Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Bilstein / Cognito Hummer H3 Leveling Front Shocks??? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26955)

tomp 05-14-2007 04:27 PM

New Bilstein / Cognito Hummer H3 Leveling Front Shocks???

http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=486

Anyone ordered these yet?

Seems to be a better priced option than doing the Truxx leveling kit, which is more expensive. However, the Truxx kit would allow you to not have to worry about finding future extended length shocks and give you more shock options.

MtnHmr 05-16-2007 04:32 PM

Re: New Bilstein / Cognito Hummer H3 Leveling Front Shocks???

I guess since no one has resonded, the new guy will chime in. I have had these on my truck since January. Basically, I cranked the stock keys(I am running about 23.25 inches on the front end) installed the shocks, and had the front end aligned. I love them. Very nice ride. No body roll in the corners. I bought them straight form Cognito Motorsports as they are fairly local to me. Very easy to install.
Chad at Cognito explained to me that they are an existing part # from Bilstein that they take and add the lower mounts to. I liked this as it will be easy to replace if the need arises.
I do alot of dirt road running and these make the ride great. Hope this helps.

HUMMJAY 05-16-2007 05:49 PM

I bought the TRUXXX kit, had it installed, hated it for 6mo., then had it removed

Steve - SanJose 05-16-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMMJAY
I bought the TRUXXX kit, had it installed, hated it for 6mo., then had it removed

Hummjay - what did you hate about the TRUXXX kit?

Desert Dan 05-16-2007 07:04 PM

With the extended shocks what happens when you bottom out?

W/O extending the bump stop the shock is going to take a beating.

Any thoughts?

MtnHmr 05-16-2007 07:35 PM

Desert Dan,
I asked that same question when I purchased. The Bilstein's actually compress to a shorter overall length than the stock shocks by about a half inch and are longer overall by several inches when extended. I verified this when I was installing. Hope this helps.

HUMMJAY 05-16-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Hummjay - what did you hate about the TRUXXX kit?

I just thought it road like chit,,, when breaking the nose would dive, when accelerating the nose would take off,,,,, when instaled to TRUXXX specs it made the truck look like it was walking up hill, also the techs could never really correct the camber on the front tires and 35" procomps arnt cheap,,,so I learnd my lesson with cheap lift's :twak:

tomp 05-16-2007 09:46 PM

The problem I saw with the Truxx kit is that their shock extension lengthens the shock too far. This is due to the type of shock mount the H3 has and not Truxx's fault. There was no way around it. What this means is that you have to crank up the TBs too far to benefit from the extensions. Once you go "Too Far" as you do with this kit, then you bottom out on the other end of the shock too soon.

Now, the problem with these Bilsteins, is that I am not sure how they were able to accomplish longer travel length while using a a shorter body? Well, I can tell you my first thought: The stock shocks have internal and external bump stops. These are mase by Monroe/Rancho for Hummer with these specs, required by Hummer. This basically shortens the travel of the shock and provides protection on both ends of travel range. What I am afraid of, is that Bilstein either did not know or chose not to include the bump stops!

This 2nd paragraph addresses Desert Dan's concern, if using the stock, Monroe or Rancho shocks. I am not sure on the Bilsteins yet - but stay tuned.

Please be patient - I will get some answers when the new shocks arrive

Hunner 05-16-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dan
With the extended shocks what happens when you bottom out?

W/O extending the bump stop the shock is going to take a beating.

Any thoughts?

The problem seems to be "topping out" however I have run mine a year without problems with the stock shocks.

Mine is cranked 8 turns. Stock the bump stop is just touching the arm. Turned up you can get a finger in the gap. Not much travel. I did notice some nose dive with heavy braking. Maybe one of those shock type bump stops would do the trick.

HummBebe 05-16-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomp
The problem I saw with the Truxx kit is that their shock extension lengthens the shock too far. This is due to the type of shock mount the H3 has and not Truxx's fault. There was no way around it. What this means is that you have to crank up the TBs too far to benefit from the extensions. Once you go "Too Far" as you do with this kit, then you bottom out on the other end of the shock too soon.

Now, the problem with these Bilsteins, is that I am not sure how they were able to accomplish longer travel length while using a a shorter body? Well, I can tell you my first thought: The stock shocks have internal and external bump stops. These are mase by Monroe/Rancho for Hummer with these specs, required by Hummer. This basically shortens the travel of the shock and provides protection on both ends of travel range. What I am afraid of, is that Bilstein either did not know or chose not to include the bump stops!

This 2nd paragraph addresses Desert Dan's concern, if using the stock, Monroe or Rancho shocks. I am not sure on the Bilsteins yet - but stay tuned.

