Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Liftgate (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29468)

tower 09-03-2007 07:47 AM

Power Liftgate

Yes I'm being lazy and crazy, but with the leg trouble, a power liftgate would be really nice. I still need to swing the spare tire out. Anyone try anything like this? Any recommendations? I found a some actuators here, here and here. I guess I should look at an Escalade or something like that to see how they did it. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

tower 09-03-2007 07:09 PM

Re: Power Liftgate

C'mon, Jonahs, Taz, Anyone? :(

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ 09-06-2007 10:08 AM

tower,

Running the idea around in my head trying to come up with idea. I guess the old brain cells do not work as good.

TAZ

tower 09-07-2007 01:39 AM

Thanks, Taz. I'm thinking the easiest set-up would be an actuator which attaches to the gas strut attachment points. If I get around to prototyping you will know.

dkhummerh2 09-08-2007 10:00 PM

I would be interested in doing that to mine as well. That is about the only thing that I miss from my Lincoln Navi. Please post pics if you get it done.
dk

tower 09-09-2007 01:14 AM

When I do, I will, definitely.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ 09-13-2007 04:22 AM

tower,

Have you decided to go with the actuator arms for hatch door? I have been looking around and it seems the only way to go if a proper length is found and also has the gearing to pull door closed securely.

TAZ

tower 09-13-2007 06:03 AM

Taz,

I finally got around to measuring the struts today. It looks like when fully open, the exposed rod measures around 7.25". So I'm thinking an 8" actuator should get it (you can set a limit on the extension). I didn't measure how much is exposed when the door is shut, but I'm thinking it must be less than 2" (the next size down is 6"). I will measure when closed anon. The 24" linear actuator has an 800 lb. pull. The shorter ones are 300 lbs. I'm guessing 300 will be enough. But I'm thinking I will need a second actuator built inside of the door to mimic the pulling out of the external door handle from inside the door. That could really complicate things. (It's either that or remove the latch completely which raises all sorts of liability issues should something or someone fall out the back while on the road.) Any input from you will be greatly appreciated.
:excited:

~ron

tower 09-15-2007 05:41 AM

I spoke with one of the manufacturers today. I was wrong, the shorter actuator is rated @ 250 lbs. I asked if only having one on one side would torque the liftgate and he said it might be best to go with 2 (one on each side). I don't know if that's true or if he just wants to sell me a second (expensive) actuator. For the door latch, he said I could probably use a less expensive (lower mass capacity) actuator, but that I needed to feel how much push was needed to trigger the latch. I guess I'll need to tear open the door skin and find out. He also sent me a spec sheet for the actuator. I need to see if the width will fit into the gas strut cavity. TBC...

tower 09-23-2007 04:58 AM

I think I have my hardware selected. A remeasure will comfirm. Please click on photo for more information.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ 09-24-2007 09:14 AM

Very good info tower!!!!!! I agree with going for 2 acuator arms. It is a little costly but, you get out of what you put in to it.

I do not see anything to add to what you have come up with. When you get it all dialed in and tests done I would be grateful for parts list and wiring diagram. I think this option would be of good use to anyone.

Thanks Big Time,

TAZ

tower 09-27-2007 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

dkhummerh2 10-04-2007 10:52 PM

that is very cool. I will check back for pics. That is the only thing that I miss from my Navigator, well maybe the ac seats too!
dk

subunix 10-06-2007 12:38 AM

Yeah its a very cool idea, ive been trying to get them to do it for the H3 in the plant but its expensive

Shrek_H2 10-06-2007 06:29 AM

Im interested as well please keep us up to date how it works out. Maybe you can put the kit together and sell it after:perfect10s: