Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Stock radio & Onstar (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3028)

juice57 08-31-2005 05:54 PM

I read that the H3 comes with the new verison of Onstar (Gen 6). The gen 6 Onstar is supposed to be wired through the stock radio. If I put and aftermarket radio in, will I lose my Onstar.

juice57 08-31-2005 05:54 PM

I read that the H3 comes with the new verison of Onstar (Gen 6). The gen 6 Onstar is supposed to be wired through the stock radio. If I put and aftermarket radio in, will I lose my Onstar.

H3 Hummer 08-31-2005 06:26 PM

Not sure about the gen 6 thing but it is wired through the stock radio for sure. If you put in an aftermarket radio you should get the correct interface called "MOBILE AUDIO INTERFACING EQUIPMENT"

Your in luck it is the same as the H2 with a little adjustment to the pins. I can send you an electronic document on this if you want.

The in dash bezel (plastic) has just come out this month. Not that you need to use this bezel but it is cleaner and there is no need to have a custom built dash thing. They will try to charge you around $175 for the MOBILE AUDIO INTERFACING EQUIPMENT but they will go as low as $90.00 so just bother them to do so.

juice57 08-31-2005 08:20 PM

I sent you an email with my email so you can send me the doc.

Do you have a link so I could see the in dash bezel?

By the way thanks

First Hummer 08-31-2005 08:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by juice57:
I sent you an email with my email so you can send me the doc.

Do you have a link so I could see the in dash bezel?

By the way thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya I would like to see a picture of the Bezel myself.

H3 Hummer 08-31-2005 08:45 PM

I don't have the bezel yet but this weekend all should be hooked up and I will post some pics.

I am getting an Alpine so I can interface directly with my IpOd.

Should be sweet. I will email you the .pdf document. I don't know how to post it here.

h3\'er 08-31-2005 09:51 PM

Dash mount Kit is Metra 99-3304

this link will address the mod's need to deal with using aftermarket radios..

http://www.pac-audio.com/bulletins/os2.htm

Read #6 that pertains to the H3

h3\'er 08-31-2005 09:54 PM

To Retain onstar you will also need Pac-audio's OS2 Interface

H3 Hummer 08-31-2005 10:38 PM

I emailed the .pdf document. It is at the link also that h3'er put up.

Thanks,

f5fstop 09-02-2005 07:49 AM

Gen 6 is correct.

H3 Hummer 09-04-2005 01:55 AM

There are 3 types of stock radios ( that I know of). One of them does not use the bose interface but another one that I don't know the name. I think it is the cheapeast stock stereo that doen't play MP3's.

h3\'er 09-07-2005 04:39 PM

Just changed out the Factory radio for the Pioneer AVIC-N2 Nav Unit.

Thought it might be a bit of a trouble but went very smoothly. about a 3 hour job to do the install.

Head Unit goes right in with the Metra 99-3304 Kit and the Pac-audio os2 intherface to plug into the factory harness and to retain the onstar. Also need to add the CM1 to retain Chimes.

Mounted the hideway unit under the drivers seat and the XM tuner under the passenger seat.

Also added Pioneers wireless remote that attaaches to the steering wheel and voice recognition. Well worth the extra $50.

Pictures forth coming.

Needless to say I am very impressed with nav features and audio quality!

Game Over 09-07-2005 07:57 PM

you have any pics/instructions as far as bezel removal ?

thanks

Crisco 09-08-2005 12:09 PM

Hello all, I recently purchased an H3 and have been wanting to install an after market head unit. I have found the install kit but need the wiring instructions. Is there any chance I can get that info? Thanks.

h3\'er 09-08-2005 02:51 PM

Dash bezel removal.

Toyed with the awhile tried screw driver under the edge first time. then found this little trick works the best.

The 2 cigarette lighter sockets on the lower right side. use your right hand insert first 2 fingers palm up pull forward grasping tops of the lighter sockets.

Bezel should pop right off. there are several plugs on the back you will have to unclip to completely remove it

h3\'er 09-08-2005 02:53 PM

Wiring directions should come with Adapters

http://www.pac-audio.com

Use OS2 adapter and CM1 chime module.

Crisco 09-08-2005 03:23 PM

Never mind, duh I found the above link to PAC_Audio. Thanks anyway.

H3 Hummer 09-08-2005 10:19 PM

I got an Alpine last weekend - they thought the OS2 adapter worked with my radio also. It doesn't it only works with some of the H3's. If you have the cheesy no MP3 playing factory stereo you don't need the Os2 but you do need something else.

Game Over 09-08-2005 10:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h3'er:
Dash bezel removal.

Toyed with the awhile tried screw driver under the edge first time. then found this little trick works the best.

The 2 cigarette lighter sockets on the lower right side. use your right hand insert first 2 fingers palm up pull forward grasping tops of the lighter sockets.

Bezel should pop right off. there are several plugs on the back you will have to unclip to completely remove it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there any screws somewhere that needs to be removed before doing the two fingers in the socket trick ( sounds dirty ) or is the bezel just held in place by tight fighting it with the inside clips.

thanks

h3\'er 09-09-2005 01:08 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Hummer:
I got an Alpine last weekend - they thought the OS2 adapter worked with my radio also. It doesn't it only works with some of the H3's. If you have the cheesy no MP3 playing factory stereo you don't need the Os2 but you do need something else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OS2 adpater cares less about what radio you have in there. Its being removed anyway.
the OS2 adapter allows you to plug into the factory harness directly and retain the onstar capability. Doesn't matter what you have for factory radio Monsoon or non Monsoon.

Also makes for a clean install if you ever sell just unplug and put the factory radio back in