Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Air Suspension Problems (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22268)

TantricH2 11-16-2006 06:21 AM

Rear Air Suspension Problems

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I'm also a new owner of a 2003 H2. I've owned 3 corvettes prior to this, so I'm treading on very new territory (so please forgive me for anything ignorant I may say).

My problem: The H2 has a 6" lift with Rear Air Ride. When the truck is on, the compressor runs constantly. Turned off, the rear end drops back down to stock height. As you can imagine, this looks rather ridiculous. I've only had the truck for a week, and each time it takes longer and longer for the rear end to pick up and be level with the front. I've had it to a local dealership to check all the lines for leaks - but they've found none. The techs there suspect it may be a leak in the compressor or a malfunctioning modulator.. but are unsure. I'd hate to drop $2k just to find out that isn't my problem.

Can someone please offer me some assistance/advice. I attached a picture of what its supposed to look like.. but have none of the rear sagging.

Josh

PARAGON 11-16-2006 02:45 PM

Re: Rear Air Suspension Problems

You have a slow leak in a bag, line or connector. You can raise the rear (for off-road purposes) by pushing the button on the dash.

Do that, shut off the engine and then see if you can find where the air is leaking from. Maybe smoke a cigar while you are at it and see if the smoke swirls anywhere if can't hear the air escaping.

The compressor is running constantly because it's trying to play keep up with the leak while keeping the rear level.

TantricH2 11-16-2006 07:09 PM

Thank you for the response. But like I said before, the dealership had it for two days looking for a leak and could not find one. If they couldn't find one, I know I'm not going to be able to. Is it possible that the leak is in the compressor itself?

Josh

PARAGON 11-16-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TantricH2
Thank you for the response. But like I said before, the dealership had it for two days looking for a leak and could not find one. If they couldn't find one, I know I'm not going to be able to. Is it possible that the leak is in the compressor itself?

Josh

Don't assume the dealership simply is the last word on a subject.

There's a leak, go try to find it yourself. Air is escaping the system somewhere and until you either find out where or eliminate other areas, you are pretty much stuck, because your dealer has basically told you that they will simply replace it all to take care of the problem.

Drainbamaged 11-17-2006 02:05 AM

I had this problem also when i bought my 03 and this is how i found out the problem after the dealership looked at it 3 times. (you can also use this method to find a slow leak in a tire ;) )
1. Get a spray bottle, put some baby shampoo or dish washing liquid and water in it.
2. Spray the mixture over each part of the air suspension components seperatly.
3. Watch for bubbles.

I would recommend to do one component at a time so you can realy analyze each part to see if there is a leak. Spray the mixture everywhere and heavy.
If you have a leak you will most likely find it.

Dug 11-17-2006 02:33 AM

I'm having rear air probs too. My service air suspension has been flashing since July. hehe. THink i'll try to look at it this weekend. Naaah!

I think you have a air leak also Tantric. If your compressor runs when the truck is running and your suspension drops when you shut it off. It sure would make me look for a air leak. Take some of wifeys dishwashing soap and put a little in a spray bottle with water . Then spray the bags, lines, fittings , compressor , etc. When you get done finding the leak , show us a pic of your wifes titties would ya?

TantricH2 11-17-2006 05:07 AM

Ok guys, I took your advice. After using the soap in a water bottle, I found bubbles on the right side air bag towards the bottom of the bag. I didn't see any sort of puncture though. I don't have the knowledge to disassemble anything, so I contacted a friend at a local speed shop. He said that I will need to order a new air bag assembly for that side. Would he be right, or do I have other options?

Thanks for all the help guys. You have saved me a bundle. :beerchug:

I have lost all faith in the techs at my local dealership. :twak:

TantricH2 11-17-2006 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dug
When you get done finding the leak , show us a pic of your wifes titties would ya?

:clapping: Single as of the moment, Dug.

geeroy10 11-17-2006 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TantricH2
:clapping: Single as of the moment, Dug.

Titties of a random co-worker will be ok too!

PARAGON 11-17-2006 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeroy10
Titties of a random co-worker will be ok too!

just random tits are good as well.

contact "partsguy" on here (pm him) to get you an airbag.

H2 Bill 11-17-2006 07:24 PM

The air bag is about a 20 minute job to replace. By the bag and let your friend install it. I would do both sides if I were you. I had one go bad and the dealer only did the one side and I had it back in with the other one leaking about 2 months later.

TantricH2 11-17-2006 07:27 PM

Thanks for that advice, Bill. I think I'll do that. Im in the process of contacting Partsguy now.

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon 11-17-2006 08:37 PM

Looks like you got it all covered. I'm assuming your contact is pretty knowledgable with airbags, since (again assuming), he's worked on your corvette?

mdoyle 11-17-2006 08:47 PM

I had the same problem you described- the leak was intermittant but it was the bag. Since it was an 03 the dealership performed a code update for the compressor and reset the ride height in the process.

It's been fine ever since.

TantricH2 11-18-2006 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon
Looks like you got it all covered. I'm assuming your contact is pretty knowledgable with airbags, since (again assuming), he's worked on your corvette?

Haha! He owns the place, but is not the only tech that works there. He has a guy that specializes in 4x4's. ;)

timgco 11-18-2006 04:13 PM

as Mdoyle said, make sure to get the update done.

TantricH2 11-19-2006 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgco
as Mdoyle said, make sure to get the update done.

So you're sayin I have to go back to the dealership? :mad:

telipack 12-21-2008 06:00 PM

Hello,

i know the thread is old... But:

1. Some one has a OEM Part Number for this air bags?
2. Are the Bags different or are the bags the same model (for left or right side)
3. Some one has the price for this bags? Because i need the bags shipped to germany...

Many Thanks

DRTYFN 12-21-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telipack
Hello,

i know the thread is old... But:

1. Some one has a OEM Part Number for this air bags?
2. Are the Bags different or are the bags the same model (for left or right side)
3. Some one has the price for this bags? Because i need the bags shipped to germany...

Many Thanks

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

IRA51 12-22-2008 06:32 PM

part# 15938306,replace both . my local Chevy dealer had them for $120.00 each wholesale .