Please be patient - I will get some answers when the new shocks arrive

Sweet, can't wait to get the skinny. There are other options, like the Fox H3 shock, but would like feed back on the cognito.

tomp 05-17-2007 12:23 AM

Hi Bebe,

I spoke to Cognito a while ago. Sounds like they left off the bump stops on the Bilsteins and they use the same length shock body etc as stock.

Probably not as cush in high impact situations when you might hit the frame-mount stops, but should provide better ride overall. Cognito claims very big improvement in ride quality over stock with cranked TBs.

If it's the same body length as stock and doesn't have the bump stops, they may improve stock height TB suspension setup as well. I know my H3 had some basket-balling ocurring even when stock, compared to my H2. Do note however, that the H2 has both internal and external stops on the shocks as well.

Anyhow, Bilsteins on their way....

HummBebe 05-17-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Hi Bebe,

I spoke to Cognito a while ago. Sounds like they left off the bump stops on the Bilsteins and they use the same length shock body etc as stock.

Probably not as cush in high impact situations when you might hit the frame-mount stops, but should provide better ride overall. Cognito claims very big improvement in ride quality over stock with cranked TBs.

If it's the same body length as stock and doesn't have the bump stops, they may improve stock height TB suspension setup as well. I know my H3 had some basket-balling ocurring even when stock, compared to my H2. Do note however, that the H2 has both internal and external stops on the shocks as well.

Anyhow, Bilsteins on their way....

Cool. I still think a slightly longer travel shock with the stops would be a better solution. Without the internal bump stop, whats to prevent it from pulling apart? I completely separated the rod on 2 shocks.

Also, the HD torsion bars would prevent the BB effect.

I guess we will find out :)

tomp 05-17-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummBebe
Cool. I still think a slightly longer travel shock with the stops would be a better solution. Without the internal bump stop, whats to prevent it from pulling apart? I completely separated the rod on 2 shocks.

Also, the HD torsion bars would prevent the BB effect.

I guess we will find out :)

With a longer shock we shouldn't need the internal bump stop, as the upper control arm should hit the metal frame stop before the shock gets to an over-extended point where damage is of concern. However, then we have to worry about bottoming since the shock has no external stop - and rely soley on the soft frame stop.

If this turns out to be an issue, we could add the Daystar stops to our shocks http://www.daystarweb.com/ItemForm.a...0-c22acc5e875b or replace the frame-stop with longer poly's: http://www.daystarweb.com/Categories...0-c22acc5e875b

If I am not mistaken, you blew the 9000s? These have close to the same travel as stock and include the internal & external stops on the shocks. I really need to confirm this with Rancho, but this is how it is on the H2.

I really like the idea behind these Bilsteins without any other changes being done. It will be important when we get them installed to ensure the H3 front end height is in the shocks correct range. I will take some measurements and get it set up where it should be in the proper height range for them and I think we'll we good to go.

Desert Dan 05-17-2007 03:50 PM

I would rather have the frame bump stops due the work than the shock than the shocks.

HummBebe 05-17-2007 03:53 PM

I have all the stats on the 9000's, with both the internal and external measurements.

The 9000's shocks have almost 2 inches less travel than stock shocks. I have been running a pair of stock shocks up front for my last couple of offroad trips, and they are much better.

I have posted the measurements in one of my shock threads, I'll see if I can locate it.

What is iti that makes the Bilstiens different? Just the removal of the internal stops?

HummBebe 05-17-2007 03:56 PM

Aren't we limiting travel with the longer stops?

If you disconnected the front swaybar, would the negate the effect of the lower stop?

I'm working on some front quick discos now.

Desert Dan 05-17-2007 04:27 PM

Mo Travel is Mo Better

tomp 05-18-2007 05:00 PM

Get home from work last night and find long skinny box on the porch. Great, shocks for H3 came in. Can't wait to install them and try them out!

Get all the tools out and I get to work. Get shocks off and walk over to open box. Yikes, it's not even the freakin' shocks! It's trailing arms I sent out months ago to have new bushings installed. Fun was over...no test ride last night. Wasted effort....:twak:

HummBebe 05-18-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Get home from work last night and find long skinny box on the porch. Great, shocks for H3 came in. Can't wait to install them and try them out!

Get all the tools out and I get to work. Get shocks off and walk over to open box. Yikes, it's not even the freakin' shocks! It's trailing arms I sent out months ago to have new bushings installed. Fun was over...no test ride last night. Wasted effort....:twak:

When you do get them.....don't forget to take compressed and extended measurements as well as overall length before you install them.:D

tomp 05-18-2007 08:38 PM

Ok, I will try. However, I understand them to be high pressure charged and may be kind of difficult depending on the PSI they used:beerchug: