Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   H3 engine turns but won't start. (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39056)

RnHummerGirl 02-21-2010 04:09 PM

H3 engine turns but won't start.

Hi All--

I decided to join this forum to get in touch with other Hummer enthusiasts and to maybe get some help.

After graduating nursing school, I decided to treat myself to a new car. I went to carmax and purchased a 2007 H3, 29k miles on it. That was in early January. In early february I had carmax install a remote start that I had purchased from them when I signed from the vehicle. Until a week ago there were no problems.

My first problem maybe a week ago...just got done with a painful dentist visit, wanted to go home and take a nap. Tried to use the remote start, all the engine did was turn. Called carmax, but ten minutes later car started. I read something in my manual about the theft deterrent system. Went to grab food on the way home. Tried remote start. Again all the engine did was turn.
Called carmax cursing at them. They towed vehicle, called me the next day and told me it was the battery, it was bad and it had a 9v battery when it needed a 12v battery. I really didn't think it was the battery but the truck started this time when I went to pick it up and amazingly had even MORE power.

Ok, everything was fine until the next day. Took cats to vet, remote started fine. Stopped to get food on the way home. Guess what doesn't start. Didn't have cell phone and had to carry two screaming cats home. Needless to say carmax was cursed out again and they towed my vehicle. They said the computer system says the engine is fine. However when trying to start my vehicle, when it would just turn I would see the check engine light. I told them it was the remote start. They are going to check into it monday.

Ok, that was long winded. I'm sure you didn't need all the details. But the fact of the matter is I'm hoping carmax didn't sell me a lemon, I thought they had good cars. I researched hummer and it has excellent reviews. What gives?

Janelle

fourfourto 02-21-2010 05:46 PM

Re: H3 engine turns but won't start.

I dont think its the truck.
Its the auto start was not installed properly(or bad connection from not being installed properly)

pdsq99f4 02-23-2010 12:00 AM

The remote start is most likely at fault here. There is a bypass module for the remote start system that is not "tricking" the anti-theft propperly. I would have them remove the remote start and ask for my money back. Not worth the headache to have your car not want to start because someone has hacked into the wiring.

BACKNBLACK 02-23-2010 02:01 AM

Happened to me in 2 of my 4 H3's. The H3 Bypass module has an issue with Remote Start. Wen this happens to you must wait 10 full minutes before trying to start it again (DONT USE REMOTE, USE THE KEY) the bypass module takes 10 minutes to get out of "theft mode" this is in your manual as well, I forgot what page. The only way to get this to full proof work is to get a shop to "OLD SCHOOL" wire around the bypass module. I even had the GM bypass module put in over 3 different remote starts and that was the only way to get it to work 100%.

terry_ohio 02-26-2010 02:21 PM

Yes had this problem with my h3t and my viper remote start alot earlier in my remote's "career". The first reason was because on my key chain i had another "fob" for my gym. They said that could be doin something, so i removed it. Then it actually seemed to happen on the coldest of days...like when my truck would sit from when i came home from work at 4pm til the next morning and the weather was below 10 degrees(kinda defeated the purpose of the autostart). So i would actually autostart it right before i went to bed, just so it didn't sit for long periods in the cold weather. That seemed to work for awhile. And now i have a garage so it doesn't ever sit for long periods of time in cold weather and it hasn't not started in about 6 months. I still use the autostart with the garage, just to use it. And every know and then i just use it to start it so it's being used. But long story short, my dealer actually said alot of people have trouble with autostarts and H3's and H3Ts. You would think in 2010 some of this stuff would just be already installed.

HUMTECH 02-27-2010 05:09 AM

Buy me a plane ticket to Vegas and I will fix it for you.

Tmb2014 01-22-2011 06:00 PM

I started to have this problem 3 months ago... what I have learned after much research and trial and error, is that H3 has a defect with their theft system and there is no way to correct this problem but you can work around it. The first thing you do is before you start the vehicle, unloock your car by using your unlock button until it completely clicks unlock (usually about 3-4 times) then start. If you open the passanger door and try to start it, you may experience this problem.. What happens is your truck automatically assumes that it is being stolen, and will not issue fuel for the initial start..if you wait between 6-15 minutes it will automatically reset itself and you should be able to start it. Ever since I have been starting the car by unlocking several times, I haven't had the problem until last night when I got into the truck by the passanger side before the drivers side door was open, and it wouldn't start for 10 minutes and then it reset itself and it started up fine. I won't do a remote start on this car because of that reason, but try the unlock button before starting with the remote. Good Luck!!!