purple in my diffs and transfer case.

smileynialley 04-25-2012 04:33 PM

thanks mate,
this is more than a little drip, it is absolutely pissing out and has covered the undercarriage in oil.
i know the seal has gone but what about the bearings? would that account for the extreme amount of play in the prop shaft?

HummerJim 04-25-2012 07:21 PM

Sounds like it could be bearings to me. Mine doesn't leak at all and I wouldn't think it normal for it to drip. This sounds like a case for HUMTECH!

smileynialley 04-25-2012 10:40 PM

apparently it is common for the transfer case rear output seal to wear and leak, not sure if this would cause the half inch or so play in the rear prop shaft.
i figured it would be the bearing which has worn causing the play, which has worn the seal away but these vehicles are new to me.

adamw89_2000 04-30-2012 12:24 PM

i lifted my turck with a bds 6" lift. it lifted it right at 8" but my seal has leaked ever since i lifted it and i installed a new seal! any help with this problem would be great to help stop this....

HUMTECH 05-01-2012 12:01 AM

Some movement in the slip yoke is normal, i would install a new seal and use a little anaroebic sealer around the outside edge of the seal where it mates to the case and try that. The case has a bushing in it that is not replaceable comes with new case. Make sure no grooves in slip yoke where seal rides, if there is some minor grooving you can polish it with emery cloth using solvent as lubricant.

HUMTECH 05-01-2012 12:04 AM

As for the lifted truck, did you lower the t-case when lift was installed to correct driveline angles. If not that could be part of the problem as well as the shaft may be too short now and the slip toke too far out of t-case allowing excessive up and down movement.